Jubilee audition- that's what I'm talking about

hobie1dog

Got up and hit the road at 5:30 AM to drive the 4+ hours to Coytee's house in Tennessee..amazingly found his place which is back where the hoot owls f#^k the chickens.[:D]

I started off playing a synthesizer based song which has alot of deep bass drops, which I'm sure made him think, " What the hell is playing on my speakers", but I kept the volume in reserve as I was afraid of going too far with someone elses stereo. Low frequency extension was impressive to say the least. The second song is an Large scale Symphonic Band song- "Trittico" by Frederick Fennell with the Cleveland Symphonic Winds on the Telarc label. It has a large bass drum they haul off and wallop- it is tuned to 27hz...I use this to test the dynamic capabilities of speakers. I could tell these speakers had the potential to meet my dynamic needs in a speaker, which is not easily met, as I like it LOUD and CLEAN. Other selections which were more delicate had me make the comment that they were very much like my Martin Logan ReQuest models in the 2k hz on up range without the beaming I suffered with them in my former room.

We had some competition from the guys out on the new deck that was being built as they were hammering away and dropping boards.[:@]

Then the gains were turned up on the amp and he put on the Gordon Goodwin Big Phat Big Band CD and he grabbed the volume control and CRANKED THE BEJEEESUS out of these babies.....MAN O MAN ....now that's what I'm talking about, the whole 16-piece BIG BAND suddenly was in the room with us and the bottom end also sounded like he added (4) 15" drivers to the system. Felt like you were leaning up against the drummers kick drum. After playing in Big Bands for years, this was one of the few home speaker systems I've heard that has that dynamic power. The sleeping giant was now awake, and I found out that I only had the volume about 3/4 of what it should have been on my previous selections. After that first song, I said " That was worth the 4 hour drive right there".

One could only imagine these things in a dedicated room in a basement with concrete walls all around you...one of these days....[:)] And they passed the "Terminator" track test on the Telarc disc which usually always makes the drivers bottom out on the final explosion. The amazing part of the bass is how dag gone tight it is, I've never heard a horn based sub have this tight of bass, which to me supasses all the sealed designs I've heard in the past, and it flat out is in another league over the ported designs out there. One track he played had a kick drum slap in it that was just startling. For no bigger footprint these bass bins take up, it would be hard to surpass the output in a home setting with another type of cabinet design.

Overall, there was a very even sound, with no "horn in your face" characteristics. We discussed that it would be fun to have these behind a screen so that all the "audiophiles" couldn't tell what they were listening to, and tell them that they were listening to a new slender tower speaker to hear their comments.

Everyone should listen to these before they criticize horn speakers.

Thanks again to Coytee for his generous offer to come up and listen to them and to take up a whole Saturday for my audition. He also has good taste in Mexican food too that he provided as well. [:D]

Now, if I can just end up with 4 of these in a listening room one day.[Y]

Sometime it's a good thing to follow the "heard." Huh?

I just woke my wife up and she said in a sleepy voice..."what are you laughing at?"... then of course, she went back to sleep and I didn't have to explain.

Had a very nice and very enjoyable visit with Marty yesterday. Unbeknown to myself, the guys that are working (we're adding a bit onto the house) decided to work and it crossed my mind on more than one occasion to ask them to leave. If for no other reason than they can bang & schlep around when I'm gone to work, they don't have to ruin my weekends as well as Marty's visit.

He brought some cool tracks. I guess one of them was the T-Rex scene (I think?). I don't think I'd ever heard a T-Rex in real life before, give a belch like this one did!. When he told me about the track that bottomed out most speaker systems he'd heard, I was secretly awaiting its audition as I figured if anything could handle it, these could. I'll admit it was a bit anti-climatic when it was over, because of course, they handled it with aplomb.

I won't make comments on what we heard because you all know I've had the coolaid and you know what I think. But if Craig insists and asks me, maybe I'll acquiesce [A].

I will mention though...time sure flies when you're having a good time. About the time he said it was about time for him to go, I realized I was hungry and he might be too. I might want to first preface that he arrived right around 10:00 AM. I figured it was lunchtime or maybe 1:30... low & behold it was actually 4:00 and we'd pretty much gone non-stop. Part of it was simply carrying on like two teenage girls on their cellphones as we got to know one another. Then as the music started, I kept wondering what (if anything) might I have that he might like to hear AND would showcase the traits he's looking for. In the end, I think I hit on two selections.... Blue Man Group (dvd) and Gordon Goodwin, Big Phat Band.

Well... he said it was about time to hit the road, I thought it was 'lunch' as I was hungry. Turns out it was 4:00 [:|]. We took off towards town in the direction of I-75. (about 15 miles from my house) and we went to a mexican place to eat. One of those, if you don't look at the right moment or know it's there, you just might miss it, kind of places. How long does it take to eat? 30 minutes? 45 minutes?

