Rotel RB-1080 with RF-7s - Good solution?

MojoX

I have bought the RF-7s again and want to give them an adequate amp. I once had the gread sweet sounding Creek Destiny amp with them but now I want to try something different with more power. As I read that Rotel works well with Klipsch I thought that the RB-1080s together with my Yamaha RX-2600 would be a good idea. I don't have the possiblility to listen to the combination but I would by the RB.1080 used and sell it again if I don't like it.

So it would be nice if you could give me an idea about the sound the Rotel delivers with the RF-7.

Thanks!

Mojo

I used to like the sound of Rotels. I still do, but I reckon you would be better off with a Creek amp than a 1080 with RF7's. Also I have several friends who own Rotels, and they have had varying reliability problems, including hum and stuff like that. Rotel is very good with their warranty work, but I don't think these amps should have such problems in the first place.

Try something different. What about a nice refurbished tube amplifier for a simlar price to the Rotel? Or even a new one if you can afford it. Just avoid some of the really cheap Chinese tube things sold over ebay.

I used to like the sound of Rotels. I still do, but I reckon you would be better off with a Creek amp than a 1080 with RF7's. Also I have several friends who own Rotels, and they have had varying reliability problems, including hum and stuff like that. Rotel is very good with their warranty work, but I don't think these amps should have such problems in the first place.

Try something different. What about a nice refurbished tube amplifier for a simlar price to the Rotel? Or even a new one if you can afford it. Just avoid some of the really cheap Chinese tube things sold over ebay.

I agree with Edwin.

I am inferring your Yamaha is an HT component.

With a Rotel power amp you will have plenty of power but preamp will be the new weak link.

I can't speak to the Rotels, but I'm driving my RF-7s with a QSC PLX-2402 and the QSC positively rocks. I've seen a few on eBay recently.

Agree. I ran a Rotel 1080 with a nice Classe preamp with my modded RF-7s for awhile (back in the day). Then, I ditched the 1080 for a QSC PLX 1202.

Much smoother on the top end, with nearly as tight bass. I would look at QSC.

Carl.

I have owned the Rotel 1080 for about 2 years. I have the matching Rotel preamp. I am pushing some big JBL speakers. What I listen to most are SACD (Super Audio CDs) from my Marantz SACD player. What I enjoy most is the effortless manner in which the Rotel "Flows" music to the speakers. It is a warm, accurate and broad sound. With SACD you can point to where the instruments are playing from. I have had a number of different amps over the years, I am most satisfied with the Rotel, and would buy it again.

Sound is a personal thing, so you may be looking for something different from your music. I want to experience it as cleanly and completely as possible.

James

• 11 months later...