Need to Listen to Lascala II's

PYRO

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pyro, Customsteve's offer is well worth considering to help you put things in perspective!

I do not agree that LaScala bass is muddy. It is, after all, horn-loaded bass that is both tight and expansive like the K-horn's -- except the new thicker sidewalls have made it tighter still (the K-horns have a more expansive image IMO). Also IMO, the new AL/AK-4 generation of crossovers has improved the integration and smoothness of bass, mid and treble horns.

I had the privilege of briefly hearing the La's that Steve picked up, and was very impressed. The new LaS II is still better, IMO as well as others'. If you do go to Steve's, feel free to drop by on your way.

The folded horn bass is great imo fast accurate quick and clean. If you like folded horn bass like the khorn I think the La Scala II's would be great. Try sending Amy Unger an email about finding the closest Klipsch dealer with La Scala II's.

Here are some Jubilee pics for you.

DSC01612.jpg

I can't remember whose room this is but WOW.

Setting%20up%20Jubilees.jpg

Here is a shot of the revamped LaScala II in cherry. Check out the 1inch thick bass bin :)

DSC01618.jpg

jw - that setup looks sweet. I was looking at Mac earlier. Right now just trying to decide on the speakers. I don't need to buy until summertime but the sooner the better. I have my RF-7 setup FS in the Garage. I am planning on attending the Pilgrimage this year so I can listen to all the speakers.

Pyro, I don't know if this will help you out at all but I have Origanal Las Scalas with AA cross overs that have been recapped. I live just west of Richmond, VA. you are more than welcome to come by my place. I am sure we can gather enough info to be able to come up with what the major difference is sonicly from the origanals to the LSII. I know they used 3/4 MDF as oposed to the 1/2 inch plywood. I know this was to reduce the sonic resenance of the bass bin. I am not sure what differance the cross over has tho. If you have a perticular amp you might bring it with you. The Lascalas ar in my workshop but we can move them around in the barn or outside where I think they sound the best. Steve sorry everything is so run together but my work computer makes it this way.

Just to be clear, the original LS is 3/4 inch plywood and the new one is 1 inch MDF.

Bruce

This difference between the bass of a LS vs a LS II isn't subtle. Big improvement.

The LS II's look good if that is your thing.

The Jubilee bass bin goes lower than the LS II but is "somewhat" corner dependent. I found that if I moved my late jub clones out of the corner, the low end was disappearing. Other guys here may disagree with me but that is my experience. All around the jub bass bin is better than the LS II.

However, there will be a significant difference of that Big K402 vs the top section of the LS II. The K402 is the most impressive product by Klipsch right now IMO. I'm not a salesman.

jc

I listen to mostly orchestral classical music and for right now I'm optimizing my Heresys. But some time in the not too distant future, I'll be making a quantam leap right to the top. So every opinion is precious to me. Are you satisfied with the Lascalas for reproducing the full orchestra or are the Jubs worth the extra cash for my listening needs?

Are the Jubs gone?

BTW, Serial #1 & 2? That is so cool.

stan asked: Are you satisfied with the Lascalas for reproducing the full orchestra or are the Jubs worth the extra cash for my listening needs?

Based on what I've been reading on the forum, the sound of the LS IIs compared with the Jubilees might be described as "excellent" compared with "magical". If you've got the money and the room, the Jubilees should be the obvious choice.

Are you satisfied with the Lascalas for reproducing the full orchestra

Man.....I've gotten some tough questions lately. The above statement is correct.

I love these LS II's for sitting in a lounger low and having the scalas at ear level. My room does these justice and I get some very quick tight bass that will grip you. The bass bin reinforcement is a plus......I listen to them w/o subs right now and doing fine. I had my scala I's in the same position with similar equipment and there is noteable difference. I didn't expect it. I bought these for the beauty and #1 and 2. Honestly...I gave up on scalas quite awhile back. I'm eatin crow...cause these surprised me when I hooked them up. It is also surpising that I don't have a sub running as I would never do my late scalas w/o a sub. I couldn't stand it.

Now don't get me wrong. The bass isn't a real low kicker...it is what it is. When playing some good ole funk, I miss some low down grunge. Not bad enough to keep me from playing it.

The Jubilee bass bin is an upgrade from the LS II. I'm sure I can come up with some subtle comments about the LS II that might be better...but all around the jub bass is better overall.

Now when you talk about the jubilee "system", realize that you are getting away from any Heritage sound at this point with the K402. I don't care what anyone says as a rebuttal to that statement but that is solid in my mind. Just think of the difference in principles.

I like the K402. But I highly suggest you give it a good listen before taking the plunge. Most who have listened to it...have fallen for it.

Right now I'm more nuts about the K402 that I am about the Jub bass bin....which is just the opposite of what I said 1 year ago.

jc

Stan,

I would love to stop by and hear JC's LSIIs, because I have an older pair of LS, powered by 3.5 watt SET amps and find them wonderful for classical music. My younger son, a junior composition major at Valparaiso U. in Indiana, thinks the ones we have are great, and has made the comment that he feels he is siting in front of an orchestra. I don't use a sub with mine. He's a trumpet player too, so he appreciates the attack and dynamics of what I have. From what everyone has said, the LSII is a huge improvement over the older model.

Plus, the looks are killer compared to the Klipschorn Jubilees with the K402 horn on top. Is a high WAF important?

I don't doubt for a second that the Jubes are better (or the regular Khorn for that matter).

Bruce

Thanks you Islander, Jwcullison and Mavel for your responses.

Pyro, I apologize. I did not mean to hijack tis thread. Maybe my questions helped you also.

It seems I would be happy with any of these choices. (Lascala I, Lascala II, Jubilee or Cornwall III). Although as mentioned, the Jubilee

is not the prettyist and is very costly. At it's price point, I should be listening first.

Based on Marvel's response, I would probably be good to go with used Lascalas and a crossover refurbishing.

I'm very interested to see what Pyro does.

Here is my problem corner. Took pictures a while back at the model home. My place will be just like this. As you can see the window and the closet kiss right up to the corner. I don't really care about the closet but I don't think a Khorn would get the bass extension it needs.

Ouch!! How about a pic or two of the wall(s) from corner to corner? It might be easier to size up speaker placement. Offhand, I think LaScala II's would be very desirable, visually and sonically. I don't know whether the sub will match a LaS's speed, and detail well enough for careful classical listening.

Corner 1

I wish you could stick K-horns somewhere, but I share your concern about the bass when it's stuck in that nook instead of a real corner. Also, that window sill could be a problem unless it starts maybe 25" or more from the corner (the K-horn abuts the wall up to 22" from the corner, then starts to slant away from it). I had to notch one of my side grills to accommodate a sill that started too close to the corner.

Corner 2

Is it still your plan to compare the competition in Indy?

Larry