Gas Prices, etc. ....

oldbuckster

Guest Steven1963

I prefer to drive and will only fly if it isn't practical by car. In other words, a time crunch or more than about 1,500 miles. Who likes being sardined into a seat for hours in an upright position?

You must be in a prius? I drove to San Fran and back for $100 in a prius. It's about 1200 miles and I think gas was about $3.50 then.

I love filling up for less but there may be a grim downside.  Russia, Venzuela, European countries and the good old US may suffer large economic losses.  The stock market has crashed for several days and if any of these countries hit a recession, it may spread across the globe.  Then the cheap gas will not look as good.  Just playing devil's advocate. :(

I prefer to drive and will only fly if it isn't practical by car. In other words, a time crunch or more than about 1,500 miles. Who likes being sardined into a seat for hours in an upright position?

You must be in a prius? I drove to San Fran and back for $100 in a prius. It's about 1200 miles and I think gas was about $3.50 then.

we were in a Ford Ranger Sport.  However, i just realized that the amount is slightly higher as we started the trip with a full tank of gas. I’m not sure how much is in the tank now (not my vehicle) but, let’s say we started with $45 (full tank).  So, probably a fairer amount would be $110 in gas. Anyway, we started with a full tank and put $77 more in gas along the way. I think the cheapest I saw was $3.25.  I didn’t want to drive initially because i have a back injury and i thought 8 hours each way was going to be too uncomfortable--when i saw how much the airlines were going to gauge me just because i needed to fly the next day--i decided to ride along with my brother. 

Edited by BigStewMan

Who cares? It's all about me, I mean, we're not playing a team sport or something, right? (average American thought process)

Keith

For better or worse, that's the way the Joe Average cookie crumbles.

I agree its a no lose situation for the American gas buyer.

Unless of course that buyer is also part of the mass layoffs here and around the world, or is doing work for, and/or income dependent on the success of the oil company(s); then, not so much. The Oil Co. and Trading exec's won't have to change their life-style, but all those little guys under them, uuuuummm, not so good.

But not to worry, after the drillers sell-off or disassemble and stack-up their rigs, Opec will slam the door on production and the price will rebound (about 12 months time, or so says T. Boon Pickens), and skyrocket to another new all-time-higher price per barrel, and the vicious cycle will repeat itself. Enjoy it while you can, it's the oil roller coaster ride / circle of life, or is it circle of death..... Kumbaya boyz!  

Edited by Gilbert

I love filling up for less but there may be a grim downside.  Russia, Venzuela, European countries and the good old US may suffer large economic losses.  The stock market has crashed for several days and if any of these countries hit a recession, it may spread across the globe.  Then the cheap gas will not look as good.  Just playing devil's advocate. :(

If you read my comment, what will happen is other countries will follow suit with shorting stocks, or selling "puts". If you're not familiar with what that is, it's when you hedge against the market going down.  To "put down" the market means to sell a stock or commodity hoping it drops. Then when it does, you cover (buy) the stock at the low end and gain the profit from selling high and buying low. Opposite effect: To "buy calls" means to have the option of purchasing a stock or commodity at a specific price as the stock/commodity rises. It's an "option" where you hedge the market as it goes up. So you pay the premium of the call which could be pennies on the dollar, and then purchase the stock at that price break and as it goes higher and higher,you gain more money. 

Hedge funds, and the astute investors do this all day long. No offense to anyone in the market. A person/corporation can play options all day long and never have to buy or sell the stock/commodity. You can only lose the price of then option, that's it. 

As we are heading to a global economy, every country does this with each others markets, so even if they do have a depression as they've all done over the last several years,it's already factored in with them. WE the general public, are the ones who feel it more, but even then it shouldn't affect gas prices at this point.

I have heard that these prices are basically done on purpose in order to choke Russia. I cannot confirm though, I think Fox News has been ranting about it or something considering the source.

I keep seeing commericals where Fox News has been complaining about Dish Network threatening to drop them. :wacko:

Some general thoughts about the topic of the thread, in some respects, it seems that the “artificial prices” that have been historically set by OPEC essentially has created this inefficient exploitation of the oil commodity markets.  

From what I have read, fracking is very expensive, the wells are not long-lived; and recent projections of the oil reserves indicate that by decade's end or a few years after, U.S. oil production from fracking will likely flatten out as supplies from these reserves are depleted.

With a quick look at history, I can’t believe that anyone would be lulled into thinking that the current low prices are permanent or in any way indicative of things to come.  For example, if you look at the oil business over the last 100 years, a repeating cycle of price fluctuations can be established and easily seen. 

From a high level, in these commodity markets, such as oil, the oil rises to a high price, sometimes to an extraordinarily high price; and the high price inspire existing companies and new companies to pursue new production and/or enter the business since the prospects for huge profits, and in the case of oil, extremely hugh profits, are so high.  At a price of anywhere between $50 - $70 a barrel needed to make money fracking, there is a huge incentive to make the initial capital investment when oil is $100 a barrel.

