so i walk into a thirft store

seti

I don't know why I did because I was on my way to have a beer at the irish bar across the street Guinness was calling. I even left work early for the Guinness. I'm looking around the thrift store it feels like I am in the land of misfit furniture from late 60's, 70's and the worst part of the 80's. I see some funny shaped speakers and think hmm wonder who made those but there are no indications so it must be a kit. I go back to the guy obviously from the late 60's early 70's and ask about the funny shaped speakers. He says oh some old guy built those speakers back in the 60's and they sound great. That is a matter of debate I don't go into. Apparently he listened to it up until he died. His record collection is the only thing that sold and they threw away some boxes of tubes. That is where I teared up and almost cried. Then he says yeah that old dude also built that console with stereo junk in it upstairs. My eyes triple blink which I didn't know was possible. It took me forever to convince the old stoner that I wanted to see what was inside. It was wrapped in ceran wrap and looked sold which is why no one noticed it. The owner walks out and says I haven't sold anything today you can have the lot for $150. I'm trying to act calm as we cart everything to my truck. The only problem is Amy gave me 150 to buy fencing with and I feel like I'm coming home with magic beans : ) uh oh : )

I was supposed to buy some more fencing but got distract with beer and the audio score. She will understand......right? Looks pretty gnarl maybe she won't.

IMG_1169.jpg

Still has the speaker spec sheet. Sorry for the crappy photo but what is a Wolverine and is it any good? Trash or treasure?

IMG_1171.jpg

I thought to myself now that is very strange. He must of been very anal about tube life.

IMG_1184.jpg

But no I was wrong it was not for tubes but hooked to the turn table which was even stranger to me at the time. It is a Garrard 301. Are these any good? I thought I heard them called a poor mans thorens.

IMG_1172.jpg

It apparently has the transcription motor. I think this is good but not sure. Sorry for the crappy photo.

IMG_1178.jpg

I don't care if it is worth anything or not but the tonearm is wicked cool looking. The needle has an L J but not never heard of that brand.

IMG_1187.jpg

Very cool!

I've had the opportunity to buy equipment from family of the deceased, or directly from the widow, and I always think the same thought each time, that someday that will be my wife selling off those funny looking speakers and those old "radio's" with the glass bulbs sticking out of them . . . .

Greg

That turntable is worth a bundle but I'm sure you know that. My first vintage score a long time ago was a Mac C-20, a pair of MC30's, Garrard 301 with Fairchild arm, a Patrician and a crossover that went to a matching midrange, tweeter. Congratulations on a great score!

Actually no I haven't researched it yet. I remember it being called a poor mans Thorens and something about transcription. I'm going to research it now :) I like bundles : ) When I saw the back of the console and saw the tubes my McIntosh chant had already started.

Seti,

Well at least your Avatar name matches where you'll be sleeping tonight............

On the Seti...............Huh?Couch

All the Best to you and nice find on the Scott.

She will be in about 11. Perhaps I should hide the stuff now.....

You're making me have to really dig into my memory. I remember EV Wolverines from the 60's. If I am remembering correctly they are a shorthorn look-alike with a 12 inch woofer. A friend of mine in El Dorado had a pair stuffed into the corners of a little room about 12 ft long and about 6-7 ft wide. They were on the long wall. He used to play a Dual TT with an Empire cart running into an old Marantz amp. I recall the sound being quite good but I was also young and impressionable at the time (high school) so the appraisal may be suspect.

You're making me have to really dig into my memory. I remember EV Wolverines from the 60's. If I am remembering correctly they are a shorthorn look-alike with a 12 inch woofer. A friend of mine in El Dorado had a pair stuffed into the corners of a little room about 12 ft long and about 6-7 ft wide. They were on the long wall. He used to play a Dual TT with an Empire cart running into an old Marantz amp. I recall the sound being quite good but I was also young and impressionable at the time (high school) so the appraisal may be suspect.

Interesting. I'd never even heard of them. I just got an email saying they are EV Aristocrats. They have the smallest gauge speaker wire I have ever seen. LOL.

Nice haul there! The Wolverines were a marketing ploy by EV to sell a slightly lesser version of their co/triaxial speaks. The Garrard is you rmost $$$$ find in that console, and highly collected. The Scott is, as usual, superb, and that run hour timer is just cool. Let me know if you are going fence shopping again next week. :-)