Which Blu Ray and Why?

vandec54

I am in the market for a BlueRay player and need to know what brand and model # I should get and why. I would like to spend $300 or less, but could easily be convinced to spend up to $400 if there is a big difference in performance. As always thank you for your response.

• Moderators

I just bought an 80 gig PS3 from jbsl in the forums. I chose it due to the fact that I can use it as my blu-ray player, media storage device and play video games on it. It's the best bang for your buck. New, it's going to run you $400.00 so that is on the high side of your budget. You can easily get most stand alone players for $300 or less. This is my first blu player so I cannot speak from experience, just from what I have read about others that have the PS3. It supports the new HD audio codecs and has network capabilities for firmware updates. Seems like the best value to me.

I am in the market for a BlueRay player and need to know what brand and model # I should get and why. I would like to spend $300 or less, but could easily be convinced to spend up to $400 if there is a big difference in performance. As always thank you for your response.

Sony PS3. Why? It is future compatible to any Blu-Ray firmware updates...It decodes all the latest High Definition sound formats so if you have a receiver that accepts PCM over HDMI you don't need to upgrade your receiver to take advantage of them...Incredibly fast load times...Does an amazing job of upscaling standard DVDs.

Even if you never, ever even think about playing anything resembling a video game on a PS3 its Blu-Ray capabilities make it the player to get.

I don't know the best player but......I'm surfing the internet now on my new 80gb ps3 right now,it's got built in wireless.I also can stream audio and video and pull up pictures from my network,all stuff I didn't know it could even do.Big + for ps3.

Here you go.........Wal-Mart.

Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray Disc Player

$198.00

function getCustomerInfo(ck,pth,dmn,delm){
var custCk = getCookie(ck);
if (null != custCk && 0

WMCC_G.gif

[First name], you're pre-approved:

No interest on orders over $250 if paid in 12 months.*

* Minimum payments required.

No interest on orders over $250 if paid in 12 months.*

Use your card today!

* Minimum payments required.

it's not all there yet...downsized like what was being threatened by the Village I work for...after yesterday's budget meeting, I get to keep my job and no big cuts for me but no raise...I can live with that...little brother is enjoying my previous Home Theater...mine is going to be an Outlaw 1050 receiver and Klipsch KG 5.5s for mains (dig deep basswise)...I never sold the KSP-S6s so I can use those if I decide...little brother had no use for a KLF-C7 (too big for his cabinet) so I can get that...thinking of a sub but on a budget...

...but too your question...in 2 channel running the KG 5.5s and a Nakamichi TA/2A (with the DVD set to Dolby Digital 5.1) Iron Man sounded great...made me think perhaps I don't need a sub...I was surprised...

Bill

I bought the sony BDP-S350. I paid 296 at Walmart. The only reason I didn't get PS3 is because I don't really play video games. Plus the sony was about 100 bucks cheaaper. I have only one complaint about the player. And that's that the remote doesn't light up. Here's a CNET review. It's a video.....

http://reviews.cnet.com/video-players-and-recorders/sony-bdp-s350/4505-6463_7-32868775.html?autoplay=true&tag=mncol;lst

Some of the models offer SD card inputs. Some offer 7.1. Some offer DVIX. Some offer SACD. Some offer huge video 24bit 297 DACs.

Some offer MP3. Some offer network inputs. Some offer DVD-RAM. Some offer BD-DL. All of them seem to be black.

JJK

If you want a stand alone Blu-ray player and not a game console, the best right now is the Panasonic DMP-BD55K.

I would highly recommend this player for its high quality and having all the latest HD audio codecs. Do a little research into this model and you will find why it is currently the best player.

Rich_Guy,

What are you doing with a $350 blu-ray player [;)] I know, great value proposition.

You are right though. For that price you get a great player (just got mine last week).

It has:

Fast loading, SD card, Ethernet, great upscaling, and EXCELLENT sound. But best of all, it has internal decoding for all the new formats. If you have a higher end stereo with a pre-amp or a high end processor that you would not like to have to replace, it is the player to have.

Since Blu-ray spec includes PCM (stereo) and it supports TrueHD and DTS Master, anyone with even a fairly new high end processor can enjoy those options without having to replace their system or buy a receiver with with the proper HDMI/codec support. Even better is the sound quality for stereo use on high end stero systems.

I bought the sony BDP-S350. I paid 296 at Walmart. The only reason I didn't get PS3 is because I don't really play video games.

A PS3 will function perfectly fine as a Blu-Ray player even if a video game never gets played on it. Like I mentioned above, a PS3 has many, many features that makes getting it for a Blu-Ray player pretty much a no-brainer.

I seriously looked at the PS3. I read quite a few reviews of it, and did my research. I admit, there was only one complaint about it, but almost everyone's review had the same one. That the fan noise was very excessive. One of the reviews read," if you are serious about sound, or have any serious money in your system, don't go with the PS3 due to fan noise issues". I'm not jocking the PS3 or anything, but I didn't want to buy it if it was loud, and I wasn't ever going to play any games on it. I'm perfectly happy with the one I got! either way, they're both Sony's, which says something good about the company!