A New Addition to the Equipment Rack...

picky

It just arrived Wednesday and I installed it in our rack Thursday after work: Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Blu-Ray Disc Player.

Even with only component video outputs connected (due to a lack of HDMI compliance on our receiver and projector) the resultant 1080i image seems to best what we've gotten from even our best-produced SD DVDs whether playing the DVDs in the new player or our older Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai which I have retained in the rack to play our collection of DVD-Audio and SACD discs. Our reciever also lacks compliance with the new HD sound codecs as well, so the sound is comparable to what we've grown to enjoy in the past. THX Ultra-2, Dolby Digital 7.1 and DTS-ES will have to suffice for now, which are not so hard to take.

It will be several years before we'll find ourselves in the position to consider replacement of our Pioneer Elite VSX-49 TXi Flagship receiver and our Sharp XV-9000-U DLP projector. In the interim, we'll enjoy the marked improvements we now see in addition to the near-perfect image we get from our Panasonic 50-in. 1080p Plasma in our living room which is connected to an entry-level Sony Blu-Ray player. I will write more about our experiences with the new player after we've had some time to do some viewing. We're mighty busy preparing for the upcoming holidays. -Glenn

post-10177-13819427800656_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Congratulations, it's a shame that things evolve so fast and not alot of effort goes into trying to make things as compatible as possible. Whats going to be the next HDMI type connection or format to make everyone outdated even you buy everything new today, there will be something ? At these prices equipment should not be disposable, but is you want to try the newest technology you have to play the game. [:(]

Our TV has one HDMI connection but the receiver does not, so I would have to buy a new receiver also, then the TV is only 1080i. [:S]

Congratulations, it's a shame that things evolve so fast and not alot of effort goes into trying to make things as compatible as possible. Whats going to be the next HDMI type connection or format to make everyone outdated even you buy everything new today, there will be something ? At these prices equipment should not be disposable, but is you want to try the newest technology you have to play the game. Sad

dtel - so true - it is so unfair. I envy those people that are happy with a $1000 all in one complete HT system.

Way cool, Congrats! There is little difference in Component and HDMI or so I was told by a local HT seller/store. They said that if you changed between HDMI and Component while everyone was watching you MIGHT see a little better picture with digital BUT if everyone went out of the room, say to go to the bathroom, and you changed the signal while they were gone, no one would EVER be able to tell. I think I will take them at their word as that is about what I see when I switch between them at home. The biggest problem is when you try to connect a new piece of equipment into your system and the two devices NEED to handshake for COPY PROTECTION issues, the Component can't handshake thus the signal is sent degraded through the component cables from the player to the display.

480i or 480 vs 1080p I agree a HUGE jump. Be aware most big box stores pushing the standard 480i or 480p VS blue ray at 1080p you should see a difference for sure! That is a no brainer... Especially when the screen size gets over 55 inches.

That said... "dialed in" 720p or 1080i vs 1080p I agree is so close, you could argue the fine points and justify it is not a HUGE leep....maybe. And I say "maybe" because it differs with projector.. your room, and other equipment too. I have a neighbor with the 20k 1080p Runco... He has a perf screen and to be honest it looks .. well like crap!.

I am not just saying this because my Infocus 7210 projector will accept up to 1080i, but it is my understanding what your really should be looking and running at, are the "native resolution" stats, which in my case is 720p for my Infocus. So better to send at 720p is the "recommended" thing to do on many forums that way it is not re mathematically changing it. Daymon and I went through this a half dozen times or more when I first set mine up! LOL

Cable TV with Comcast in my house will send HD in 1080i when availiable... I go back n forth on what you should stay at. 720p and 1080i both look fantastic from time to time. Once in a while 1080i def looks better... I have left it on for weeks at 720p and 1080i not noticing much difference, if any?

I chatted with Picky, and he and I agree on this as well, the combination of components and your screen size, room size, and environment make a much bigger impact than any specs you just read. I second that with him saying it is an "art" to put together a system and you also need a little luck too it all works together too. So the science poured into all this great technology is worth nothing, if it does not all work together...AND works in your room too!

Congrats Picky... Looks like u have a winner there too!

Sound and Vision mag tested that player, and it doesn't have on board DTS HD master.........

I'm a bit confused as both the back of the brochure (page two) which I posted in my second post and the owner's manual list DTS-HD Master Audio decoding built in. Sorry, if I may have misunderstood you Tommy.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! Just about everything expressed by Roger (IndyKlipschFan) in his post says about what I would here. As he'd said, we did talk about the component versus HDMI connection for a while on the phone and in person earlier this year.

I would be the first to admit that in my own experience: A 1080p display with a 50 inch (or larger) screen viewed from a distance of 12 feet should be expected to have a superior picture when the output is 1080p via HDMI input versus 1080i/720p via component video input. The component video will be very good, but not quite as good as the HDMI. But, it has also been my experience that with 1080i/720p displays of the same size and viewing distance, showing a Blu-Ray image via component video is going to look sharper than a standard definition DVD via the same component video cable. Neither will be as good as the Blu-Ray output 1080p/HDMI combo on a 1080p display. The screen size and viewing distance are huge factors. Screens until 50 inches seem to be (for the most part) able to get away nicely with 720p resolution regardless of the input source. -Glenn

But, it has also been my experience that with 1080i/720p displays of the same size and viewing distance, showing a Blu-Ray image via component video is going to look sharper than a standard definition DVD via the same component video cable.

That makes sense. There is more data on the Blu-Ray disc than the DVD.

Sound and Vision mag tested that player, and it doesn't have on board DTS HD master.........

I'm a bit confused as both the back of the brochure (page two) which I posted in my second post and the owner's manual list DTS-HD Master Audio decoding built in. Sorry, if I may have misunderstood you Tommy.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! Just about everything expressed by Roger (IndyKlipschFan) in his post says about what I would here. As he'd said, we did talk about the component versus HDMI connection for a while on the phone and in person earlier this year.

I would be the first to admit that in my own experience: A 1080p display with a 50 inch (or larger) screen viewed from a distance of 12 feet should be expected to have a superior picture when the output is 1080p via HDMI input versus 1080i/720p via component video input. The component video will be very good, but not quite as good as the HDMI. But, it has also been my experience that with 1080i/720p displays of the same size and viewing distance, showing a Blu-Ray image via component video is going to look sharper than a standard definition DVD via the same component video cable. Neither will be as good as the Blu-Ray output 1080p/HDMI combo on a 1080p display. The screen size and viewing distance are huge factors. Screens until 50 inches seem to be (for the most part) able to get away nicely with 720p resolution regardless of the input source. -Glenn

Interesting. I wonder why they said that? That was the only weakness they put down. Everything else was strengths? I waas thinking how could it be an Elite if it didn't have it? Maybe the "experrts" were wrong! And to think, they get paid to do this stuff???? No wonder our economy is the way it is right now