Weight Loss and exercise

gonzp

As of the first of February, Rosalie was put on a stricter diet and exercise program, due to heart issues. We started walking for 1 hour a day. The company I work for offers to pay for our gym membership! We joined the gym, got on the South Beach diet and as of today, Rosalie has lost 15 lbs, I nave lost 27 lbs and we are both feeling better and younger than we have in years

Our daughter Angela, is getting married on May 10th of this year and we are both going to look better in our formalwear than we otherwise would have!!

Who else is working out and eating a little healthier?[:D]

Guest srobak

Here... also doing the South Beach thing in combination with Hydroxycut, and was using the elliptical at home plus doing situps since Feb1 as well. 13 lbs so far - but I have broken the diet a few times here and there, without eating stupid (which is what got me in this condition). Now that riding season is here, I should be able shave a lot more off, as I will be drinking more water than I will be eating food, and riding the 473lb beast is quite the workout on the right, curvy roads :)

Our daughter Angela, is getting married on May 10th of this year and we are both going to look better in our formalwear than we otherwise would have!!

Who else is working out and eating a little healthier?Big Smile

Excellent! way to go. Wishing you and your family better health in the months to come.

Where I work I got 10 guys all to agree to a "biggest loser" format contest. On Jan 2nd we all put in 25 bucks and weighed in. On March 28 we all weighed in again...biggest percentage of loss was the winner. Between the 10 guys we lost over 140 pounds. I went from 204 to 173 to win with just over 15% lost. One of the bigger guys beat me in total pounds (40 some) but was in the 12 percent range lost. All in all we were all winner.

So I pocketed my 250 bucks and took everyone out to lunch. I left with $57. Easy come easy go.[:D] We all had meatball subs, onion rings and a beer or two. The greasy food did not sit all that well with those of us who had switched to a large veggie content and reduced crappy-food intake.

Problem for me now is none of my clothes fit.

No real diet just did the things we all know we are supposed to do. Eat smaller portions, exercise more, cut out bad foods.

Guest srobak

rplace - 31 lbs in 3 months... that's pretty good :)

Care to share the secret? I would love to take it off faster than I am now. I love how you guys celebrated though - that was great hahah

rplace - 31 lbs in 3 months... that's pretty good :)

Care to share the secret? I would love to take it off faster than I am now. I love how you guys celebrated though - that was great hahah

Thanks.

No real secret. I started to eat a lot more fish and chicken and a lot less red meat. Lots of salad with chicken thrown in for protein. 4-5 days a week I either run 4 miles on the tread mill or bike for an hour on a stationary (spin) bike. On the weekends I get outside for a long run 6-10 miles or bike 40-65 miles. No sissy bike I pedal it.[H]

I also started some basic weight lifting 2-3 times a week. Nothing special dumbells for Back, Chest, Bicep and Tricep. Every day pushups, sit-ups, crunches, planks, leg lifts and stretching.

I think the key is to work out in the morning so you burn cals. all day. Once you have a little bit of lean muscle mass the pounds just start to melt off. I was stuck around a 10-12 pound loss for about 2 weeks...I upped the exercise and lifting just a bit and man it dropped like a rock!

As a certified personal trainer and former BB I'll tell you all first hand that " All Diets " eventually fail ! If you plan on going on a diet that means you also plan on coming off it and thats where the failure will catch up in spades . Deprive the body of something and it will hold onto it like gold next time it's introduced , thats why 90 % of people gain back huge amounts of weight after dieting .

Lifestyle changes are the only thing that will ever change you .....

Any and all diets will work ... at least for the short term , those who are in the worse condition will see the most results the fastest because they are the one's in need the most . Making it past the 6 week point in the key , the body is an adaptive mechanism and will not change homostasis unless there is a reason to do so ...

As hard as it is for most of you to believe ... you have to eat to loose weight , most people i train eat way more volume of food then they ever did before and still loose fat . The key is what your eating and when , 6 to 8 meals a day is a must , all small . Kick starting your metabolism into high gear and turning yourself into a blast furnace .

Most people can't eat everything i tell them to because they feel way to full yet they are loosing weight feeling stuffed . An example would be 1 cup of corn is the same as eating an entire head of broccoli --- which one is going to make you feel fuller ? Naturally the broccoli , plus your brain gets the stimulation of you chewing for 5 minutes instead of 20 seconds to eat a cup of corn .

The key is in resistance training , changing the ratio of muscle and fat in the body , muscle is metabolicly active and needs calories to survie , fat does not . Would you rather be 180 lbs with 24% body fat or 180 lbs with 10 % body fat ? both bodies are 180 lbs but they will looks totaly different .

I'm 232lbs @ 5' 10" and 11 % body fat --- put someone 232 lbs with 24 % body fat beside me and they will have a gut the size of a beachball .

