Separates or not??

DU73

I am running the 35’s 5.1 package on a Yamaha RXV650 7.1 HT receiver.

Is it worth spending the extra bucks in upgrading to separates to replace the Yammy?

If I were to upgrade I will be looking at Rotel (I wouldn’t even know what models). I don’t know much about separates to be honest but I do know of all the separates noted on this forum Rotel is one that I can get my hands on in Australia.

Question is: will there be a noticeable difference in sound and quality or I shouldn’t bother?

If you buy separate power amps or pre-amps that are of higher performance than what you have, there will be a noticeable difference, but it will not be cheap.

What is the 35's 5.1 package? There are RF-35s and RB-35s, which are a bit different from each other.

Yamaha also makes high-quality electronics. I'm using an RX-V750 receiver as a pre-amp to control two Yamaha MX-D1 power amps and the sound is a big step up from the 750's power amp.

Your sources are also important. Upgrading your CD player or turntable might be a less expensive route to better sound as a first step.

Thanks Islander

5.1 package includes: RF35's, RC35, RS35 & RW12

Dont get me wrong, I am happy with the sound but just wondering if there will be a noticable difference with separates

I think I might update my dvd player, I am wanting BlueRay but have to wait until October I think, isn't that when Blue Ray releases it's next model thingy? is that right?

Yamaha also makes high-quality electronics. I'm using an RX-V750 receiver as a pre-amp to control two Yamaha MX-D1 power amps and the sound is a big step up from the 750's power amp

like I mentioned I don't know much about separates, I have no idea what this quote means. So the RXV750 is like what you control the sound and source and the 2 Yammies MXD1 are you using that to connect to your speakers? I know I sound like an idiot. sorry

like I mentioned I don't know much about separates, I have no idea what this quote means. So the RXV750 is like what you control the sound and source and the 2 Yammies MXD1 are you using that to connect to your speakers? I know I sound like an idiot. sorry

Not a dumb question at all. Your receiver controls all the inputs, tv, cd, dvd, plus the decoding Dolby Digital, DTS, and so on. Then it also has to put out power for the speakers. Separates is just letting the receiver control everything and the amps only work on powering the speakers. So, it makes the receiver "work" less and the only thing the amp does is power the speakers. I hope that this helps you out.

I took a quick look at the model that you have, RX-V650 and it said that it does in fact have pre-out connections. So you can use you current receiver and just try an amp. For hook up you will need RCA cable, one single cable, for each channel or speaker. You have to connection the RCA to the receiver then to the amp, the speaker wire will then be connected to the amp then your speaker.

James

i had that same question. i decided to go with the pioneer elite vsx-92txh and not seperates because i wanted the hdmi inmputs. the seperate of choice, for me, was the outlaw product line. they are a great choice and easy on the pocket book. for seperates in my price range none of them had the hdmi inputs. the speakers i will be running with the pioneer is the rf-82 pkg with the rw-12d sub (it has 130wx7). if at some point if have several grand burning a hole in my pocket, i can buy an outlaw amp or some amp and hook it up to in.

Instead of getting seperates, I would reccomend buying better speakers. The 35's sound good, but if you really want to get more out of your speakers, new amps won't make a HUGE difference. Sure you will be able to tell a difference and if you can get a cheap preamp and amp then by all means give it a shot, but if you really want to make a difference, buy some higher end speakers.

Thank you all for your responses

If I can get my hands on a separate amp then I will try hooking it up as per James instructions to try it out and if I like then I will buy.

As for getting bigger better speakers, oh how I love the RF7’s replaced now by the 82’s but at this stage not an option as I do not have the room for it at the moment, my room is a touch less than 20 square meters – so I am pushing it as it is with the 35’s.

My placement of speakers are as follows RF35’s (3.3 meters apart) RC35 is smack bang in the middle of the fronts and the surrounds are approx approx 5.7 meters from the fronts on the back wall approx 3.3 meters apart.

I have made a decision, PS3 for BlueRay (this weekend very excited about that) therefore hopefully better sound there and I will let you know how I go.

Thanks again

I just wanted to add that no avr I've ever heard(up to $3k) could even get close to Rotels starter separates.Not trying to sway you just my opinion having owned several Rotel pcs.A good dealer should let you audition their demo units at home,good luck.

Instead of getting seperates, I would reccomend buying better speakers. The 35's sound good, but if you really want to get more out of your speakers, new amps won't make a HUGE difference. Sure you will be able to tell a difference and if you can get a cheap preamp and amp then by all means give it a shot, but if you really want to make a difference, buy some higher end speakers.

