Thank you, American soldiers. . . .

bhendrix

True Story.... (initially reported as true)

Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization
that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that
it was there long before they were. A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke
AFB deserves a big pat on the back. Apparently, an individual who lives
somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of
F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall.

When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it must Have
stung quite a bit.

The complaint:
'Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base:

Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11
A.M, a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead
Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our
good fortune! Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or
were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special?

Any response would be appreciated.

The response:

Regarding 'A wake-up call from Luke's jets' On June 15, at
precisely 9:12a.m., a perfectly timed four- ship fly by of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter
Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt. Jeremy
Fresques. Capt Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously
stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial
Day.

At 9 a. m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial
Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend. Based on
the letter writer's recount of the fly by, and because of the jet noise,
I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words
to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on
behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and
servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured..

A four-ship fly by is a display of respect the Air Force gives to those who
give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and
take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was
four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, 'Whom do we thank for the morning air show? The
56th Fighter Wing will make the call for you, and forward your thanks to the
widow and parents of Capt Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in
their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and
the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr.

USAF

Bill,

That was an excellent repsonse.

I just had a two day visit from an old friend of mine, who works at the U.S. Army Military Heritage Museum in Carlisle, PA. They recently finished a replica of a Vietnam War era camp, full scale, outdoors. At the ribbon cutting, were Joseph Galloway, the reporter who was with Gen. Hal Moore during one of the more famous battles of the Vietnam War. Bill Beck, Russell Adams and many others were in attendance. If you have never seen "We were soldiers once", it is a must see. The book, by Moore and Galloway, was translated into Vietnamese, and was such an honest enough writing that many of our vets were allowed to return in 1993 to revisit some of the battle sites and meet with surviving 'enemy'.

I am thankful that the people of our nation have, for the most part, come to realize we can honor the men and women who serve, whether we like a particular war or not.

Bruce

I am thankful that the people of our nation have, for the most part, come to realize we can honor the men and women who serve, whether we like a particular war or not.

Bruce

...Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and
the American Soldier.

USAF

I agree completely with Marvel's statement above, but I think the Lieutenant Colonel got a little presumptuous with his chastising of the complainants in the community in regard to their soul...

Well as a 20 year vet, I am happy to see that my efforts, during my service to this country were not in vein.....if all select americans have to complain about is being woken up at 9:15 by freindly forces then the mission was accomplished.

But alas..the mission continues for others...and certainly it's with our deepest regrets that all our brothers did not come home.

RIP

I'm a bit of a pacifist and think that when it comes to foreign policies, most politicians from most countries are screw-ups, or there wouldn't be so many wars. However, I also believe that anyone who's willing to put himself in harm's way for his country, whatever country it is, is a patriot by definition and deserves respect.

That goes double for the unfortunate soldiers, aircrew, marines and the rest who don't make it back alive.

I have a theory that there would be very few wars if they were fought face-to-face, one-on-one, by the leaders who are so willing to send their young people to their deaths.

Of course that might mean it would come down to a fight for world domination between Arnold S. and Jesse Ventura...

• Moderators

Yes, that is a great sorry...

Also thanks to all who ever served.... Yes

James

I agree, people don't have a clue, or don't want to think about how things could be without all the brave Solders that have stood up for them.

Although I would hope if the person who wrote that letter would have a different opinion if thew knew what it was for as they flew over, I would hope.

I went to the U.S. Air Force Academy with Jeremy, he was a Senior when I was a Freshman and we were in the same squadron. He "trained" us as Freshman, and although we were the underclassmen, he was always fair with us. He was a truly great person, and all of my classmates (as well as others in the squadron) looked up to him. When he died a couple years back, we were truly sad. I really wish people would think about someone other than themselves, that letter is no different than many opinions I've seen, time and time again... Freedom is never free, of course.

the American Soldier.

USAF
I think the Lieutenant Colonel got a little presumptuous with his chastising of the complainants in the community in regard to their soul...

I don't and not in the least. It happens to be what this country was founded on. The right to serve Jesus Christ our savior freely. It's just got all mixed up over the years.

I went to the U.S. Air Force Academy with Jeremy, he was a Senior when I was a Freshman and we were in the same squadron. He "trained" us as Freshman, and although we were the underclassmen, he was always fair with us. He was a truly great person, and all of my classmates (as well as others in the squadron) looked up to him. When he died a couple years back, we were truly sad. I really wish people would think about someone other than themselves, that letter is no different than many opinions I've seen, time and time again... Freedom is never free, of course.

That makes it extra sad having pesonally known him. How must the family feel?. He died a hero. I guess that's something they'll be proud of forever...

I don't and not in the least. It happens to be what this country was founded on. The right to serve Jesus Christ our savior freely. It's just got all mixed up over the years.

It depends on where you stand spiritually on who is to blames on getting it mixed up over the years. [:#] I respect your right to serve any spiritual leader/God that you wish as long as it doesn't tread on my rights. ;-)

I agree, people don't have a clue, or don't want to think about how things could be without all the brave Solders that have stood up for them.

Although I would hope if the person who wrote that letter would have a different opinion if thew knew what it was for as they flew over, I would hope.

I can only imagine that the person who wrote that letter has a completely different opinion and is embarrassed...Then again, if the AFB had a history of low level flyovers that appeared to be for no reason, then one can understand some in the community for not realizing the somber situation. [^o)]

Bruce

the American Soldier.

USAF

I agree completely with Marvel's statement above, but I think the Lieutenant Colonel got a little presumptuous with his chastising of the complainants in the community in regard to their soul...

The original post was a bit embelished. From Snope.com, the actual reply was a bit more subdued.

post-16829-1381943684706_thumb.jpg

The original post was a bit embelished. From Snope.com, the actual reply was a bit more subdued.

Thanks for the detective work jacksonbart. The original post didn't sound like it came from the military and I am appalled that someone would use Capt. Fresques' death as propaganda. [bs]

EDIT: WOW! [:o] Here is the link from Snopes.com: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp