OT Home Vacuum...best for a reasonable price???

SilverSport

I need a new home vacuum...grew up with the Family Kirby...great vacuum...V E R Y expensive and somewhat difficult to use the attachements (timewise)...bought Hoovers twice after that...both bit the dust and the last (Wind Tunnel) was okay but top heavy and cleaning mostly hardwood floors, using the attachements caused it to overturn a lot...

Little brother recommends the Dyson and that is a thought but I am finding mixed information on the "errornet"

Oreck seems to be a nice Vac but you need the little cannister to get into corners and whatnot (attachements don't work on the Oreck)

I have found a nice price (similar to the others) for a reconditioned Kirby but they are still heavy and somewhat difficult to use...

I really don't want to buy a new Vac ever 3 years so...thought I would ask you all...perhaps BEC makes an improved crossover for them???...[;)]

Really, any help and experiences you care to share would be great...the dust is starting a revolt...

Bill

Bill,

I am with your little brother... Dyson. We went through a bunch of crappy vacs until we got the dyson when it hit the US. We have probalby had it 4-5 years and never a problem. My folks got one and they love it as well. The worst part is the first several times vacuuming when it is sucking dirt out of the carpets that you never knew you had.

FWIW we have hardwood, tile and some area rugs. Pets are one dog and two cats. I have a very rare disease and it causes allergies and asthma. The dyson has been great keeping dust and pet hair under control.

Chris

The dust is revolting... I hate it when that happens... They get to thinkin' about freedom, take a vote, organize into balls, meet with the traitorous cats, hide under the sofa, and before you know it, they get uppity and assault the speakers while demanding independence!!![:|][;)]

Don't laugh.... but we finally got rid of the "rainbow", orecks, etc. Too expensive. Filters are proprietary (=expensive), and the attachments are a pain in the a*s. Just went to Sears and got a big 5HP Craftsman shop vac. It's on wheels and rolls around real nice, has different "sucker" attachments (really big ones...), and is easy to clean. Pop the lid, blow out the filter, and wash out the "bin" once a month or so, etc. Filters are big canister types, but fairly cheap, and can be re-used after blowing out with an air hose. For it's size, it does not weigh that much, and I just keep it in the garage where it doubles for "shop vac" duty. "Sucker Power Factor"?... It will remove the paint on the walls if applied properly.....[H]

Based on reviews and recommendations, we bought the Dyson Animal(?) a couple years ago. It cost about $500 and is heavy and not very easy to use. Although it works very well, I wouldn't buy it again if I had a do-over.

When we bought our new home in July, we were cash poor and went on the cheap. We ended up at Walmart and came away with a $70 Bissell. It works great, it's lightweight, the attachments are easy to use, it's bagless and best of all...........it was only $70!!!

Not too long ago we were in the market for a new vacuum cleaner to replace an old Hoover. Personally, I've been partial to Hoovers, but the last one wasn't so hot. Anyhow, I looked at the latest Consumer Reports testing/rating of vacuum cleaners and based upon their list, we bought this Bissell:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100605028&N=10000003+90023+501430+336

It didn't get the top rating, but was ranked close to the top performers. Interestingly enough, we were leaning towards a Dyson until we saw the CR ratings, the feedback that owners had posted on the CR website and the price compared to other machines that were rated pretty close to the Dyson. In the end it came down to $$$ (well.....that and the fact that the wife like the way it looked Roll-eyes ).

From personal experience, I'd buy the same Bissell in a heart beat. The unit is powerful (maybe not as powerful as my RIGID tools shop vac) and very quiet (unlike my shop vac). Even the dogs ain't skeerd of it. It pulls the dog hair out of the carpet extremely well and does a great job on the hardwood and tile floors. Oh - and it looks nice.

I've attached the latest CR rating in case you're interested.

post-4338-13819417893568_thumb.jpg

Ok, you know you're growing up when you quit discussing stereos and move on to vacuum cleaners!

I got a Hoover Windtunnel Widepath a few years back and am very happy with it.

Powerful 12 amp motor

Top-fill bag is easy to change

HEPA triple filter on the discharge keeps dust from flying around the air

onboard tool kit and easy change to hose/accessory use make it nice for hardwood floors and baseboards

Parts, bags, belts available everywhere.

Reasonable cost- probably less than $200

Only old ladies need self-propelled vacuum cleaners. A real man would never be caught with one.

To be honest we've always gotten with the cheapos really well. I'm only into my second vacuum ever (and the previous one didn't wear out, we broke it ourselves accidentally). $80 at Sears with all the attachments. It's super light with a nice carrying handle. Granted we don't have a herd of dogs or 10 kids, but we do have a pup and a daughter. We're also not the "vacuum every day" kind of people. Once a week is fine. Who has time for anything more?

Anyway...I guess my opinion is if you need your carpet so darn clean that you spend a grand or more on a vacuum then you may have other "issues" to deal with. [H]

• Like 1

I appreciate the responses...I figured I would get none ("Hey...this ain't no vacuum forum!" [;)] )...I am still thinking but there have been many answers here that I agree with based on my own experience...

CP1...I was partial to Hoover but this last Wind Tunnel was not made well...motor worked fine until it gave up the ghost but it was so balky to use and fell over a lot when using the attachements that little plastic pieces broke...didn't make the vac unusable but I had to use more care and duct tape...[:D]

I find out lil brother just loves the Dyson and even uses it to detail the interiors of his cars...I know he is VERY picky so that is a plus...he even talked my sis into buying one and she loves hers...

