OT: How to mess with a Radio Shack sales person

Daddy Dee

That is nice! I don't know if I could pull it off though.

I stopped shopping at Radio Shack almost 20 years ago just because having to leave my name cost me an extra $80 on a $2 head phone adapter. I was in college at Syracuse and stopped at Radio Shack to run in a get the part. The lot in front was full so I parked at the building next door, it was all interconnected parking lots. I grab the part in 30 seconds and then spend 5 minutes surviving the interogation just to pay. I come out and my car is gone! Apparently I parked in front of a lawyers office. They are between the Radio Shack and an adult bookstore. They don't like the adult bookstore people parking in their lot so they had a tow truck standing by to tow instantly. It took $80 out of the beer fund to get the car back, not fun!

Chris

So you don't shop at radio shack anymore because you parked on someone elses private property and got towed? Got it.

It wasn't private property. This was a shopping complex where Radio Shack, the lawyers, and other offices were. Adult bookstore was in lot next door. Apparently the lawyers office did have a problem with people parking in front of their portion of space and going to the bookstore as there were at teh edge of the complex. They decided to tell a tow company to watch and take any cars where people parked and went into the bookstore. They did have signs up that the parking was only for businesses located in that complex. Radio Shack was in the complex, I was entitled to park there. The police said that I could either pay to get my car back, or file a complaint for improper seizure and try and get the car back that way. Needed the car and not the hassle so I paid and never went back to Radio Shack. I did file a complaint with the police and let the lawyers know that their tow truck contractor was a little over zealous. They apologized and said that if I had waited until they were opened again on the Monday after (the incident took place on a Saturday) then they would have called the company and had them release the car. They weren't willing to pay me back however.

Guess I should have been clearer in my orgininal explanation.

Guest srobak

It wasn't private property. This was a shopping complex where Radio Shack, the lawyers, and other offices were.

This would in fact make it private property. Stores, Malls and their associated parking lots are not like city parks. While publicly accessible - they are under no obligation which forces them to permit you access. By the letter of the law - they could have a guy standing at the entrance and deny all red cars on a Tuesday from parking there, and there could be another guy at the front door denying patronage for everyone wearing a blue shirt... and there is not a single thing you can do about it.

They did have signs up that the parking was only for businesses located in that complex. Radio Shack was in the complex, I was entitled to park there. The police said that I could either pay to get my car back, or file a complaint for improper seizure and try and get the car back that way. Needed the car and not the hassle so I paid and never went back to Radio Shack.

I would bring that to the attention of the management company for the complex then - not the individual store owners which are customers of the complex management/ownership. You can still do it after the fact, and threaten a lawsuit if you want for damages and loss of access to your vehicle.

Of course this is IF the portion of the lot that you parked in was not marked specifically for the attorney's office. If it was - well... then you have no recourse. But if I own a Burger King and you park there and walk into the Pizza Hut next door - you better believe I will have your car hooked before you even get your drink served. :)

I did file a complaint with the police

It is a private party/private property and civil issue, not a criminal one. The police did not tow your car, nor issue any citations or fines. Chances are your complaint didn't even make it onto paper or any type of report. You should seriously contact the property manager and hash it out with them.

Your non-patronage of Radio Shack has absolutely nothing to do with the situation at hand, and accomplishes nothing, really. It isn't Radio Shack's fault that you were towed.

Radio Static .......... little stores around here, very little, the Biggest ones tend to be in big malls or shopping centers now. I remember when you could find them in small towns, and villages ............. went the way of SEARS Catalogue stores, I guess ..........

you can still find quite a few of them in small Towns. They are called dealers and they are independently owned, but they are definitely still there. When the wife still worked for franchise one of her small stores was doing close to 5 million annually in Montana I think she told me once that his town had about 1500 residents there.

you can still find quite a few of them in small Towns. They are called dealers and they are independently owned, but they are definitely still there. When the wife still worked for franchise one of her small stores was doing close to 5 million annually in Montana I think she told me once that his town had about 1500 residents there.

That's an impressive performance. The RS store in Russellville, AR is owned by a guy that has got all kinds of alternative inventory. It's much better than the usual RS store.

There's still a lot of Radio Shacks ... but not as many as a few years ago. Closed down 2 of the 3 here in Kokomo in the last 2 to 3 years. Kept the one by the mall, not the one on the side of town near where I live. It seems like there's still one in most towns of 10K or more.