current CD player choices

winchester21

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for repeating a worn out subject but I need a few current opinions based on today's market. I did a search but did not see exactly what I was wanting to ask.I just bought a pair of Cornwalls and a mac 2105 amp from another member. My CD player is a worn out Adcom 700 and I think it is ready for the trash can. In the 500-1000 dollar range what's the hot ticket? Many thanks in advance

The days of high dollar CD players being a sensible purchase are over. Spend the $850 you'll save on a good snowblower and keep yourself from getting a hernia and/or back problems.

Rega Apollo is an incredible player in that price range... no equal in my opinion. The older Planet 2000 is also a great player for less than $500.

Don't listen to Batman's sidekick - he wears tights that are 2 sizes too small which affects his hearing! The Rega Apollo is an outstanding CD player. Much better than any DVD multi player used to play CD's. Personally I own and use a CEC Belt Drive CD Player. It's a honey and makes listening to music a real pleasure. Here's a pic of the Apollo for Batman's sidekick to drool over...

post-15368-13819437474552_thumb.jpg

Rookie here-- What's a music server? seen them for sale - Don't understand their function.

I am using a Sony 550 blue ray for CDs at present.

I have heard a number of high end purpose specfifc single CD players- With Heritage speakers- I can definitely hear a difference.

Don't have 4k for the Mac.Narrowing down choices from this thread. Thanks for the input. First class advice as expected.

Here is a good thread from a couple of years ago regarding the Rega Apollo.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/86987/876446.aspx#876446

I own one and have not been disapointed. It is a spectacular CDP. I did however add an Olive Music Server and a Benchmark DAC to my system and now find myself using that for my CD listening. To have all my CDs on a hard drive in lossless format and to be able to find and play them at the touch of a screen or a click on my computer or IPhone for that matter, is pretty darn cool and pretty hard to beat. You may want to do a search for music servers on this forum as there are many folks who know way more than I do. I went the easy plug and play with the olive and have been really happy.

If I get around to it, I will be selling my Apollo mostly because I just dont use it anymore and I need SACD abilities so the cd space on the rack will stay with my Sony.

Josh

What's a  music server? seen them for sale - Don't understand their function.

Using a music server you can load all your cds and downloaded music onto the server, or in my case my Apple laptop and use the very easy iTunes to organize, search and listen to your music with speed and simplicity not available from any other source. The cheapest music server I can think of is a Mac Mini. For well under a $1000 you'll have an incredible new way to explore your music collection and as a bonus you'll have a computer. Most dedicated music servers are far more expensive and complicated with little to no improvement in sound. I like the laptop and Apple Express Airport (which has an optical output for input into a DAC) which provides wireless music playback from anywhere on my property along with song selection and volume control. Sound is better than most cd players under $500, but of course the DAC used will determine overall sound quality.

Hifi Jim,

How does this compare to simply using my laptop (and iTunes) through my receiver...or is is the exact same thing?

I listen to Pandora in this manner, but when I look at the cheesy cable which I use to connect to the computers tiny headphone jack I can't but imagine that I am not getting a very good signal. Is there a better way which will provide a superior signal? Please excuse my ignorance.

I agree with the concept, I LOVE using Pandora and / or my computer because the whole 25 plus gig of music is right at my fingertips.

The days of high dollar CD players being a sensible purchase are over. Spend the $850 you'll save on a good snowblower and keep yourself from getting a hernia and/or back problems.

Guess I missed that part of the calendar...:) Either that or I'm an official member of Jay Leno's "More Money than Brains" club.

I'll buy a snowblower when my driveway gets repaved...till then it'll go unshoveled.

Hifi Jim,

How does this compare to simply using my laptop (and iTunes) through my receiver...or is is the exact same thing?

I listen to Pandora in this manner, but when I look at the cheesy cable which I use to connect to the computers tiny headphone jack I can't but imagine that I am not getting a very good signal.  Is there a better way which will provide a superior signal?  Please excuse my ignorance.

I agree with the concept, I LOVE using Pandora and / or my computer because the whole 25 plus gig of music is right at my fingertips. 

