Diana Krall sings Tom Waits

gaspr

Just picked up Diana's newest CD, The Very Best Of Diana Krall....mainly just to hear her rendition of the Tom Waits tune, "The Heart Of Saturday Night" I love the spin she puts on this one. I also loved her version of Tom's "Temptation" off of her "Girl in the Other Room" CD. Hope she does more of his stuff...a whole CD of "Diana does Tom" would be interesting...

I'm with you guys. Have most of her cds and the sound quality is very good on everyone of them. I like Tom Waits as well but Diana is much easier on the eyes[:D] Someone here use to use her "Live in Paris" cover as an avatar......can't remember who but don't think they post anymore or have changed their avatar.

I'll be honest. I'm not her biggest fan, but I am a huge fan of that song. If you are a Tom Wait's fan (I love The Heart of a Saturday Night and have it on lp and cd) you really do owe it to yourself to pick up Jennifer Warnes cover of Wait's song "Invitation to the Blues" on her album "The Well". Major goosebumps. You'll truly remember why you love music so much. Rest of the album's great too.

Try it and then send me a largish check as a thank you.[:D]

I want to hear her sing "The Piano Has Been Drinking".

Hmmmmm.

There are many songs that are gender based and best sung from that perspective.

A classic example is Linda Rondstadt singing Warren Zevon's Poor Poor Pitiful Me

Oh, its purty alright!

But anyone familiar with the song as written knows how utterly castrated the song is by having a woman sing it!

The verse "I met a girl at the Rainbow Bar... she asked me if I'd beat her....She took me up to the Hyatt House........................I don't want to talk about it......" just doesn't sound right if a woman sings it - which she conveniently didn't...And ALL of the wry humor is completely lost!

(And to my knowledge its also the only case where a lyric is blown off mid-verse and it adds to the song!)

But then, it all begs the question as to why anyone would want to listen to someone else doing Zevon songs if you can her him performing them. (And despite his being gone, we can still listen to him!)