Subwoofer Cables a Crock?

Dome

In the near future I will be purchasing my first sub, a SVS PB-13 Ultra to compliment my Rx-3 system. My question is - are "subwoofer" cables a crock or are they basically just the same thing as a standard RCA cable with a higher pricetag?

Sorry for the newb question.

Thanks,
Adam

• Like 1

Just be sure to use a good quality RG-6, quad sheild is my choice. Stay away from flimsy Rg-59.

Just my $.02

Money well spent! Another real crock is the price asked for RG-6, when buying even 100 feet. Lowe's or similar has larger quantities. I have a spool of 1000' for $35 or 3.5 cents per. Sort of silly for someone to get rich enough to retire off a coupla deals.

That's nothing, I've got a subwoofer cable (RCA) that's directional!! Explain that one to me.

It usually means its shielded on one end to help lessen interference and noise that could be transmitted by the cable. It is a legitimate feature.

The best lines I overheard in stores...

"This cable was specially formulated to drive your subwoofer !"

"The Monstah Ba$$ has little arrows that show you where the bass is going"

"Our cables have better shielding ,you will hear more deep bass and less upper bass"

"New cables have improved technology built in, try this cable it elevated my KSW10 to the level of a RSW-15 !"

And...

"It is rare to see cables have major impact on the depth of the sound stage,with these cables you will hear performers the way they intended to be heard !"

And the best line...

Your B0$e AcousticMess will sound like dual Acoupower 18's powered by a QSC PL380 .With the use of this Monstah KeeBl [:P]

• 3 weeks later...

usually thicker sheilding to prevent interference cause they usually run 25+ feet

Why would subs need longer cables? Aren't they best located between the main speakers, where the rest of the music is coming from? I've got a 2-metre cable on my sub and 4.5 metre cables on my mains. Are the longer cables for those who put their subs behind the sofa to "feel the bass"?

most of the time its best between the main speakers but each room is different and each room's sweet spot is different. Maybe there is no room in the front so you put it in the left or right rear corner? Doesn't have to make fun of bose and behind the couch thing.

Why would subs need longer cables? Aren't they best located between the main speakers, where the rest of the music is coming from? I've got a 2-metre cable on my sub and 4.5 metre cables on my mains. Are the longer cables for those who put their subs behind the sofa to "feel the bass"?

I had to use a longer cable because my pre/pro is in one room and my sub amp is in another.

Following on this sub cable question - I had previously (last 8 years) not had a sub cable but ran my wires from the receiver output to the sub to the speakers. Just this past weekend I was notified that I should run a separate stand alone sub cable and direct wire my speakers. So I did. My sub sounds like sh!t. It sounded much better with the apparent wrong wiring. Please educate.

[H]

I should run a separate stand alone sub cable and direct wire my speakers.

You use one or the other ... not both ...................... The Sub in allows for just one cable NEEDED to hook-up sub ......... then check settings on receiver, no way you should use both hook-ups !!!!!!!!!!!

I have not explained clearly.

Originally I did not have a separate sub cable from the receiver to the sub. I ran speaker wire from the receiver to the sub and from the sub to the speakers. I thought My sub sounded good.

Now I have a sub wire from the receiver to the sub. And speaker wires from the receiver to the mains. No speaker wire to the sub - only the single sub cable. This does not sound good. It has less volume, less bass, less vibration than when I had the sub as the interface between the receiver and the speakers. Could it be the sub cable? I simply split a red/white connector and used one lead to connect between the receiver and sub. First I used the white one, then used the red one thinking I needed positive instead of negative. But not much volume when using the cable (compared to before). Thus I was thinking of going and buying a specialized sub cable but based on the postings here, that is a crock. Thus why is my sub now less impressive now that it is supposedly wired(cabled) correctly than it was before when it was supposedly wired incorrectly?