While this gravitation of companies to the oil market is going on; at the same time the high prices have also induced, or forced, consumers to use less oil and in many cases, much less.  Think about how many you may know that have bought something on the scale of a Civic, Prius, etc. when they would rather drive a huge truck or SUV.

After a few years of this interaction of new production and less demand, prices collapse.  It has happened before and that is where we are at again today.

As a result of the oil price collapse, the new low oil prices inspire consumers to consume more; and low oil prices induce, or strongly encourage, suppliers to turn off production or completely leave the business and pursue other more profitable businesses.

Once the inefficient players from the production side are weeded out and the consumer demand for oil continues to rise; then you get a supply shortage once again and prices go back up.

It has happened before and there is no reason to believe it will not happen again, and again, and again. 

Sad and from a personal level it sucks; however, I don't remember that last time I saw a company care about the "human side" and keeping people employed.  As the buiness environment has changed during my various jobs/career that spans from 1975, I've been downsized three times already and may be facing a fourth time this year.

Edited by Fjd

I do care about the employees that may have to be laid off due to lower cost of fuel.  But I also care about the people that don't have a job due to excessive operating costs.  I honestly can't remember the number of times I've been laid off from various jobs due to cut backs.  It used to be that a person could work for a company for all of their working life. This does not appear to be the case anymore although I hope there are exceptions though.

I have noticed that I still get charged a fuel charge when shipping items.  That did not go away when fuel prices went down.

I will enjoy the lower price of fuel while I can.  I know that the price will go up sooner or later.  Nothing I can do about  so why worry.  I learned long ago that it is not healthy for me to worry about things I have no control over.  Such as Thermal Nuclear War.  I have long ago accepted that there are things I can influence the out come of.  Other things I'll be lucky to have time to bend over and kiss my arse goodby.

Oil companies appear to have been giving the consumers the shaft and will continue to give us the shaft.  But when things don't go the way they want it to they are right there whining "Oh Poor Me".

Big money really don't appear to give a Rats Anal Orifice about their customers as long as they get what they want.

I have turned down raises due to believing that I was making a Fair Wage for the job I had.  Too many people want to get all they can while they can and dam how it might affect others. 

Edited by Taz
  • Like 1

Big money really don't appear to give a Rats Anal Orifice about their customers as long as they get what they want.

I think Keith's' comment, which I understand completely, shares your thought process. Admittedly, it's the way of the world, kinda sucks, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

and then... what about the highway bill extension? Corps can fund their pension plans less which then boosts their bottom line thereby paying more corporate taxes at the end of the year. The loser is the employee that thinks his employer is fully funding his, and his coworkers, retirement fund.

If anyone needs something to worry about then start worrying about your retirement. You can do something about it.

Keith

You can do something about it.

Without getting political, the problem lies with the people who are on government assistance that refuse to get off of it. Not the ones who want to work. If we as a people came together to take things back from corps going overseas for their building of goods and giving them these tax breaks things would be different. But the issue is,why would someone "join a fight" against the same people giving them the handouts?

I think it's to late for us as a country to go back to the people being the ones who govern things. Big corps and the greedy politicians lining their pockets are what's running things. Good luck to us all getting them out.

• Like 1

Without getting political, the problem lies with the people who are on government assistance that refuse to get off of it. Not the ones who want to work. If we as a people came together to take things back from corps going overseas for their building of goods and giving them these tax breaks things would be different. But the issue is,why would someone "join a fight" against the same people giving them the handouts?

I think it's to late for us as a country to go back to the people being the ones who govern things. Big corps and the greedy politicians lining their pockets are what's running things. Good luck to us all getting them out.

I'm not getting political, I'm just sayin' that I love my Klipsch speakers and plan to buy more someday.

Since you brought it up Jim, if there is a burden because of the laziness of the few then think of the suffering to come because of the laziness now of the many. That is, those that do contribute. Those that are not proactive now or unable to see what is coming in their future when they become a burden because they haven't properly prepared for their own future by being proactive today. By preparing in more than one way. Someone passed the highway bill expansion. Those persons are known and can be dealt with. I hope that makes sense.  

I wonder how much a pair of Klipschorns will cost then?

Keith

I'm not getting political, I'm just sayin' that I love my Klipsch speakers and plan to buy more someday.

Since you brought it up Jim, if there is a burden because of the laziness of the few then think of the suffering to come because of the laziness now of the many. That is, those that do contribute. Those that are not proactive now or unable to see what is coming in their future when they become a burden because they haven't properly prepared for their own future by being proactive today. By preparing in more than one way. Someone passed the highway bill extension. Those persons are known and can be dealt with. I hope that makes sense.  

I wonder how much a pair of Klipschorns will cost then?

Keith

edited for poor spaleing