I dont think that would benefit him much given his current reciever. In fact I am sure he would need to upgrade the reciever if he was to go with bigger and better speakers. I believe his current receiver is a entry level, mid level at best. It would be a vicious cycle of upgrades. I dont think it is very sound advice. Just my opinion.

You may be a newby, but that doesn't make you an idiot. We all started somewhere.

Your AV receiver has several units inside it to do various things. There's a tuner to let you hear the radio, a pre-amp to boost incoming signals a bit, but mostly to let you choose which input you're listening to, like CDs, DVDs, the tuner, the TV, as well as whatever else you have connected to the inputs. There's also a volume control, something power amps and most CD players don't have.

After the signal goes through the pre-amp, it's sent to the power amp (a 7-channel amp in your particular receiver) to boost the signal to a level that the speakers can use. However, the receiver has pre-amp out connections, which let you bypass its built-in power amp in order to use an external, or separate, power amp.

When you add up all the components, including several decoders (for Dolby, DTS, and so on), that are in that receiver, all for a relatively low price, you can see how compromises in performance and quality might have to be made. That's where separates come in. You can get a good-quality pre-amp, connect it to a good-quality power amp, and so on, which will give you better sound.

Connecting a better-quality power amp to the receiver's pre-out connectors will give you clearer sound and possibly more power, if you choose a high-power amp. A power amp usually has only an on-off switch, since the pre-amp controls the volume and lets you select which input you want to use. When I got the MX-D1 power amp, the improvement in sound quality was very noticeable. There are several forum members using Yamaha AV receivers as pre-amps, controlling 2-, 5-, or 7-channel power amps, since those receivers seem to have decent pre-amps in them.

In my case, I used a stereo (2-channel) amp to drive my main speakers, while the receiver's power amp drives the center and surround speakers, since 2-channel music is important to me. The receiver has sufficient level adjustments to allow me to match the levels of all the speakers.

Recently, I upgraded the system further, bi-amping the main speakers, using one power amp to drive the mains' woofers and a second one to drive the mains' tweeters, but that's more complicated and expensive.

That is great yes the 83’s great speaker – on my wish list. Need a bigger room though.

Islander and James – great advise – thx – If I were to go down the route of a power amp I would I think I would be better off with a 5 channel as I listen to 90% movies and 10% other. I am a movie nut and with Klipsch well the movie is already better. I think I am coming an expect on all the separates thingy with all your help (well lets not get to carried away hey)

So If I were to go down the route of separates, my audio/visual components will be connected to my yammy receiver as they currently are, then I get a power amp which my speakers would be connected to, then I grab 5 quality RCA leads and connect to pre out on receiver and in on power amp. Question: If my memory serves me well (thinking of what the back of my receiver looks like) I would connect the leads to the Multi Channel area on back of my receiver, and then into the power amp. So the power amp should have 11 connections in total (5 RCA leads, 5 speaker wire banana plugs, and 1 rca lead for Sub)

I have just been quoted $780 for Rotel RMB1048 power amp 40w per channel but they did mention that Rotel RMB1075 120w per channel is better but not in stock. I’ll have to keep an eye out for the RMB1075.

Like Islander mentioned I will be better off if the power amp has more power than my current receiver. So the RMB1075 sounds like the logical choice.

So If I were to go down the route of separates, my audio/visual components will be connected to my yammy receiver as they currently are, then I get a power amp which my speakers would be connected to, then I grab 5 quality RCA leads and connect to pre out on receiver and in on power amp. Question: If my memory serves me well (thinking of what the back of my receiver looks like) I would connect the leads to the Multi Channel area on back of my receiver, and then into the power amp. So the power amp should have 11 connections in total (5 RCA leads, 5 speaker wire banana plugs, and 1 rca lead for Sub)

The components connections is right. The speaker connection is as follows. One, single, RCA cable for each channel that you are going to hook up come out of the receiver then into the separate amp. The amp then will have a pair of speaker connections for each speaker going out. Also you WILL NOT have a sub connection coming out of the amp, this connection should come out of your receiver directly into the sub.

James

The Multi Channel connectors are for using an external decoder and would not be used in this case.

You'd use 5 RCA leads (one for each channel) from the receiver's pre outs to the power amp and 1 RCA lead from the receiver's sub out to the subwoofer (assuming it's a sub with a built-in amp, as most are). The speaker cables would then be attached to the power amp's output connectors.