Rf-7's or heritage

wsu99999

I'm thinking about purchasing a new pair of fronts and wanted to get everyone's opinion. If you could have your pick, would you get some RF-7s or would you pick up some Forte II's? If you wouldn't get either, what would you purchase. Currently running RF-35's. Would the RF-7 be a HUGE improvement, or would it only be slight? Please let me know. I'm thinking about buying some used RF-7;s from a forum member.

Thanks,

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know how good the rf-35's are but i would jump at the chance to get the rf-7's. in fact if you don't want them please let me know who is selling them so maybe i can buy them. i would want the entire line up for the rf-7's if they have it.

i was looking to buy the rf-35's, upgrading from klf-10.5 but i think i am going to jump to rf-82's.

Regardless, you should get the fortes for 2 channel music duty. Even if its in another room. For theater duty, you could do the RF-7s but you'd probably have to upgrade your center to be happy, to an RC-7 matching unit.

How much do you care about 2 channel music and how much do you care about theaer? If you care at all about music, I'd do the fortes first, you owe it to yourself to get a sweet midhorn reference from which to base other decisions on. If you care mostly about theater, either go with the RF-7s or enter the current line, RF-63 or 83 with matching center.

Officially, the chorus/forte/quartet line is not heritage, but they are some of the best sounding Klipsch loudspeakers ever made.

• Moderators

I just saw these RF-7's up for sale. $1200 is pretty average for a pair of RF-7's. I have heard the RF-7's and they totally rock for home theater and I really enjoyed them in 2 channel as well. I was originally looking at them but then decided to go with the RF-83 setup.

Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to listen to the RF-7's, but you will not be unhappy with any speakers from the Heritage line. I have Cornwall's and Heresy's and they are probably some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. From what I have read the Forte's seem to be in between the two. I would jump on the Fortes and see if the seller may meet you in between 400-500.

I just sold my RF-7 system and bought LaScala II's. LaScalas win handsdown.

If you are strickly watching movies then I would say RF-7 system.

If you plan on the mains pulling double duty (2CH and Movies) then Heritage.

What is the room size?

The truth of it is that I would be using this system for about 75% HT and 25% (or less) for music. With that in mind, and considering I already have the RS-62's and RC-62, would the RF-7's make more sense? I kinda like the idea of going heritage, but I don't want to spend 15k to get there with a surruound sound system of heritage products. I found a guy with Lascala's by me and they look to be in great shape for a grand. I REALLY want them!! I honestly can't afford to upgrade my surrounds and center to match the heritage lineup though. Would the Lascalas really sound funky with my current setup? (maybe run the RF-35's as rear surrounds)? Another question (if I decide to go the Lascala route, it would have to happen tomorrow), would two Lascalas fit in the back of a Ford Explorer?

wsu99999,

Buy the LaScalas and NEVER, EVER, look back. Of the 3, the Forte' 2 has the best sound and is the most highly rated Klipsch speaker ever made as rated by owners at www.audioreview.com under the reviews section for Speakers, under Klipsch, under "older equipement only" The LaScalas will absolutely ROCK, and although all speakers should have a corner placement, the LaScalas don't have too, where as the Forte 2 really must have corners to enhance the Bass output of their rear facing passive radiator. Most importantly, with surround sound, your Center Channel and Sub Woofer, are by far the two most important speakers, and you should buy the absolute best that you can afford for these two speakers, but until you can afford to spend the money, Adcom made pre-amps you can buy cheap on EBay that you can seperately adjust the outputs to the front (L&R), the (Center), and the (Rear Surrounds). The ADCOM GTP-600 has all these features and can be had on EBay for <$200. For a "seperates AMP, you can get a ADCOM GFA-7000 for <$400. This amp is one of their poorest amps, but still alot better than most receivers, and sounds like it could be in your budget. Further, you can always upgrade the AMP later. The GFA-7000 is 125 Watts RMS X 5 Channels. The RF-7s look pretty nice in the Cherry Finish, and have better wife approval as such, but both of the other speakers are better for sound.

Roger

I love to hear this. I just bought some Fortes(haven't arrived yet) and I am dying to hear them. I bought without hearing the speakers based on all the folks here. I've not heard any bad comments so I took the plunge. I can always sell and get what I paid back.

This ? can only be answered by the individual listener.Some love Lascalas,others like myself not so much,some don't like 7's.I myself have found them to be my favorite Klipsch,although Cornwalls sound great too they just don't fit in with my decor.The Khorn is the only Klipsch speaker I would move my 7's for.

All the speakers discussed have many positives,few negatives,but each must decide for themselves.

Fish, and BigDaddy take note;

Check out the site I listed. Join up yourselves as it is free!!

Forte is rated 4.93 out of a possible 5 stars from 85 ratings from owners of these speakers.

RF-7 is rated 4.86 out of 5 possible stars out of 71 ratings from owners of these speakers.

La Scala is rated 4.72 out of a possible 5 stars from 57 owners.

Klipschorn is rated 4.66 out of a possible 5 stars from 108 owners.

These are not some like this better and some like that, these are "Trends".

The speakers sound, and value are rated, plus each one has a write up on that speaker by the owner.

This site rates headphones, amps, subs, receivers, interconnects, everything!! I find it a useful guide.

The Chorus, Forte, and Quartet all rate higher by owner satisfaction than all other klipsch speakers, with the Forte in first place, and the Chorus in last place of these three speakers!!

Roger

Roger,audioreview is a good resource for info,I've been a member since around the turn of the century.The thing about it is though,it's mostly to find out if a units a junker from the start.If you were to believe what you read there about ratings you'd think a Sony sub kicks butt.The large majority of posters like their gear and rate it highly,don't tell ya much.

Plus, with sites that have ratings like that, If 10 people own the FOrte's and 100 own the RF-7 (or vice versa) the Forte's will be graded on a few people opinion and will have strong sampling bias where the rf-7s will be more closely rated to what they actually perform.

The Chorus, Forte, and Quartet all rate higher by owner satisfaction than all other klipsch speakers, with the Forte in first place, and the Chorus in last place of these three speakers!!

Funny, They are all discontinued ................... If they are so highly thought of, why aren't they in production ???? Only YOUR EARS can tell you what you like, not some written article ................. the room has alot to do with it, too !!!!!!!!

I personally like heavy bass, but I also like good mids as well. Either case, you won't know unless you compare them within either a close time frame or side by side. My ear isn't too discerning, and looks do matter so I went with the 7 series.*I actually got the whole 7 series, rc-7, rf-7's, rs-7's and a rsw-15 for just $1200!*

I was thinking about heritage, but it's ugly. Not such a great review from me, though looks do matter.

• Moderators

I actually got the whole 7 series, rc-7, rf-7's, rs-7's and a rsw-15 for just $1200!*

Nice score dakayus! Very sweet setup for the cost of a pair of RF-7's. I too prefer the looks of the RF series to the Heritage series. I absolutely love my RF-83's. They sound incredible. I don't think you can go wrong with either setup. I think it boils down to preference, style, appeal and waf.