OT: 1, 2, 3 or 5 blades - what do you use and why?

Colin

I used three-blade razors for years. Mens Halth recently said the four-blade Shick Quattro is as good as the five Blade Fusion. It is a smooth shave compared to three blade models, but I am not sure it actually gives a better shave.

Just love it. Havent seen Colin since Dee's in '04 (?) Doesn't post much, but when he does..........Razor Blades?

OK, I will bite. Chaps my behind to spend $2.00 for a blade. Can't use a strait razor and live.[D]

tc

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hundred year old NOS straight razor here boys, evey single day. Henckels Friodur, Joseph Rodgers & Sons, Geneva Cutlery, Solingen Revisor and Wade and Butcher, and a new Thiers Issard in the rotation right now - looking for a sweet modern made straight from the likes of Robert Williams or Mastro Livi in the near future. I hone my own, and have probably 60 of the buggers right now, English, German, and French and a very few American made.

Nice.I have a couple of Wade and Butcher (one in custom wood scales), a Boker, Geneva, Torrey, HMC and the craziest is an Iwasaki. The Iwasaki is seriously shave ready but I'm not sure that is a good one to learn on. RAD hits hard. ;)

What hones do you use? I have a set of the Red Trader hones but haven't gotten the others there yet with them.Going back and forth between a Norton 4k/8k or a Blue+Yellow Belgian.

Shawn

I use the 3 blade Mach 3 turbo. I also have tried the Fusion, and didn't think it was an improvement. I've tried the Shick Quattro, and it was ok, but I've stuck to the Gillette. I've used Gillette for almost 20 years, first the Good News disposable razors, then the Sensor, then the Sensor Excel, then the Mach 3, and finally the Mach 3 Turbo.

I used to tell my wife she was like The Gillette Sensor-- The best a man can get (it's the closest I come to love poems). She didn't think it was that great to be compared to a razor.

if you're using razor blades you must check this link out........ http://www.instructables.com/id/Keep-Your-Razor-Blades-Sharp-Forever---The-Secret-/?comments=all

My grandma used to believe in that stuff. She had a rocking chair that she'd sit on under the pyramid that she built. She also would put her scissors under it. I've heard of people dipping razors in liquid nitrogen to make them last longer as well, but don't know if the person that told me about it was putting me on or not.

Shawn,

I have the full set of Nortons, couldn't do it without them - those little RedTrader hones are just too damn small. I also have a 12k Chinese, and the various Tony Miller pasted (.5 and 1.0) and hanging strops...Got the RAD and HAD and BAD, well BAD.

Not as difficult as it seems, gives great satisfaction when done well, no plastic in the landfills and only cuts me when I am careless...not a loftly goal at all, just one of those things you have to commit to, and wack away at - men for thousands of years used straight edged razors to shave, and most of that knowledge and the father-son training has been lost in less than a century - sometimes new isn't necessarily better? But I don't need to tell a bunch of Klipsch Heritage guys that...

K

"- those little RedTrader hones are just too *** small. "

That has been my problem with them. They also badly needed to be flattened. I made much more progress after flattening them but the straights just aren't there yet they pull way too much. A larger hone would help greatly I'm sure.

"I also have a 12k Chinese, and the various Tony Miller pasted (.5 and 1.0) and hanging strops.."

Nice, I have one of Tony's strops too. A 3" Heirloom Artisan dual w/Red Latigo and Horsehide surfaces. Really nice product.

"Not as difficult as it seems, gives great satisfaction when done well, no plastic in the landfills and only cuts me when I am careless.."

Yup, I took a wack at it this morning (based on this thread) with the custom Wade and Butcher which came honed. Went well, much better then the first time I tried a DE and no blood letting at all. I think starting on the DE likely helped a lot since I already know all the angles and such.

Thanks,

Shawn

I used to tell my wife she had more curves than a Shelby Cobra, because she was short and voluptuous, but she didn’t appreciate the analogy either! Go figure. Myself? I love it when women compare me to a semi truck, a pile driver or a freight train, but then I digress…:0

Guest srobak

I'm just glad you now have an avatar with your shirt on... that last one, with the facial expression looked a little... well... freaky. :)

Those old snl sketches were very often prescient. Remember the one about their favorite all american apple pie brand being a Mitsubishi? And of course there was their version of "battle of the network stars" featuring black men vs. white women? (OJ Simpson was in that one). Now the democratic party has the same contest!

So where does one find a modern straight razor? MY father had a couple when I was young but the were more for show than using. I like the idea of cutting down on plastic and saving a little dough.

They are all over man! It has gotten very popular in the last few years, beleive it or not - whether it is the nostagia or saving the landfill - it is pretty hopping right now. There are several major commercial makers of straight razors these days - one is Thiers Issard in France, and the toehr is DOVO in Solingen Germany. You will pay a pretty price for the TI's, but the DOVOs are reasonable. Most of the best razors are decades old; there were hundreds of makers in Solingen Germany before the war, and we bombed the place back to the stone age, so the only ones who survived were DOVO, who bought up everybody else - I beleive that is the story. We even have a few "honemeisters" who can hone up anything - pretty extensive community. Go to the BST forum on www.straightrazorplace.com fourm - you may be able to pick up a shave ready razor just liek your grandads - just be forwarned, it is not necessarily cheaper than a BIC - you start collecting all kinds of stuff, strops, hones, scuttles, more and more razors...it is potentially addicting...kind of like speakers! A few more good sites are www.shavingshop.com and www.classicshaving.com - Take a look at straight razors on Ebay and you will be surprised - PM me if you have questions!

K

• Moderators

I wax...Embarrassed

I think hew was talking about your face, I hope that's not while you are listening to Marie Osmond. [6] One or the other you can't have both, and I don't want to know what you wear at the time.[:#]

Kriton wrote the following post

I also have a 12k Chinese, and the various Tony Miller pasted (.5 and 1.0) and hanging strops...

Ok, tell me you did not spend 12 thousand dollars for some chineese razor and that is just a brand! Give us a idea if we just wanted a good razor to try at home. 15 dollars 20 dollars what to have a try.

For you single blade experts like Kriton... Heck, I might be willing to just say, "Your the expert... tell me what it would cost, and I will send you the money if you have time to send it on to me." Send me a razor and enough blades to last me a good long while, and maybe where I can order from here on out? Might be interesting to find out for myself this lost art.

"can you buy a good single razor today at say CVS?"

Are you talking about a straight razor or a double edged safety razor? Answer to both is no but CVS does sell double edged razor blades though they aren't all that great.

If you want to try a DE PM your address. I'll send you a Gillette 'SuperSpeed' and some good blades.

Shawn