America

Happy Birthday USA! And a big thanks for all those who have served and continue to serve so that we may live in the freest country on earth. Is the USA perfect. No. But we do have the ability to change it and the freedom to gripe about things that could be better.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Marine Corps tradition is to never leave a Marine behind. As Marines climbed into the cargo hold of an arriving flight in Reno, NV, to cover the casket of Second Lt. James Cathey with a flag, the dead soldier's family gathered on the tarmac. Passengers remained on the plane, respectfully watching until the casket was carried to a waiting hearse.

Marine Major Steve Beck is the unit commander, which notifies the families of the deaths of their sons and daughters in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Major Beck knows that the airport arrivals are one of the most powerful scenes for the families in their grieving process. "See the people in the windows?" Beck once said, "They'll sit right there in the plane, watching those Marines. You gotta wonder what's going through their minds, knowing that they're on the plane that brought him home. They're going to remember being on that plane for the rest of their lives. They're going to remember bringing that Marine home. And they should."

post-7149-138193816874_thumb.jpg

post-7149-1381939309392_thumb.jpg

Timmikid's reaction reminds me of a funny comedian I saw the other day. He was talking about how irritating it must be for others around the world to keep hearing us brag about how our country is the greatest in the world. I forgot how he put it, but it was a very funny eye-opener.

There are many great countries. America is one, but not the only one.

Greatest country? Hard to say if there can be such a thing, with so many different ways to measure the factors that may add up to "greatness".

If America isn't the Greatest Country on Earth ........ then please tell me which country you think is ....... just curious as to your answer ...... not looking to argue Jeff, but what else would an American say ?

No. You missed my point. It was that I recently heard something funny by a comedian about how we like to declare our greatness so much. Guess what? I found it..... Lewis Black. Pretty funny!

If America isn't the Greatest Country on Earth ........ then please tell me which country you think is ....... just curious as to your answer ...... not looking to argue Jeff, but what else would an American say ?

Definitely The United States of America!!!!

Anyone wanna debate? Name a better one. You can't.

I've seen a bunch of them on 6 continents. They come and go. We're here and we'll stay here. Our system will see to that. We deeply believe in America. We love the U.S.A. and that's why we are the greatest country. We have always been willing to fight for our beliefs and rights. It's the unequaled love we have here that will always keep us where we are.

We love our Freedom.

We also stand up for the little guy needing help from the bad guy.

We help the countries that can't help themselves.

We feed the needy around the world.

Our doctors and medical people volunteer to help around the world.

We educate many doctors and nurses at our expense so they can go home and improve their medical care.

We build schools, hospitals, new independent governments around the world at our expense.

No sense going on any longer.

You've got a right to your opinions and a right to voice them. Maybe, just maybe, that's another reason we're the greatest country in the world. You can speak up without being imprisoned, or your tongue cut out, or beheaded, or persecuted for speaking your mind. Well, except for some Patriotic Zealot like me.

You also have the right to leave anytime you want. If you don't love the "Good ol' U.S.A." go ahead and leave or don't even come here. Nobody here is forcing you.

I love the U.S.A.

Harry

Anyone who doubts that this isn't the greatest country in the world should go to the country of their dreams. But please go for at least 1 or 2 years or even better, forever. Why bother with a second rate place?

Vacationing will only give you a slice of life in your shangri-la.

Personally, I don't long to visit, much less live, anywhere else.

So go, please! Stop the endless whining and just do it.

We'll all be better off.

Anyone who doubts that this isn't the greatest country in the world should go to the country of their dreams. But please go for at least 1 or 2 years or even better, forever. Why bother with a second rate place?

We'll all be better off.

Stop whining about whiners. If you don't want to be in a country full of whiners, then, by all means, please, go somewhere else where they don't whine. [;)](I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist).

We'll all be better off.

Who's whining?

quote "

We love our Freedom.

We also stand up for the little guy needing help from the bad guy.

We help the countries that can't help themselves.

We feed the needy around the world.

Our doctors and medical people volunteer to help around the world.

We educate many doctors and nurses at our expense so they can go home and improve their medical care.

We build schools, hospitals, new independent governments around the world at our expense. " end qoute

I could say that about The Netherlands as well. Anyway it's not important to be the best country, because one can't measure it indeed. Too may variables. Whiners could come up with a huge list of deplorable situations, patriots could come up with a list of grandeur. Both will be right, but incomplete. To each his own, as long as pride doesn't turn into feeling superior, all fine! Tim.

Congratulations USA! I love your country. Yes Although I find it strange to call your own country the best in the world, especially on a forum with friends from abroad. Who do you think you are? More equal than others? And BTW, everybody knows Holland is the greatest county in the world, but USA has the greatest country in the world! Wink

Not cool questioning the U.S.A. on it's greatness on it's Birthday. I take things like this personally.

Whining? No. Pis..d off, Yes?

Why would you make a statement like that on our Independence weekend holiday? I don't know if it was in jest but I considered it rude and unfriendly.

I tried to be nice with my earlier post but the gloves are off pal. We can live without your beer and hookers. We have our own. Come to think about it, I doubt your country has anything we need at all.

Harry

Timmi, I am sure Holland has a national holiday. You might want to get all your friends on this forum on your national day and say how Holland is the greatest country in the world. See if you don't, per chance, pis... off a few Americans. [;)]

It would be entertaining to see the show on the other foot.

We'll all be better off.

Stop whining about whiners. If you don't want to be in a country full of whiners, then, by all means, please, go somewhere else where they don't whine. Wink(I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist).

Never said this country was full of whiners.

Never even said there was many.

I'm not the one whose unhappy here and I'm not going anywhere.

Case closed!!!

I am impressed that those feeling the need to say that we're the greatest country also live in the the most gawdforsaken parts of it. New York?? Indiana??? Texas??? Everyone knows that Montana is the greatest state and, by far, the best place to live. The rest of you just hate us 'cause you're jealous. You couldn't pay me enough to live in those lesser states - even the ones I've never been to.

Just MHO, but I think Earth is the greatest planet. We're all brothers and sisters.

Let’s agree on that, but if the Martians start derailing this thread now, it's your fault! [:D] It was never my intention to offend anyone. Rereading I always stated that I thought the USA was great and I never questioned it’s greatness. I was just wondering if some of you realized that calling the USA the greatest country in the world, could be interpreted that you mean other countries are therefore less. I failed getting this question across the way I intended. It could lie in the interpretation of words, cultural difference or something else. Exactly finding out the latter was the goal of my initial post. The Dutch have a tendency to be too straightforward for their own good. That interesting cultural difference. Anyway, I probably, no definitely should have realized that this thread is not the place and time for this kind of food for thought. Rereading I must also admit that it got a little irritating at the end. I apologize for that. I hope that someday, by some mysterious way of fate we can laugh about this or at least discuss the matter in a more understanding way, of course with a glass of beer in our hands. Mine won’t be Dutch, neither will be my treat! There is always “Hope”… Maybe there?

To add to the hookers and beer (exceptions let alone) you don’t need Dutch music either! USA rock on and happy birthday.

With this I hope the thread will bend back to positive. Whatever we shout at eachother, allies forever! Let's not forget that.

Greetings, Tim.

I didn't see anything at all rude or offensive in what you said. It's hard to inject a note of rational thought when people are busy thumping their chests. I think that the perspective of someone in Holland is quite valuable when others declare their own nation "über alles."