Same thing, but it depends on how you hook it up. Using an 1/8 mini jack or anything along those lines is analog and not the best connection. Using a USB from the computer would also be a good idea if your DAC accepts USB (it would have a mini-USB on the DAC), or the router (Apple Airport Express in this case) may also have a USB but I use the optical digital output (sent to my receiver's DAC). Most DAC's have an optical and I prefer it for not having a grounded connection like USB (which in theory could raise the noise level, or create a hum). The beauty of using the Airport Express is that it sits near my receiver connected by the optical cable, but my laptop can be anywhere in my home streaming music at my finger tips. The iPhones and iTouch can also be used as a remote, negating the need to lug your laptop around. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions of if I wasn't clear... I'm not the most Apple savvy person on this forum. [*-)]

best cd player i have heard is the electrocompaniet emc 1 up, it is so close to analog its scary. i have ouned or heard the jolida, the ah, cal audio alpha delta, denon 3910 upgraded, audionote , uniden, sony, onkyo, classe, and a couple others that escape me right now and the electro is here to stay, although it is higher than your budget if you can get the chance to hear one i definately suggest you invest the time, you may just find you are willing to wait a bit longer to save the extra scratch for this absolutely awsome player. one listen and you will beleive all dgital playback is not equal

joe

All the recommedations you've seen give great sound. Sound that 10 years ago would have broke the bank many times over. The sonic differences between them are going to be subtle nuances. What isnt subtle are the bells and whistles. I went with the Cambridge 640 because it is a front loader, full size and solid metal so I could stack gear. It has balanced outs which I use into my Mac gear. It has a Spidf in so I can by-pass the DAC in my Sonos when I want. Those were my 3 criteria that booked the sale.

peace, ymmv,

TommyK

Guess I missed that part of the calendar...:) Either that or I'm an official member of Jay Leno's "More Money than Brains" club.

I'll buy a snowblower when my driveway gets repaved...till then it'll go unshoveled.

I'm with the Dark Knight's Woodstock on this. I've never heard anything from high dollar CD players to justify the cost, nor does the science suggest they should. I once had a roomful of golden ears doing an AB between a Rega and a soundcard and it was a perfectly split decision.

If I had money to burn, there are high end components I would purchase for their design and build quality. Some awfully pretty stuff out there if you have the ducats. Until then, I won't spend a penny more than it takes to hear only the music with no sign of the equipment, and when it comes to CD players that amount is in the sub 300.00 range.

JMHO.

Dave

I'm with the Dark Knight's Woodstock on this.  I've never heard anything from high dollar CD players to justify the cost, nor does the science suggest they should.  I once had a roomful of golden ears doing an AB between a Rega and a soundcard and it was a perfectly split decision. 

If I had money to burn, there are high end components I would purchase for their design and build quality.  Some awfully pretty stuff out there if you have the ducats.  Until then, I won't spend a penny more than it takes to hear only the music with no sign of the equipment, and when it comes to CD players that amount is in the sub 300.00 range. 

JMHO.

Dave

I've been waiting to hear from you on this one Dave... just so I could say, I couldn't disagree more. The very high end cd players I've heard could not be confused for anything but, such was the difference from lesser designs. But then we've been down this road before [:D] Just like music, to each their own and no one is right. [:)]

Yezzir, Jim, and you also know I would never question what you hear. That's just arrogant and ignorant.

In my case, however, when I play one of my own recordings where I know precisely the acoustics of the building, qualities of the instruments, character of the mikes, etc., and hear nothing but those things I cannot see how playback can get better. And what I described is where I find that, while there may be a difference in playback with a different player, it is not more or less accurate. Just slightly different.

When all is said and done, you pays your dollar and takes your choice.

Dave

Yezzir, Jim, and you also know I would never question what you hear.

That's the quote I remember you saying time and again, I couldn't remember it for my post. True and fair. Your reputation as a Klipschhead and recording guru precedes you, but I'm always surprised to hear you say what you do about cd players. I chalk it up to us humans hearing and interpreting all things differently just like music itself.

hear nothing but those things I cannot see how playback can get better.

Have you only compared the Rega, or have you tried other players in your system? Your quote sounds like a forecast and not the result of comparison.

All the recommedations you've seen give great sound. Sound that 10 years ago would have broke the bank many times over. The sonic differences between them are going to be subtle nuances. What isnt subtle are the bells and whistles. I went with the Cambridge 640 because it is a front loader, full size and solid metal so I could stack gear. It has balanced outs which I use into my Mac gear. It has a Spidf in so I can by-pass the DAC in my Sonos when I want. Those were my 3 criteria that booked the sale.

peace, ymmv,

TommyK

Not exactly responding to your post, but dadgum! That is a gorgeous vw in your avatar!

Yezzir, Jim, and you also know I would never question what you hear.

That's the quote I remember you saying time and again, I couldn't remember it for my post. True and fair. Your reputation as a Klipschhead and recording guru precedes you, but I'm always surprised to hear you say what you do about cd players. I chalk it up to us humans hearing and interpreting all things differently just like music itself.

hear nothing but those things I cannot see how playback can get better.

Have you only compared the Rega, or have you tried other players in your system? Your quote sounds like a forecast and not the result of comparison.

>I once had a roomful of golden ears doing an AB between a Rega and a soundcard and it was a perfectly split decision.

There were 18, as I recall, ranging from 20 years old to...well, a lot older. Granted, it was a Card Deluxe...but considerable surprise from some anyway.

Dave