235-MPG VW

seti

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you mean, like, drilling here for oil, so we don't have to buy it from terrorists?

I could get excited about that. It could get us through until we get the hydrogen fuel cell perfected.

I would refer you to the post Mark made in the Oil Bubble thread, pointing out that the U.S. exports 1.6 million barrels a day of refined petroleum products. That would go a LONG way to serving our needs if it stayed here, but the oil companies obviously make more by exporting.

If we are buying oil from terrorists, that would explain the high prices.

We don't negotiate with terrorists! Surprise

Funniest thing I read all weekend!

That made me laugh out loud... I think I'll go to bed now.

If we are buying oil from terrorists, that would explain the high prices.

We don't negotiate with terrorists! Surprise

I want that on a TShirt. [Y]

What ever fuel source is next I hope it is something we have a large supply of [:|]

Bin Laden early on said that if he couldn't bomb us into oblivion that he would bankrupt the US.

Making a car deform nicely and not hurt occupants is an EASY job when it hits a solid wall straight on. Accidents are never like the perfect conditions in a lab. The same vehicle can do fantastic in a frontal collision, but suck in an offset frontal collision. In a side impact it may do well, but be a POS in rollovers.

I would not want to drive a rolling coffin. BTW... the above car was a rental Pontiac G5 with 3,300 KMS on the odometer, brand new. How do you think the same vehicle would perform 3 years from now? 5 years? Food for thought.

The lone occupant of the car was merely scraped and bruised... but released the same morning from the hospital.

post-9504-1381938168928_thumb.jpg

post-9504-1381939309595_thumb.jpg

40 grand? Seems ridiculous. I don't know anyone that wants such a thing. All the people I know who are looking at a new car want to see some common sense: a small sedan that gets 60MPG and costs $20K or so. A silly novelty car like this would be fun if it sold for $10k. At $40K it just tells me Volkswagen=Stupid. They can now join GM=Stupid, FORD=STUPID, CHRYSLER=BEYOND MORONIC.

That's funny! I was commenting the other day on how stupid GM was. Did you see the commercial where the man is next to a GM hydrogen-powered car, talking to young, elementary-school kids about hydrogen power? Now, if GM HAD such a car and was marketing it, it might have been a good commercial. But seeing as GM DOES NOT HAVE SUCH A CAR FOR SALE, what in they hell were they thinking? Spend lots of money advertising a product you do not sell. Perfect! I wonder if they have any job openings in the marketing department. Probably not, seeing as the jobs only require people with non-severed brain stems. That pretty much qualifies anyone.

I can go you one better. They introduced the EV-1 electric car in 1996 - way ahead of the Prius. Then they pay off the California Air Resources Board to get electric cars killed, crush up all the EV-1s, allow their ARCH rival Toyota to introduce the Prius and totally capture the market, and now they struggle to introduce the Volt maybe 15 years later after Toyota sews the market up!

It's a company that SHOULD be bankrupt. That is the just deserts of random stupidity. And is it any wonder why Starbucks has a higher market cap than GM?

There was a small documentary about the team that developed the car. They were heart broken to see all their hardwork simply destroyed. Some of the development team wanted to buy one but were not allowed. Sad. Stupid.

Do you mean, like, drilling here for oil, so we don't have to buy it from terrorists?

I could get excited about that. It could get us through until we get the hydrogen fuel cell perfected.

I would refer you to the post Mark made in the Oil Bubble thread, pointing out that the U.S. exports 1.6 million barrels a day of refined petroleum products. That would go a LONG way to serving our needs if it stayed here, but the oil companies obviously make more by exporting.

I'm not exactly sure what this point has to do with drilling for oil. But since it was brought up a second time (in a different thread), it's important to point out the US also imports 3.5 million bpd.

It's also worth mentioning that all the refineries in this country are not US owned! Do you believe Chavez/Citgo really wants to sell us cheap gas because he really cares?

dbspl

Actually, Citgo is pretty darn responsible and has really helped a lot of people with heating oil. AT one time they sold heating oil in Philly at a 40% discount to low income families. I can't recall seeing anything like that from Chevron.

Let me get this straight...

Exxon Modil = Bad Oil Company

Chavez/CITGO = Good Oil Company

SWEET!!!

So when Chavez limits oil exports to the rest of the world and drives up prices he's really helping everybody out...right?

dbspl

I'm not exactly sure what this point has to do with drilling for oil. But since it was brought up a second time (in a different thread), it's important to point out the US also imports 3.5 million bpd.

It's also worth mentioning that all the refineries in this country are not US owned! Do you believe Chavez/Citgo really wants to sell us cheap gas because he really cares?

dbspl

I am assuming that the 3.5 million bpd is crude and not refined. What is the average yield of crude to refined? I know this all depends on what you are ending up with. I just also understand that the oil companies are more than happy to sell overseas for even higher profits.

/quote] I am assuming that the 3.5 million bpd is crude and not refined. What is the average yield of crude to refined? I know this all depends on what you are ending up with. I just also understand that the oil companies are more than happy to sell overseas for even higher profits.

Marvel,

The 3.5 million I refer to is refined petroleum. The point I wanted to make is that the US is a net importer of refined petroleum too (not only oil). In other words, more high paying jobs that we're outsourcing.

Business does have a lot to do with the fact this country exports refined petroleum, but there's also some very logical reasons. For example, many refineries are located in Texas. Mexico is a net importer of refined petroleum. We sell refined petroleum to Mexico because it's easier and cheaper to ship there than most of the northern states. We also export a small amount of Alaskan crude oil to Canada for the same reason.

BTW, Mexico is a net exporter of crude oil. So they sell us oil, we refine it and sell it back to them.

I'm not sure, but I suspect this might have something to do with NAFTA...

dbspl