If I go Dyson, I will stay away from the Ball version as at least at the store, that one seemed balky as well...

Groomlakearea51...thanks for getting my pun...I too have that huge Craftsman shop vac (came in VERY handy at the GF's during the recent Chicago area flooding...)...it is L O U D however...but perhaps I can put on my shooting muffs or maybe Klipsch headphones...

Thanks and keep 'em coming if you got more...Gary, Colter and Tom...I will look into the Bissel and Hoover again...I just HATE going to the store just to look at vacs though...[;)]

Thanks again,

Bill

We have a Bissell Lift Off (not a current model), that allows you to take the power unit off the carpet sweeper base. The Bissell is a series of design gaffes and I dislike it.
The Lift Off feature is good to using as a car vac, but the total package is loaded with frustrations. We just bought a new Shop Vac (near the top of the line) with big manly-sized attachments and I love it. If it had a carpet sweeper I'd probably kick the Bissell to the curb.

We also have a Bissell steamer that works pretty well. I have known people with Rainbows and they are just too expensive for what they do. Oreck is also overpriced and if you want a real hotel sweeper, they can be bought for a lot less. I'm also not real happy that Oreck pulled out of its Long Beach, MS plant.

The sweeper I really want is my grandmother's 1930 Hoover, tank-like build and a headlamp like a lighthouse.

Our old Dirt Devil upright still pulls basement duty and works great after more than 15 years. I bought another at a yard sale for $4 and I use it for vacuuming the upstairs at the new house. Can't be carrying the 5 lb Bissell up all those stairs! Only issue is I have to order my bags from ebay and the shipping costs are as much as the bags themselves sometimes.

My mother-in-law still uses her 50 year old Electrolux canister vacuum. We had one just like it when I was a kid. Built like tanks. I see them quite often at yard sales but lugging those old things around the house is a pain.

Another note regarding the Dyson: It's suction is so strong that you might not want one if you have wall to wall carpet that could possibly pull loose from the edge of your floor or from under your floor molding, leaving you with bumps in your nice carpet. It sucks up all that extra dirt but at what cost?

I've got a Dyson. It is an engineering marvel as far as vacuums go. I mean the way it breaks down into easily usable configurations. It is like a transformer in real life. It sucks dirt pretty good too and you can see when it needs cleaning out. The one downside is the brush. I have a long haired dog. The brush will literally captures and ravels so much hair that it becomes useless and requires cleaning. Other than that I am very happy. I have never used a Bissel vacuum but I have owned 2 of their rug shampooers. They go through drive belts like crazy. I broke the 1st one (turned a knob the wrong way) and then bought a new one. The drive belt failed in its initial outing.

• Moderators

Hey Bill,

I got a Hoover Wind Tunnel-2 last week. I can't speak for it's longevity, but wow, does it get up the dirt. I only have 2 rooms downstairs that are carpeted, and that thing was full after using it once...and yes, I regularly vacuum my carpets! It seemed quite powerful. It was actually pretty gross to think all that dirt was there...

I also used it to vacuum my car. It has a rotating brush as one of the attachments, which worked great. And the tube attachment got up Cheerios, Goldfish, and pretzel bits with little to no effort. [;)]

I had longed for a Dyson, but this was the affordable alternative.

We had a Royal for a long time, they are built like tanks and last a long time but we had trouble with ours picking up dirt after a while. We then went to a wind tunnel and that lasted less than a year, bad design, too many flaws to list. We then went to a Dyson Animal and LOVVVVVVE IT! It does a great job, is relyable, easy to clean out and easy to see when it needs cleaning. It is easy to adjust and configure. We have had it for 3 years now and other than the inside of the dirt canister getting a little hazey due to the large amount of sand picked up (we live in a semi desert) we have had no problems with it at all!

Three years ago I also bought the Dyson DC7 Yellow vaccum. It does a super job picking up dirt, and has great suction. The only down size to me, are the Attachments. They are combursome to get attached ....................just my 2 cents worth.

I got mine at Sears on sale for 350.00 when they were selling else where for 500.00....................

really leaning to one of the Dyson Animal models...possibly the 14 from an online vendor...prices are relatively reasonable (no tax many have free shipping)...the 14 appears to be fine as I don't think I want the "ball" and there have only been minor improvements beyond that...the animal is more expensive but has a couple of attachments that the "all floors" does not (but the animal is more expensive)...nearly twice what I paid for my last Hoover but those that have the Dyson that I know have liked them...hmmmmm...thanks for all the replies...you guys are great!

Bill

We went for the Consumer Reports #1 rated pick - the Sears Kenmore. Had it a couple months and really like it. It's very powerful and much quieter than other vacuums. It is direct drive, so no pesky belts to replace. I also found the bagless vacs to be a huge PITA to empty, after having a Hoover Windtunnel. Seems we always would up with dust/dirt flying all over the place during the emptying process. The Kenmore's bag could not be easier to change.

It is not self-propelled, which at first concerned us, but after using it for a few months, I find it easier to maneuver than the propelled Windtunnel. Plus the shape of the handle makes it easy to grab and hold on to.

We picked ours up for about $250 - it is often on sale.