The Happening

Brac

• Moderators

That's the curse of a highly successful first mainstream film. Everything made after it is compared to it, and judged by it.

I enjoyed all of his subsequent films, particularly Signs and Unbreakable, and to a lesser degree The Village and Lady in the Water. But I didn't compare them to Sixth Sense, nor did I count on surprise endings. They are what they are, and they are all different.

I'm looking forward to seeing The Happening, despite all the disappointment that it's nothing like the Sixth Sense, or what "we'd expect" from Shyamalan. I'm not sure how we can even expect something from him at all when he's consistently judged on a body of work equaling one film.

Just my 2 cents. [:)]

Ebert really liked it

Ebert says"I suspect I'll be in the minority in praising this film. It will be described as empty, uneventful, meandering." well he got that part right.

Amy, I can't wait for you to see it and give us your take.

• Moderators

Ebert says"I suspect I'll be in the minority in praising this film. It will be described as empty, uneventful, meandering." well he got that part right.

Amy, I can't wait for you to see it and give us your take.

Well, I've often been guilty of liking movies that seemingly have little to no plot, so I'm definitely interested in checking this one out. You'll have to wait until DVD release, though... I try not to pay box office (and babysitter) prices on potential duds.

[:)]

If you want to see a movie that delivers all it promises, check out Shoot 'Em Up. It stars Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti and Monica Delucci and is hilariously violent, in the over-the-top way of movies like Kill Bill. It has no pretensions to fine art, it's just a manly man saving a damsel and a baby from an army of bad guys led by a brilliant but evil villain by blasting holes in them with whatever's handy.

I watched it two nights in a row with two different friends and I'd watch it again anytime. Even my shy lady friend found it funny, and of course the baby was cute.

That's the curse of a highly successful first mainstream film. Everything made after it is compared to it, and judged by it.

I enjoyed all of his subsequent films, particularly Signs and Unbreakable, and to a lesser degree The Village and Lady in the Water. But I didn't compare them to Sixth Sense, nor did I count on surprise endings. They are what they are, and they are all different.

I'm looking forward to seeing The Happening, despite all the disappointment that it's nothing like the Sixth Sense, or what "we'd expect" from Shyamalan. I'm not sure how we can even expect something from him at all when he's consistently judged on a body of work equaling one film.

Just my 2 cents. Smile

I saw "Signs" and "The Village." I would not have known to compare these to any other work. Without having anything to compare to, "sucks" still sucks. This man has a name that is bigger than he is. Way too much credit.

What a piece of crap. If you've seen the previews, you've seen everything the movie has to offer. It's hard not to compare this to his other movies. But even if I didn't know who made it, it's still garbage.

I haven't seen lady in the water, but the other four had "twist" endings, so yes, I did expect some kind of surprise at the end. Even just a simple explanation would have been good.

And I like Roger Ebert, but I think anyone who says they like this movie are just trying to show how "enlightened" and "cultured" they are. They didn't really like it.

Look at these reviews. Even the people who said they liked it said so in a passive/agressive way.

Seems to me that if every other film release is mindless crap then M Knight Shamalonga-ding dong is in good company. My take on it......there hasn't been a "decent" movie since "The Sound of Music" [:D] Oh..and of course all the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns [;)].

Haven't seen the happening yet....but got to say I'm with Amy on this one.

I loved the story that was told in "Lady in the water", The "Village" was kinda hooky, but enjoyable....and I really Liked "Signs".

To each his own.....I guess you could say the same about Hitchcock films...that they had all had reverse twist endings...but all of his had great charecter development and the POV camera narrative still is genius.....OK I just ruined my arguement...Hitch is unmatched...But I rather enjoy MKS movies

Well, I have to admit that The Happening was the first MNS film that I just Did Not Like! I found it to be absolutely pointless. I pay absolutely no attention whatsoever to reviews, and tend to Not prejudge movies based on the directors earlier works, so I am generally not to dissapointed when one work does not "compare" to an earlier one, but this one was just a 2 hour waste of time and money!!