NO COMPROMISING!

Danely15

If it took you two this long to get to this point (four years)............................

Lets see.

1. This is your place.

2. She has only recently moved in with you.

3. It's your TV/HT

4. Its your sound system.

5. Are you buying the couch/recliner? (or is she?)

6. thru 1,000,000+ It's not going to change for the better. Whatever you see now, you will get more of as time goes on.

That being said, if you can fit a five recliner in there, why not go for both a recliner (or two) along with a couch or sectional? If she wants to lay down and watch TV or listen she's obviously not terribly critical of either.

post-10840-1381942834079_thumb.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This truly is a portent of things to come.......Luckly I have a large house and a separate room for HT (the wifes) and my room for 2 channel ....our deal is she gets the whole rest of the house but she can't say a word about the living room.......even if I wanted to stack 3 pairs of jubs in there, she can't say boo.....

you have to pick and choose your battles

Here's my philosophy. As long as she lets you have all the audio gear you want, then you have to give a little too. Our living room is only 13*16, and I have all the gear listed below in it. so when it came time for a new couch, I let her pick it out. And, I'm divrced, and have lived with my current gf for 7 months now.......... let her do the furniture as long as it doesn't interfere with your system, or speaker setup.......

I've got one of those couch-sized love seats with two wide sections that both recline, so I can relax and listen with my feet up or lie down to listen or watch TV. I wouldn't want to be unable to nap on the sofa. As well, there's a wide recliner to one side.

Those theatre seats are great if you have a dedicated home theatre room, but for a multi-use living room, the reclining loveseat is a better bet. For one thing, your GF can snuggle up beside you, which you can't do with those armrests between every seat.

I leave a firm cushion in the middle to serve as an armrest when I'm sitting alone, so for me at least, the setup is ideal.

LOL! Michael kills me, Yea but WWYD?

Anyhoo, we just put a flat screen in the living room for the wifey, she could care LESS about sound...it was killing me but she has a nioce sofe and her 46" LCD.

Our family room inhereted my RF-7's RC'7, RF 3's, subs, my RX-Z1, AMP 5 channel amp, and Denon 2900.. We have three 2 person reclining love seats with 2 wedges that form a HUGE "U"shape seating area. This will be our/kids theater. Their now 9 and 7, so they'll grow into it.

Both of those areas had to survive WAF. I gave on the seating, and she gave on the speakers in the family room.

Now I'm finishing out the basement...NO WAF....THAT WAS THE DEALEO!

So, if you're going to keep her around, (I'm constantly amazed that a woman has an interest in me) might as well learn the WAF!

The major problem with WAF (like all things feminine) is that they are dynamic and not static, changing from mood to mood, and situation to situation!!

All the rest of my "gear" came with a manuel !!!!! [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Hmmmmm.......I wonder what HER side of the story is on this????? Be that as it may...........

Seems kinda odd that two folks that have known each other for 4 years would have an issue like this. Be that as it may........

Me?? Well in the dedicated HT room I had, I went with a double reclining HT love seat (in leather) along with a second row of 3 individual reclining HT seats. I never felt that not being in front row center was an issue. I also like the fact that when watching a movie alone I could either sit straight up or sprawl out. And then there were times when it lived up to its moniker of (making) love seat. [6] [6] [6] Be that as it may............

I say go get what you want and have it delivered. You know what they say.......

It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Tom

When you lie down in the media room, you're usually severly blocking one ear, therefore defeating the purpose of the surround system. And the TV is sideways- WTF?

If you want to lie down, go to the bedroom. Listening rooms are for listening. (this proclamation will be followed by the tossing of pillows)

I would follow up by saying that my Coaster recliners are two positions only, and the electric motor-driven models offer much more comfort (witness my sleeping spells at Roger's). Maybe go try out some different seating options- the loveseat reclining thingie is a super good idea. Do you really need FIVE?

How about a L shaped sectional dealie with a recliner at one end for the King and a cat napping area for the Queen of the castle?

And remember: if God had wanted us to hear Quadraphonic he would have given us FOUR EARS.

(last one attributed to Claude Nobs)

Oh yeah, one other thing, When you drive, your life is in your feets hands (Frank Zappa)

You are only 26. You are young and the audio and HT hobby lives long. The whole situation is temporary. You will have another house within a couple of years. Let her have the couch by all means. When you buy your next house MAKE SURE it has a dedicated area where she stakes no claim. Be it the basement, a room in the upstairs, whatever. Just MAKE SURE the NEXT time you get a dedicated space you can call your own for the hobby. Then these issues go away. For now.......let her have her way. Why fight..........it's the holidays.

I've only had one house that I was able to have a dedicated room in. (military and I move a lot) But it was the perfect setup. that was MY room. No if, and or buts about it. No matter what I did in there only had to be ok'd by me. She, my x wife, had her own little living room that once again, only SHE had to ok stuff for. So I had my system, and a couch in a dedicated room. and she ended up with the two recliners, and a 21' tv. I think I took the better on that deal.............

I've only had one house that I was able to have a dedicated room in. (military and I move a lot) But it was the perfect setup. that was MY room. No if, and or buts about it. No matter what I did in there only had to be ok'd by me. She, my x wife, had her own little living room that once again, only SHE had to ok stuff for. So I had my system, and a couch in a dedicated room. and she ended up with the two recliners, and a 21' tv. I think I took the better on that deal.............

Hmmm, really helps to build a good relationship. Is that why she is an ex?

If there are five seats, then you can always have the center one and be in the sweet spot. Or you can just have three seats...

My opinion..... It has nothing to do with the seating. It is a control issue. She understands how important it is to you and wants to know if she is more important to you than your choice of seating. My suggestion... Try to defuse it. Try to shift her ploy to something else like bed sheets or some such thing. Tell her you insist on Nascar racing sheets. The seating issue: No problem sweetheart, it is not up for discussion. I decided how to do that when I bought the home long before you were in the picture. But you can have the sheets you like, dear.