Chime in on Amplifier questions

mbash

I am looking to up grade for the 3rd time in 12 months(my wife is pissed). I am looking at the Musical Fidelity Ht600 5 channel amp. I listen to 2 channel but also like good movies as well. Look like all the info I find the amp is made for the Forte II that I use for my main listening room. I am currently using a B&K AVC 5000 II with the same power ratings but hear the other is much more musical. Can anyone shed some lite on the subject.....Any info would be appreciated.....

Forte II , Academy center KG 2.2V Surrounds, Rel Q201 sub bass Parrasound 2500u processor

Hello mbash

I use the Musical Fidelity CD Pre 24 and have heard other musical fidelity stereo amps and I have found them to sound very good IMO.

I haven't heard the Ht600 that you are asking about but you might find others who have if you post this question in the Home Theater section of the forum if you have not already done so.

mike tn[:)]

I have never heard their amps, but I have a CD Pre 24 in one system and an A308CR Preamp and CD Player in my main system and an A3.24 DAC for my music server. I use Bryston amps with it. No Klipsch speakers in either system so I can't comment.

Obviously I really like MF equipment. You shoudl be happy. Their older preamps are "tubelike." My A308 sounded "warmer" than a VTL Tube preamp when we compared them. Not sure about the new stuff. Let us know how you like the amp. I would have bought a matching amp fro my Cd Pre system but I had a QSC lying around.

Long story short...if you want musical, put those Fortes on some tubes. Switching from one "mid-fi" solid state amplifier to another "mid-fi" solid state amplifier using the same solid state processor isn't going to make that much of a difference IMO. It may result in a "different" sound, but I doubt it will get more "musical.

I have top of the line B&K seperates for 5.1 movies and a 2 channel tube system for music with RF-7's. I recently tried a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated with the RF-7's. I would rate tube system #1, B&K #2, Musical Fidelity #3. Now the A5 is an integrated, so while it is no slouch, it is certainly at a disadvantage being compared to separates, and I felt it was a liitle forward with Klipsch. While my B&K system is "impressive" in some folks eyes, it doesn't come close to a JM Peach and VRD amplifier musically.

Another option might be to try a tube pre amp with a solid state amplifier, I think that would make more of an improvement than switching SS amps in and out unless of course you go big dollar SS.

My opinion is that there's not going to be a whole lot of diffence changing from the B&K to the Musical Fidelity, that's all. He's stated he's changed amps 3 times already this year and it seems that's all that's happening again. Just giving some food for thought.

My opinion is that there's not going to be a whole lot of diffence changing from the B&K to the Musical Fidelity, that's all. He's stated he's changed amps 3 times already this year and it seems that's all that's happening again. Just giving some food for thought.

You're probably right about that, I wasn't really disagreeing with you. I just wanted to point out that one person's "musical" system might leave someone else unimpressed and disappointed.

DeanG

I am on a quest to make my system as ear freindly as possible. With the Musical Fidelity I belive it will give me the best of both world smooth sound on music and good sounding movies, however I may need some network upgrades for the Forte II as well as my Academy ( with new KLF C7 drivers due to thermal meltdown by my teenage boys). Colerphoto1 and Popbumber ran test at Klipsch to find suitable replacements since Klipsch does not make Academy drivers any longer. The KLF drivers had a little forward presentation that will work fine with movies however Michael said it was a little much on 5 channel music and maybe we would have to build a new network.

Really fine 2CH and really exciting movie listening are incompatible as far as using the same gear. Something has to give.

Pardon me if this sounds like I'm missing something obvious, but if a system reproduces music accurately, wouldn't it also reproduce movie soundtracks just as accurately? There are some folks who crank up the sub when watching movies, but I'm not one of them. I assume that if the system is dialed in properly, it will make the movie sound the way the director intended. Am I mistaken?

Long story short...if you want musical, put those Fortes on some tubes. Switching from one "mid-fi" solid state amplifier to another "mid-fi" solid state amplifier using the same solid state processor isn't going to make that much of a difference IMO. It may result in a "different" sound, but I doubt it will get more "musical.

I have top of the line B&K seperates for 5.1 movies and a 2 channel tube system for music with RF-7's. I recently tried a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated with the RF-7's. I would rate tube system #1, B&K #2, Musical Fidelity #3. Now the A5 is an integrated, so while it is no slouch, it is certainly at a disadvantage being compared to separates, and I felt it was a liitle forward with Klipsch. While my B&K system is "impressive" in some folks eyes, it doesn't come close to a JM Peach and VRD amplifier musically.

Another option might be to try a tube pre amp with a solid state amplifier, I think that would make more of an improvement than switching SS amps in and out unless of course you go big dollar SS.

As always new caps in the Fortes will help.

I agree with everything bolded.

Substitute BB for Peach

Substiute Sherwood Newcastle for B&K