Help a noob switch to tubes

jpm

I came into a bit of money recently, and am seriously considering making the switch to tubes. I have a 2006 set of LaScalas and a Hsu sub. Currently running Rega SS. I don't want to fiddle fart around modifying old tubed gear, just plug and play. Also, no offense to China, but I want American gear. What about Crites' stuff? Oh, I only want to spend around $3000 total for an amp and preamp. Thoughts?

I also don't want to lose that killer tight bass SLAM I get at higher volumes with SS.

Yes, for $3K you have got alot of very nice options.

I'd second a Juicy Music preamp if you decide to go with seperates. Don't discount the JM Merlin, which is JM's little brick of a preamp. I also had a Peach and I couldn't tell any difference in the sound between them. If you don't need the additional features on the Peach or Blueberry, the Merlin is killer. Contact Mark Deneen for info on JM preamps. There are others on the forum who could also be helpful in consulting.

Had a chance to listen to a Cayin integrated tube amp, don't recall the model, in a listening room at the Klipsch factory. I'd that's a pretty good reference. I'm sure someone could chime in with the particular model in use there. For simplicity in a single unit, it is very nice.

BTW, I really enjoyed using a sub with my LaScalas. Just a little rounding out of bass extension makes a huge improvement.

I really like George Wright tube gear. The direct sales line is very affordable but very very good. The Signature line is better looking but higher priced. For $3K you can get a killer system.

Direct Sales Line. http://wright-sound.com/scripts/openExtra.asp?extra=2

George Wright Signature Line http://wright-sound.com/scripts/openExtra.asp?extra=3

I just got home from work. Thanks for the replies so far. Man I don't want to have to research this too much. Wish I could just get a general consensus on one particular piece or pieces that really stand out. Heh, sounds like $3000 is more than I really need to spend too... how about $2000? Still in the park?

I just got home from work. Thanks for the replies so far. Man I don't want to have to research this too much. Wish I could just get a general consensus on one particular piece or pieces that really stand out. Heh, sounds like $3000 is more than I really need to spend too... how about $2000? Still in the park?

You really should do research even though you don't want to.

I think you could do very well with George Wright integrated. Take the money left over and buy some killer tubes. Or you could pick up the WLA12A and a set of his monoblocks.George Wright is one of my favorite craftsmen. Looks simple sounds stellar.

http://www.wright-sound.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=23

wa1515_1.jpg

If you prefer something more classic. You could pick up a McIntosh tube preamp and a MC225 or any of the vintage McIntosh gear is killer. I just prefer new tube gear. http://audioclassics.com/

There is really so much good gear on the market. It shouldn't be too much trouble to find something really good especially for the money. Dee mentioned the Cayin A88T. May of us heard it at the Klipsch pilgrimage 2006 and it was a stunning performer. I was suprised at how good it was. I think the price is right at $2K. It has two modes 45watt and 22watt.

A review http://6moons.com/audioreviews/cayin/a88t.html

hero5.jpg

hero9.jpg

Here is a reseller.

http://www.davidmichaelaudio.com/pc-145-6-cayin-audio-a-88t-integratedpower-vacuum-tube-amplifier-2245-watt-with-kt-88-tubes.aspx

I am big fan of george wright and his equipment. I have owned his wpp 100 phono stage for a number of years and have heard a fair bit of his gear in other systems. I have to say however that as much of a fan of georges as I am I really prefer the juicy music gear that I currently own as well as the JM gear that I have owned. Dave is right to lust after the BB extreme. Its an incredible piece of audio gear. I believe that Mark has been working on some new amplification gear and maybe I dreamed it but I thought that an integrated amp may be in the offing in the near future. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong on this.

Josh

Ditto on Wright gear. I'm running his WPA3.5 mono amps with his WLA12 preamp, and am very happy. He offers 2a3 and 300B single-ended designs if you're OK with the lower power (you'd be surprised at what 3.5 watts of Wright power can do), or he has some higher powered push-pull designs, one being a nice integrated (as was already pointed out).

Also, I've owned a JuicyMusic Peach preamp, VERY nice - can't go wrong there either.

Also, remind us about your listening habits, including typical volume and music choice. That would facilitate informed recommendations because there are different types of tube amps, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, just as there are different brands of tube gear.

I'm smelling a good PP v. SET discussion from miles away..........

BTW, I also echo the praise for JuicyMusic tube prepros.

Carl.

Also, remind us about your listening habits, including typical volume and music choice. That would facilitate informed recommendations because there are different types of tube amps, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, just as there are different brands of tube gear.

I'm smelling a good PP v. SET discussion from miles away..........

BTW, I also echo the praise for JuicyMusic tube prepros.

Carl.

That is why I offered up the higher powered Wright and Cayin because it is easier to cover all bases with 15-44 watts. It is funny that in most other systems they are low watt. I love SET. I am running PP now but it doesn't have the finesse of a great SET. Not all SET or PP are created equal.... You started it Carl [:#]

Where are you located? If your in Texas come listen to my Bat gear. Try to audition a few differnt brands before you choose, it will be time WELL spent. There are a lot of good people here that will let you hear there tube gear.

Cornman

Check out what is on audiogon right now.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1224374334

More impressive with all the tubes installed but when I get one of these it will be fore keeps. You can't go wrong with a VK60.... Well except for the new VK with supertube but still a tremendous deal.

1219190005.jpg

1219190008.jpg

Finally a pic of a vk with all tubes installed.

BAT_VK60_tn.jpg

Right on Seti-"it will be for keeps". Financial times are hard for a lot of folks these days, me included. But they will have to get a lot worse before I sell my beloved VK60. I still wont to hear the NOS & Juicy products, as well as some of the other fine gear recommended here. But they will have to compete side by side with the Bat be for I ever let it go. So do some listening & find the right sound for your ears be for you purchase JPM.

Cornman