CD Player

PYRO

$3,000 is a lot for a CD player. Are you looking for a Macintosh to match? Many Mac owners like to have all Mac Equipment.

I really like Musical Fidelity. I have this one and it is outstanding (much better than my old loaded AH! Tube player). Another forum member had one and loved it too:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1212700833

I seem to remember the seller having it listed for $1000 not too long ago. This is a great player, especially for the price. If you want to spend more, look at the TriVista or NuVista. Each is below your max price point.

I have read that Meridian's are outstanding. I have no experience with them. Check out Audiogon.

Esoteric makes some really nice units. A friend of mine had this one:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1210114242

He paid $4000 for it a few years ago. It upsamples like crazy and has several selection modes modes. It is a multi lplayer that supports most formats but is outstanding on CD's.

Also check out Sony.

I've got a Rega Saturn and an OPPO DV-980H......

Get yourself the OPPO DV-980H. It's simply unbelievable. It plays Redbook, DVD-A and SACD. The sound coming from the OPPO is amazing; so much so that I set the Rega Saturn aside.

You can get the OPPO for $181.00 shipped. That would save you approx. $2800.00 and I'm pretty confident you wouldn't be missing anything in terms of sonic qualities.

I own the oppo and the rega apollo. The oppo is a fine machine and an incredible value. It has not however replaced the rega in my system. I auditioned the rega versus some very expensive cdp s and think that at a grand it is as good of a value as the oppo is at 180.00. Your opinions may vary.

The OPPO is the first CD player I've ever heard at a price I could afford that was identical to my master recordings played back through a Card Deluxe. Card Deluxe has been compared directly to 15,000.00 Mark Levinson DACs, so I consider that definitive technically and my ears conclusion to be definitive personally.

Your milage (and pocketbook) may vary...
Dave

Did you guys know that a McIntosh MCD201 is $4.5 K? Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!

On Audiogon they go for $1850-2500. My concern is the history of problems the MCD201 has. McIntosh claims they have a fix for them, but if you buy used, what does it cost to get it fiixed?

The MCD301 interests me.

post-18740-13819367542278_thumb.jpg

Rob.

I have the Oppo too. Mainly for movies. Fine unit.

For CD's, I use to listen to the AH! Tube CD player. Is is better then the Oppo for CD's. It doesn't do DVD-A or SACD.

I have a MAC DAC. Using the OPPO as a transport through my DAC, it has a slight edge over the AH!.

Sad enough, I listen to all music from my computer in lossless format through my DAC.

When I get around to it, I'm selling the AH! and will oly use the OPPO for movies. I rip everything else.

At any Rate, the Oppo is one heck of a bargain. The AH! is a great straight forward CD player. Never heard the McIntosh CD players. The MC201 has had issues mechanically but not acoustically you know. I had the McIntosh MVP851 Universal player and sold it. The AH! walked all over that thing. I have given up on MAC source units and just sticking to their preamps and amps for now.

jc

Rob.

I have the Oppo too. Mainly for movies. Fine unit.

For CD's, I use to listen to the AH! Tube CD player. Is is better then the Oppo for CD's. It doesn't do DVD-A or SACD.

I have a MAC DAC. Using the OPPO as a transport through my DAC, it has a slight edge over the AH!.

Sad enough, I listen to all music from my computer in lossless format through my DAC.

When I get around to it, I'm selling the AH! and will oly use the OPPO for movies. I rip everything else.

At any Rate, the Oppo is one heck of a bargain. The AH! is a great straight forward CD player. Never heard the McIntosh CD players. The MC201 has had issues mechanically but not acoustically you know. I had the McIntosh MVP851 Universal player and sold it. The AH! walked all over that thing. I have given up on MAC source units and just sticking to their preamps and amps for now.

jc

jc what is the AH cd player?

Guys I was just quoting the price of a Mac at $3.3K, but the player is now $4.5K. Don't want a 3K cd player. Eating Mac and Cheese would get real boring...LOL!

[On Audiogon they go for $1850-2500. My concern is the history of problems the MCD201 has. McIntosh claims they have a fix for them, but if you buy used, what does it cost to get it fiixed?

The MCD301 interests me.

When is the MCD301 coming out? How much? Let me guess my frackin LIVER!!!!!!! [|-)]