La Scala Bass Mod - again

Marvel

On 10/25/2021 at 7:47 AM, Curious_George said:

Toccata and Fugue in D minor comes to mind. One of many favorites for testing speakers.

Yes and it was this specific piece that got me to build my Super MWM's. I stumbled across Valeri recently and he has lots of bass at times too.

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Yes and it was this specific piece that got me to build my Super MWM's. I stumbled across Valeri recently and he has lots of bass at times too.

Back in the early 80's, when I was not installing (car audio), I would hang out with the home audio guys and we would play T & F D minor on all the home speakers to "try them out". Only a few survived. Suprisingly, the Bose 901's sounded fairly decent. No super low bass, but you could hear everything.  

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

Oh, so you would have a square/rectangle about 15-16 inches, correct. Should be a large enough opening between the two.

Attached is the the photo that you sent

I cut the doghouse in the trapezoidal shape like in the picture. Not a square.

Screenshot_20211027-081422_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, cool. 

I will try this tonight. 

My Initial impressions are that it certianly adds bass and downlow to the La Scalas. 

Does it beat my current Velodyne ULD-15 sub? Sorta.

The ported mod doesn't hit as hard nor does it dig as deep to hear the gravely voice of the great Guy Clark in the song The Dark for example, but it certainly does more than the speakers by themselves. 

What it doesn't do is add addtional noise to the system like the mechanical hum that comes from the Velodyne. Which is a plus!!

It does help imaging though and centers the vocals as well as helps to create that space between the instruments in physical space. Maybe this is just because the speakers are taller and the mid horn is more level or even a bit higher than ear height when sitting in my chair? 

I can likely flip them around tonight and have another listen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flipped them and while better it still lacks the "feel" of the bass. It seems to dig a little deeper in comparison to front facing, but still not going low to where in some songs I feel the artist is super close to me and real. 

I can see if one was really trying to limit components in the chain for "purity", using this, but if you want to feel it, it's not quite there. 

I would add that there is a cleanness to the music and bass, just lacking in oomph and that feeling that the music is surrounding you. 

• Like 1