HDMI cables - are the higher priced ones worth the difference?

winchester21

I checked the monster cable website and found several different grades of HDMI cables. I have heard different opinions on the subject. Also there are some places on E-bay that sell similar looking Monster cables that have Ultra 800 and 1000 model series designations for a ton less money- like 29.00 vs 200.00. The models do look slightly different. These stores on E-bay have tons of good feedback. yes- I am also skeptical of Monster cable products as wel but I am not familar with any others Thanks in advance for any opinions/comments.

I am certainly not an expert on this, but this is what I have read...

HDMI and optical digital cables are sending info in a digital fashion. They are not as sensitive to noise issues as analog signals and cables are.

But, I am not an expert. Wouldn't hurt to try the cheaper ones, getting the ones that will handle version 1.3, the latest.

Paul

I've always bought Monster cables. Simply because I didn't know any better. I do believe that they have great products, as they should for that price. But on the other hand, you can get the same quality for FAR LESS money. So to answer your question, no, Monster cables are not worth the money........... My HDMI I bought at walmart for 20 bucks, and it works great! I believe it's Philips?

• Moderators

As mentioned, you will not see a difference between a $150 HDMI cable and a $20 HDMI cable. You will see the difference between a composite and HDMI connection but pairing an HDMI vs HDMI, nope. I have three from Monoprice.com. Very nice quality and totally affordable.

Several good suggestions already

.I bought 3- 2 meter hdmi cables,very heavy shield,$8 delivered.Techbargains often post special deals.I bought a 50 ft hdmi on ebay for $29 delivered,big as your finger,works great.

www.audioholics.com has a great test on hdmi cables. I purchased for 6ft cables from BlueJeans cables for bout $17 each.

And for the other person that commented about digital vs analog. .believe me sending digital video signal over HDMI is much more difficult technologically than sending audio over RCA or video over coax. You listen to too much snake oil!!

I sold a ridiculously expensive Nordost Silver Screen HDMI cable a while back when I needed the money. Final straw was the squinting needed to differentiate between it and a very inexpensive Monster. The Nordost had better color saturation and edge definition when comparing the two on BluRay, but not worth the cost or the pain of its inflexible jacket. I've since gone all Dayton HDMI's from Parts-Express, bought a bunch when I went all HDMI in my HT and love them. 2m cable there is about $5 and nicely made, works great and a tremendous value.