Making a change in your body means making a change in your bodyfat ratio ... don't get hung up on the scale becasue a pound of muscle is a lot more dense then a pound of fat . Just think of how much space a pound of feathers will take up compared to the space a pound of brick will take up . Same thing , a pound of fat occupies more space then a pound of muscle .

Keep your motivation close to you ... don't give in to temptation

The biggest advise i can offer is pre-make all your meals for the week and put them in the fridge on sunday night ... a sure way to jump off a diet plan is going to the fridge for something to eat when your hungry and having to prepare it ... you'll always go for the quick and easy which will always be the wrong choice

BTW : Hydoxycut is over priced garbage

Glad to hear your taking steps towards better health ... keep the faith

you have to eat to loose weight , most people i train eat way more volume of food then they ever did before and still loose fat . The key is what your eating and when , 6 to 8 meals a day is a must , all small . Kick starting your metabolism into high gear and turning yourself into a blast furnace .

Nice post Dale.

This quote has been the most surprising fact to me. For yrs I ate one meal a day, at night, which I now know was shutting my body down, the worst thing I could have done.

Dale,

Great post! I agree, eating properly and exercising regularly is the key. As a personal trainer, I am wondering if you could point me to a good book on exercise routines. I have been doing cardio every day for 1 hour and lifting on my days off from work. I work 12 hour shifts and I just dont want to burn myself out by lifting and doing cardio every day.

I'm sure that you do these types of evaluations and put togather programs for a living. I am not trying to get something for nothing but a word or two of advice on who to read that will not have me going around in circles. Thanks!

Patrick: Sorry to learn of Rosalie's heart issues but the weight-loss, exercise, healthy-eating thing is the best thing for both of you! Congrats on the progress and also on the upcoming nuptials!

I was over 400 pounds in early June when I attended the 2007 Klipsch Pilgrimage in Indy last year and I had injured both knees a month before that. I got fed up with feeling and looking like a blob. I placed myself on a self-designed, self-imposed sensible eating program and lifestyle change that includes exercising on my Bowflex 4 times a week for about 40 minutes each day. No drugs or surgeries and no paid-for programs; pure will-power and common sense! Since mid July I have lost 90 pounds. I want to loose another 130 to 140. I hope to be near my goal around July of 2009. I already look and feel so much better! I've lost nearly 12 inches from my waist. Good luck to all of us! -Glenn

Since mid July I have lost 90 pounds. I want to loose another 130 to 140. I hope to be near my goal around July of 2009. I already look and feel so much better! I've lost nearly 12 inches from my waist. Good luck to all of us! -Glenn

Glenn, that is awesome! I know you had posted earlier, and I have wondered about your progress. It is great what all of you guys have been doing.

I am only at 155 lbs., but need to exercise and tone up a lot. I was at 145 when I was in the Philippines a year ago, because of all the walking I did and all of the fesh food I ate while there. Our processed food in the US is hurting us all big time. This thread is a great encouragement to me, and I seriously mean that.

Bruce

Glenn,

I too am happy to hear of your progress!! Maybe we should keep this thread alive so that we can keep encouraging each other. Self motivation, is what it's all about. When you do something for yourself on your terms, for you, I don't think you can fail.

Nutrisystem & the gym for 2 months. 25 lbs so far. I love the eliptical srobak. For you golfers, the weights & stretching machine has increased my swing speed 6 mph. Anybody read Bill Philips "Body For Life"?

YUP! I bought that way back when it first came out. I really liked Bill Philips, although he really seemed to push all that EAS stuff. I still recommend that book to people when I hear them wanting to get into shape. He now has out a Body For Life for Women. I used to really be into working out & eating healthy, taking supplements, but after getting through that fiasco with Cancer a while ago, I just cannot seem to get motivated for it anymore. I have an elliptical in my living room, but damn if I can get off the couch and get on it lol.

I'm looking forward to the warmer weather though... Michigan is tough in the winter... so gloomy and grey all the time. Golf is quickly approaching!

The biggest advise i can offer is pre-make all your meals for the week and put them in the fridge on sunday night ... a sure way to jump off a diet plan is going to the fridge for something to eat when your hungry and having to prepare it ... you'll always go for the quick and easy which will always be the wrong choice

BTW : Hydoxycut is over priced garbage

Glad to hear your taking steps towards better health ... keep the faith

Oh.... that reminded me, one of the best quotes in the "Body for Life" book was "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU ARE PLANNING TO FAIL"

This is the first season in 35 years or so that I didn't play soccer. I used it as a fun way to keep my cardio in shape, but my knees and ankles have started calling "uncle". Around the first of the year I started running/walking twice a week and lifting weights twice a week. It's not nearly as fun as soccer, but it keeps me active. I may take a season off and give it one more try in the fall. We'll see.

• Moderators

Well congratulations to everyone here that's at least trying, me I am in no condition to exercise ! [:|]

Just kidding, starting to get back on the exercise thing and summer's here that always helps to be more active.