235-MPG VW

seti

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/07/laugh-at-high-g.html

It looks more like a covered motorcycle but at 235MPG who gives a flip. I'd drive one. Apparently VW didn't think it would be viable until 2012 but now they are planing a 2010 production date. Not sure I would feel safe on our highways but given the gas price trends US cars are shrinking already.

vw_one_liter_concept01_2.jpg

vw_one_liter_concept06_3.jpg

Tiny

vw_one_liter_concept10.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ya know, I see things like that and they look cool. The MPG is great, but then I consider pulling onto the hwy. Not so much concerned with crash protection, as much as I am with a 0 to 60mph time of ........40 days and 40 nights..........

Just wonder how safe that is.....

tc

An advanced Bobsled? I still want one LOL.....

With its 235 mpg fuel economy, it can travel 400 miles on its 1.7 gallon fuel tank…all the while achieving a 75 mph top speed.

With the VW 1-Liter, VW engineers showed that safety doesn’t have to be
compromised to obtain ultra light weight. The 639 pound car
incorporates advanced safety features including a deformable front end,
an impact tolerant spaceframe, and racing car-like roll-over
protection. It also has anti-lock braking, electronic stability program
(ESP), and a driver’s airbag. All it needs now, from our perspective,
is a quick path to market.

This volvo is pretty hot...

Is that her name?

BTW, that 235 mpg volkswagon appears to be impeding traffic....

That pic is from a media event. The head of VW was making a 230 mile trip to proveit could make the trip on 1 liter. If you notice all the vehicles behind it are VW....

Since gas has gone up in price my driving habits have changed. If I don't have to get somewhere at a certain time I don't break 60 on the HWY. Slow lane or gas saving lane lol...

Honda's going backwards. The new 2008 Accord is nearly a full-sized vehicle and the mileage is worse than before. In 30 years I've been driving Hondas their mileage has remained around 30mpg.

I'm ready for a NEW adventure next time....

There has to be something else to this vehicle for that much milage like electric motor, batteries, solar cells. You can't get 235 mpg with a 639 lb car on gas. It's a violation of the laws of physics. The smallest bikes only get 100 mpg with 150 cc engines. It's the same nonsense with the other Aero vehicle that gets 300 mpg and of course it had batteries and electric motor and it was in fact an electric car with a small gasolene motor. The higher the price of gas goes so goes the amount of baloney in the sandwich.

JJK

There has to be something else to this vehicle for that much milage like electric motor, batteries, solar cells. You can't get 235 mpg with a 639 lb car on gas. It's a violation of the laws of physics. The smallest bikes only get 100 mpg with 150 cc engines. It's the same nonsense with the other Aero vehicle that gets 300 mpg and of course it had batteries and electric motor and it was in fact an electric car with a small gasolene motor. The higher the price of gas goes so goes the amount of baloney in the sandwich.

JJK

This was already proved in Germany. The head of VW drove with a media caravan on 1 Liter with out stopping. It is small, slow, lightweight, and only carries 1 liter of fuel. The engine is only 8.5hp if I read correctly. I wouldn't hit the Autobah [:|] I don't expect to ever see this in the US.

What is coming to America is the VW TDI Hybrid.

VW_TDI_HYBRID.jpg

VW has combined a turbocharged 75 HP 3-cylinder diesel, a 27 HP
electric motor with a trunk-mounted NiMH battery, and a 7-speed DSG.
The result should be an average of 3.4L/100km (69 mpg). The VW is capable of driving either totally on electric or diesel
power (or obviously a combination of both). A stop/start system shuts
down the engine when sitting in city traffic. And to further charge the
batteries there is a regenerative braking system.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/03/revealed-volksw.html

Would this be a good deal at $40K+? Let's find out...

I already have a nice VW that gets 44mpg on the highway. For 11K miles a year that's 250 gallons, so at $4/gallon that's $1000/year.

The new VW at 235mpg for 11K miles per year would be about 47 gallons, at $4/gallon that's $188/year.

So I would svae $812/year, and the breakeven point would be $40k/(1000-188)= 49 years?!!

Not for me...

post-16099-1381938167103_thumb.jpg

post-16099-1381939307929_thumb.jpg

I agree with you that we would save more money in the long run by driving a Golf TDI. That is until the prices of these hybrids start dropping which will eventually happen. The important thing to me is that car companies are now trying. You always pay more to be on the cutting edge but eventually the cutting edge trickles down to the rest of us.

I have noticed in the parking lot at work that the amount of large vehicles and suvs are dwindling. Living in Arkansas people love their monster sized vehicles. Many are trading in trucks and suvs for 4cyl cars.

So I would svae $812/year, and the breakeven point would be $40k/(1000-188)= 49 years?!!

Not for me...

I think a lot of folks don't do the math on things like this. Someone can keep driving a gas guzzling beater for quite a while if it is already paid for, and still feel like he is doing ok.

The hybrids aren't helping a whole lot. I want to see a car with a diesel powered generator running the electrics. The diesel would be optimized for the load of the generator. It should be way more efficient.

Bruce

Honda does have some ideas, but I know not what they were thinking...

Dude that is cooool ! ! ! I want one. Wonder what they call that. The Elevator.

The VW 1L is going to start at $40K but if it does go into full production the price would be much lower. The initial 1000 will be made in their prototype factory and have a $40K price tag.

It is going to take the American car companies along time to catch up with alternative designs but it is never too late.