Gas Prices, etc. ....

oldbuckster

I suppose cause they're all in debt to their butt, working over, barely hanging on compared to the previous generation.

Unless there are medical or other seriously extenuating circumstances, this is the class I have no sympathy.   Most have been suckered by financial institutions who want them in precisely that position.  My credit score is in the toilet.  WHY?  BECAUSE I DON"T USE CREDIT except for my home...and I am working on that.

4 years ago my wife and I woke up and realized the dirty truth;  The credit reporting system is rigged to keep you hooked.  We paid everything but the house off and proved the point:  Getting rid of your debt and canceling your credit cards makes your score go down! 

But they don't own us anymore, and we don't care. 

Maybe I have it wrong...welcome to a less ugly explanation of why someone with no outstanding debts, a good job, savings, and paid for assets would be considered a poor credit risk. 

Dave

WHY? BECAUSE I DON"T USE CREDIT except for my home...and I am working on that.

Buy your groceries and gas ONLY using a credit card for payment.  You're going to buy those things anyways.  sometimes you can even get cash back.  Pay the card off EVERY MONTH.  There will be no interest, so basically, you purchase what you normally do, get cash back (normally 1% of purchases), pay no interest and increase your credit score.  Don't use your card for anything else. 

2 can play at that game.

• Like 2

Pay the card off EVERY MONTH.

That's the part everybody says...and nobody does.  Don't care about the man's game and won't play it.  We keep our assets in a credit union.  They MUST loan us up to the amount we have in shares and we don't need anymore. 

Dave

Yeah, people wanting houses to live in and cars to drive, clothes for the family, ha......I have no idea why they don't all just pay cash, some people.....

Oh yeh, its because GAS has been twice what it freekin should be for years.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

That's the part everybody says...and nobody does.

I've been doing it for years.  My credit score is right at 820 as is my wife's.  If you have no self discipline, it won't work.

Dave, most people (including myself) aren't as fortunate as you.  I don't have enough money in the bank to never need to borrow any amount higher than that amount.  When we purchase a car, we finance it and my past credit handling habits allow me to always get the lowest interest rate available.

• Like 2

I would like to apologize to guest of this forum just passing by and reading this thread.  We didn't know that a forum member was so consumed with  "Feces".

"Don't think that those who are responsible for taking care of your life and cleaning your feces up are worth more than manual labor?

So because they choose to work a dirty, hard job, they should be paid more than someone who is responsible for your life and has to clean up your Feces ??

Roger"

I also don't know who is responsible for your life except you but the above member seems to think it is someone else.

On the Lighter side, the elephant picture did make me LOL.

• Like 1

I also don't know who is responsible for your life except you but the above member seems to think it is someone else.

There may be a point in time in your life when you are totally dependent on someone else for care and sustenance.  I believe that was his point.

I would like to apologize to guest of this forum just passing by and reading this thread.  We didn't know that a forum member was so consumed with  "Feces".

"Don't think that those who are responsible for taking care of your life and cleaning your feces up are worth more than manual labor?

So because they choose to work a dirty, hard job, they should be paid more than someone who is responsible for your life and has to clean up your Feces ??

Roger"

On the Lighter side, the elephant picture did make me LOL.

He's talking about nurses (he was/is one). They have a shit job and get paid decent, but not extravagant amounts of money.

My wife is a RN and I was heading down that path until recently - my wife knows me well and she knows I'm not passionate about it, but that I was going to go down that path in order to meet some needs for my family. She wisely advised not to pursue it under those conditions or I would very quickly burn out.

So what?  That is still NOT a reason to talk to people in the manner that he does.  His choice of employment doesn't make it right to come on the forum and abuse other members. 

Maybe my opinion means "Nothing" to him.  I don't care but he's a JERK.

Just because he has a different opinion than other members does not make him right.

He's just mad because someone else makes more money than he does and he thinks his job and position in life is better than others.

Cry baby

• Like 1

He's just mad because someone else makes more money than he does and he thinks his job and position in life is better than others.

I didn't know you were a mind reader.

It is evident from his statement, why don't you go read what he said instead of defending his  offensive  statements.  Nice job for a mod.

Edited by rebuy

Being a former Polk owner, you guys don't seem to be as rude and snobby as the asshats on the Polk forum.  But time will tell, LOL.

I'm starting to think the polk forums weren't the problem..

Here is his full Text.  Any Questions?

Oh, I'm sorry! and your opinion means.... NOTHING!

You are endowed with extreme intellect!

Roger

Being a former Polk owner, you guys don't seem to be as rude and snobby as the asshats on the Polk forum.  But time will tell, LOL.

I'm starting to think the polk forums weren't the problem..

So a guy comes on here and says the above statement to me and you have the nerve to say that...

Edited by rebuy

I don't have enough money in the bank to never need to borrow any amount higher than that amount.

Nor do I.  We make car payments...on our next car.  My pickup is the first new vehicle I've had since the 70s because we only bought what we could actually afford, which means cash.  That's how EVERYBODY did it in my parents generation and before.  It's no harder now that it was then.  It just means doing without what you can't afford.  My son is being taught the same principles.  I wish I had listen to my mother when I left home as she practiced this, as I'd be retired right now. 

I grew up in a household with 5 family members on, in a good year, 4000.00 of income.  Yes, the house was mortgaged.  The payment was 33.00 a month.  We had a car, a truck, and a TV...all paid with cash or "layaway," the mostly gone forerunner of credit in that you paid no interest but didn't get the item until it was paid for.  We ate well.  We took family camping vacations that cost nothing but gas beyond our normal expense.  And I wouldn't trade my childhood for anyone elses!  When credit cards came out in the 70s for the masses, my mom got one...and like Carl, NEVER ran a balance.  When she retired she retired on savings and social security in a paid for house, a nice paid for car, and totally enjoyed her retirement with no pressures of any kind.

We are middle class people, but our assets are starting to grow because we aren't paying the slaver's interest rates anymore.   I refuse to pay interest to make the 1% richer.  That's my story and I'm stickn' to it!  

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

We are middle class people, but our assets are starting to grow because we aren't paying the slaver's interest rates anymore. I refuse to pay interest to make the 1% richer. That's my story and I'm stickn' to it!

I guess you missed my point, but you're a pretty smart guy so I don't see how.  My point was that if you pay your credit card off every month, you're not paying ANY interest but you ARE growing your credit score.  It's a win, win.

This is the time to step in and ask everyone to chill a little.

OK, chill a little.  I don't think it's quite crossed the line.  No politics or religion.  Though it's always unseemly to question a persons intellect or toss around ad hominems.  As a moderator, I tend to be pretty slow on the trigger unless it gets really ugly or one of the forbidden subjects is brought up. 

Dave