Reel 2 Reel--Am I losing it?

kevinmi

Ever since I dismantled my multi-channel system and went back to 2 channel, weird things have been happening. First off, I drug my turntable out of the attic and hooked it up. Then I started buying albums. The voices in my head started telling me that analog IS good, despite the many years of upgrading to digital and accumulating several hundred CD's, DVD's, and the players to handle the playback.

So, while innocently browsing e-Pay for a deal too good to pass up, I run across a reel to reel deck ad obvoiusly misplaced in this digital domain that I'm browsing. The voices chime in-- buy it, buy it NOW! So to make a long story longer, I bought a reel to reel tape deck. Now I'm going to have to buy tapes, reels, head cleaners and de-magnetizers. Isn't this the stuff that CD's saved us from in the first place? The thought of convenient music on a little disc was far superior to all that cumbersome handling of albums and tapes, with all the "messy" cleaning that goes along with it.

So, why am I de-evolving and going back in techno-time? Is this an isolated incident or are there other people suffering the same fate as me?

Does anyone have a good source for tapes and such for a reel to reel?

Gotta run, I just remembered I have a cassette deck in the attic somewhere!

As my sig says, "If it sounds good, it IS good." I still have an R2R in my system, but mainly for very occasional demo use and transfering my existing collection or the rare acquisition. I transfer it all to 1 bit, 2.8 mhz digital which, to my ears, is lossless and far more convenient.

If you are smitten and really want to part with your treasure, visit The Tape Project and see how nutty (and poor) you can get...

Dave

You might want to touch base with BEC (Bob Crites) here on the forum.

He's been doing a project of cleaning up and restoring old tapes.

I didn't get much info about it but it may be a way to save a few bucks on good tape and reels.

I use mine to put some old vinyl on so I can listen to a couple of hours of music I can't get on CD.

With good tape the sq is amazing. It makes me wonder why I went digital at all.

And yes, it's weird using the remote control with a 15' cord attached.

Having a Turntable on top of my rack gets a lot of questions from locals that have never laid eyes on a turntable except for garage sale or thrift store. Then when I show off the reel to reel with cord remote, fire up the tubes with the lights dimmed, they think I've been time warped to the stone age of audio.

Hit the play button and the sweet tubes and analog dispersed through the room you've made a convert that will start nailing cd's on the wall for looks.

Yes, good analog is addicting and easy to obtain.

Expensive? I don't have any hobbies that aren't expensive. Fishing, Golf, guns, books, old military memorabilia, etc. I've been watching Orange County Chopper again and stopped at Indy V Twin yesterday to look at chopper frames. About 2 grand for a decent frame. I got a general idea for the build and $25,000 grand would probably get it rolling down the street on it's own power. $35,000 would probably be a target dollar amount when finished.

Hobbies? yea right.

Harry

Bob also has the NAB hubs. Best source for new type 456 or 499 tape is: http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/rmsm1x25pain.html They also have metal reels and, interestingly, some plastic 10.5" reels that don't require NAB hubs (very convenient for initial recording, long term storage, etc.).

R2R's are a great conversation piece and they complement a "vintage" system. I have a mint Revox B-77 in the man cave and while I don't use it that much, it's fun to play with!!!

Thanks for all the info guys! I knew that there had to be more analog junkies out there! BTW, the deck I bought is a TEAC X1000R with DBX niose reduction. Is this noise reduction system worth using or should I record without it. I'll be transferring LP's onto tape mostly, with a few greatest hits tapes made from CD's. Thanks, Kevin

DBX is a totally benign noise reduction system that provides a dynamic range for R2R nearly as good as digital while providing no other audible side effects. I started using it in 1976 and tapes I made with it then are still dead silent and gorgeous.

All it does is a 2:1 compression incoming and a 1:2 expansion outgoing.

Dave

Dave, you got any DBX encoded vinyl? You think the input selector is set wrong so you turn up the gain and get blown out of the room.

Dolby SR was better for studios, but the 2:1-1:2 scheme had it all over Dolby B for home use.

Bruce

You guys are all ahead of me, but I have a Revox A-77 I bought in Hong Kong in 1971 when I was in the service. Do you know of any repair/tune-up places in the Orlando FL area, or I might even send off. However, unless I read the ad wrong on the Tape Project, they wanted $675 just to tune a deck. Mine needs a capstan (spelling) motor. Plus it has been sitting for 32 years.

Thanks

I had an Akai GX747 and amongst other things that I've given away, I absolutely miss it the most. If my ole pal that I gave it to (and hand delivered it 5 hour drive away) said he didn't want it anymore and did I want it back... I'd probably drive up to Cincinnati the next day to retrieve it.

Kevin -

I did something similar - always wanted a Pioneer RT-707 reel to reel, couldn't afford them as a kid, saw a super clean one on eBay from a recognized seller and BANG - I had to have it. I love the damn thing, wish I woulda bought one sooner.

Here's a couple links for tapes - I've used pro northwest.

http://www.protapenw.com/acatalog/Open_reel_audio_tape.html

http://www.tapestockonline.com/reeltoreel.html

Picked up a CTF-1250 cassette as well. The think the old stuff is more "engaging" than the current equipment

• Like 1