As he said again "well, I need to hit the road" and I got into my car, it was right around 6:30 so we'd spent almost another 2 1/2 hours yacking about this & that.

In my experience, when time flies like that and you've got no idea of its passing, you are clearly enjoying your time with your company. (good for me that our 8 1/2 hours together felt like 45 minutes, and too bad for HIM that our 8 1/2 hours together must have felt like 3 months.... [6])

He finally escaped and seems, made his trek home safely.

Marty, it was a great time. I wasn't as far into the doghouse as I had feared!

[&]

Glad you enjoyed them. I still have not heard a pair.

Every time I go to a concert I think about the forum member that has a pair of Jubilees made out of marine wood outdoors at his bar and I wish that the venue had Jubilees for their sound system because the sounds always stinks (except for the James Taylor concert, they did it right).

Klipsch needs to market these speakers to venues who can then advertise that they use use "Klipsch Heritage Audiophile Sound." It can become a draw to the venue. All you need to do is to tell the people in advance they they will be able to hear the music and instruments very well and they should notice.

We had a party at my house a few months ago and everyone wanted to dance at one point so we cranked the system. The next day when I said that I usually don't turn it up like that my wife said that it wasn't that loud. Well, it was, she just did not realize it because you could hear every note and word. Everyone is so used to distorted haze equating to volume. Let the crowd know in advance what they will hear and what to look for and they will be impressed. There are many musicians who will jump on the bandwagon (pun intended) like Neil Young, Maynard Keenan, Jack Johnson, Nora Jones, etc. who all put out well recorded material. It would definately make an article in Rolling Stone.

My 2 cents.

• Moderators

Very nice review, although not surprised at the results, It's nice to hear someone who has not heard them try to explain the sound ! [Y]

All people need is a chance to hear what they can do, Thanks Coytee.

I wonder what the guys working thought of the sound, I know they heard it because your not afraid of a little volume ?

• Moderators

I hope I can get mine fine-tuned like that one day. They're not even hooked up. Sad

Thanks for the review- I've got to get down there one day. I'm sure Richard knows how to run a demo, and the food's always top notch when he's around!

M

You have more patience than me !

I know they heard it because your not afraid of a little volume ?

I took the dogs out for a walk to relieve themselves (all 5 of them at a time on leashes [&][&][&][Z] [&][&])... the guys had their truck door open and the truck radio playing... I put on an "angry" voice and told them their music was simply up WAY too loud... the guy just laughed and DID ask what we were doing in there and that it sounded da** good.

As for a 'little' volume...heh heh heh.... this wasn't all day but imagine two Crown K2's, gains maxed and your chest being caved in from the impact of the initital transient of a drum kick... it was a beautiful thing...[8]

As for a 'little' volume...heh heh heh.... this wasn't all day but imagine two Crown K2's, gains maxed and your chest being caved in from the impact of the initital transient of a drum kick... it was a beautiful thing...Music

I was just telling my son ( who if you don't know, designs and sells his own brand of subwoofers with the utmost accuracy and tight bass out there) that I may have found a new " standard " for tightness of bass. That one kick drum hit I'll remember the rest of my life.[Y] Whoever said that horn loaded bass cabinets produce "boomy PA bass" was full of sh#t.

• Moderators

" As for a 'little' volume...heh heh heh.... this wasn't all day but imagine two Crown K2's, gains maxed and your chest being caved in from the impact of the initital transient of a drum kick... it was a beautiful thing...Music "

That is very loud considering how efficient Jubilee's are. [:|]

>The amazing part of the bass is how dag gone tight it is, I've never heard a horn based sub have this tight of bass,...

???? Must be some sort of conversion experience. Us lifetime hornheads have precisely the opposite opinion. I've never heard a sealed sub that didn't go "MUSHmushamushamushMUSHmushamushamusha"

Dave

"this wasn't all day but imagine two Crown K2's, gains maxed and your
chest being caved in from the impact of the initital transient of a
drum kick"

ooooooOOO [:o]OOOo so that's what I heard the other afternoon. I thought it was another tremor.

I just picked up a second K2 [:o] [:P]so I'm right behind ya Richard.

>The amazing part of the bass is how dag gone tight it is, I've never heard a horn based sub have this tight of bass,...

???? Must be some sort of conversion experience. Us lifetime hornheads have precisely the opposite opinion. I've never heard a sealed sub that didn't go "MUSHmushamushamushMUSHmushamushamusha"

Just to clarify... Marty is talking about the Jubilee bass bin and not any horn loaded subwoofers. I don't have any. It's simple semantics and his impressions are just as valid but he should have said Jubilee bass bin instead of horn based sub... and Dave of course, would have still perhaps responded with "MUSHmushamushamushMUSHmushamushamusha"!!

[:D]

• Moderators

What part of TN?

Technically, I am in Greenback but since this is where hoot owls **** chickens, I simply stick with saying "Knoxville" Wink

What a coincidence, you live in Greenback and what kind of work do you do ? [:D]