Tower Speakers Rule!

HiStep

I was determined to buy a pair of Polk Monitor 70's to go with my new Onkyo TX605 receiver. Read good Reviews about Polk.

We have 3 big box stores here, BB,CC & HH Gregg. Occasionally I like to spend a Sat. morning "looking". The guy at BB insisted on demoing this "wonderful " (he said) pair of Klipsches for only $459 each. That was $982 ouch! He didn't understand why I ran out the door!

Then, I went to CC fully intending to buy the Polks. I had a 10 percnt coupon. The Polks were on sale for $339 each, but he didn't have any in the store!

So, I went across the street to HH Gregg. They just opened this store in march, so they still have "Grand Opening Itis" He said "we don't carry Polk, WE have Klipsch on sale right now" All of his gadgets were working and in about 2 minutes he had this huge pair of Klipsch F-3's playing through the same model Onkyo receiver as mine! They were $355 each. The same F-3's that were $459 at BB.

These speakers sound great to me! I have the new "Diehard" movie on Blu-Ray and Bruce Willis made my next door neighbor nervous!

This is my very first experience with Klipsch and my questions are: how do they compare with and are they truly better than the Polk Monitor 70?

Can some of you "Klipsch" guys Share your Ideas about these F-3's with me?

Thanks

Herb

This is my very first experience with Klipsch and my questions are: how do they compare with and are they truly better than the Polk Monitor 70?

I doubt you'll get TOO many answers on this forum stating that the Polks are 'better'. I'm sure they're GOOD... but we ARE a bunch of horn heads here!!

I'm not familar with the Polks, NOR that model of Klipsch. I will say... let your ears decide and TRUST what YOUR ears say to YOU.

That said... I'd say, yeah...the Klipsch speakers kick the Polka out of the Polks! [;)]

Now, what you need to do is make an effort to hear some of the larger Klipsch speakers and see what they sound like, relative to the F3's you heard (Were they F3 or RF??.... again, I'm not familar with the tower type at ALL)

Where do you live?

As a disclaimer, I've owned Klipsch speakers for the last 29 years. Bought my first pair (LaScalas) in 1979 and still own and listen to them today. I say that so you know that I am biased.

[;)]

Welcome to the forum and if you get the Klipsch....welcome to the madnes (as some say)!!!

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums HiStep. My first "nice" pair of speakers were Polk RT-800 towers. Here is a photo gallery of my old system. They had a tweeter and two 6.5" woofers. They sounded very nice but when I purchased my first pair of Klipsch CF-2's, they faded in comparison. The horn tweeters in the Klipsch speakers are much brighter and crisper than my previous Polks. Then when I moved up to the RF-83's, I began to say, "Who is Polk?" I listened to the Polk LSI speakers and I was not impressed either. I had the CS300 center channel and was NEVER satisfied with the dialog from it. I don't think you are missing out on the Monitor 40's. Just be sure not to demo the Klipsch RF series or the Heritage series or you might find yourself upgrading again. :)

I haven't listened to either of the speakers you're asking about. I do think you're better off with the Klipsch though. I'd bet their two 8" woofers out perform Polks four 61/2" and the Klipsch horn loaded tweeter out performs Polk's dome tweeter. I owned Polk's Monitor 7 speakers once and they sounded good, but their 61/2" woofers could not take any real bass at volume. Enjoy your Klipsch and welcome to this Klipsch forum.

• Moderators

I owned Polk's Monitor 7 speakers once and they sounded good, but their 61/2" woofers could not take any real bass at volume.

Neither did my Polk RT-800's. The soft dome tweeter definitely does not compare to the horn tweeters in Klipsch speakers.

I started with the Synergy line about six years ago. F-3's.........you've only begun to scratch the surface of what Klipsch speakers can offer. [:D]

In my opinion.......Klipsch offer high-end sound without the high-end price. Clarity and detail that always leaves me wanting more. [Y]

If you like the F-3's..........RF-7's or RF-83's will make you drool.

I as well had the Polk RT-800i's. I actually LOVED them but they are a different sound. My first Klipsch was a pair of RF-3II's that replaced the Polks in my main system. The Polks were religated to back porch duty, and again I loved them.

I compare Polk's to a more sensitive B & W speaker. Obviously not the high end B & W's.

Anyhooo, hope you're enjoying those Klipsch. I have only two systems now, and both feature Klipsch.

Hello again,

you guys are great![H] Thanks for you input. It sounds like I have found some new friends here. I'll be back later when I can spend more time. I have a bunch of questions to ask, but I have to get up at 3:00 am. Thanks again cu

• Moderators

It sounds like I have found some new friends here. I'll be back later when I can spend more time.

Indeed you have. Great community of Klipsch lovers here. Just noticed we are distant neighbors. Only a few hours from ya.

OK, I'm also kind of a newbie. I bought my first set of Klipsch year and a half ago(synergy bookshelf) I like them and they did pretty well for the money. I then got the chance to hear some bigger Klipsch and really loved those. So I bought a 30 year old pair of KG-4s that sounded awesome but just wouldn't give me the dynamics I was looking for. I now own a pair of Klipsch Fortes and they are the ones for me. I have no desire to go any bigger. These just plain rock the house down. I will eventually own 7 identical for full 7.1 but that will take time for me. For the money you are looking to spend find a pair of Fortes, or Chorus, or Heresys and you will be truly blown away. There is nothing on the market that will compete in that price range and you will have a system that others envy.

That's just my 2 cents.

Rick

OK, I'm also kind of a newbie. I bought my first set of Klipsch year and a half ago(synergy bookshelf) I like them and they did pretty well for the money. I then got the chance to hear some bigger Klipsch and really loved those. So I bought a 30 year old pair of KG-4s that sounded awesome but just wouldn't give me the dynamics I was looking for. I now own a pair of Klipsch Fortes and they are the ones for me. I have no desire to go any bigger. These just plain rock the house down. I will eventually own 7 identical for full 7.1 but that will take time for me. For the money you are looking to spend find a pair of Fortes, or Chorus, or Heresys and you will be truly blown away. There is nothing on the market that will compete in that price range and you will have a system that others envy.

That's just my 2 cents.

Rick

For 2 cents that is good advice.