Maxell poster dude doesn't like me

USNRET

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I thought the original poster to go here and sign up looked like an upstanding forum member, maybe it's a scam, or an innocent was duped into believing it was real and all us lemmings blindly signed up.... to get our emails and mailing addresses.

Maybe started by the (rhymes with hose) people as they can't admit that uh, Klipsch products stomp theirs... or some wiseacre at a nut job audio forum.

That said. The sorry to inform you note did look like it came from Maxell and I thought the website looked legitimate when I sighned. I'm sure hoping it's just a case of demand far exceeding the supply. Or ! Why give these away, we can probably $ell 'em!

Dag nab it. I was looking forward to getting one

Didn't the promo happen like 2 years ago? At least that's when I got mine. I would imagine they'd be out of posters after 2 years...

Oh sure. Make us feel bad. Maybe someone happened upon an old thread or web page at Maxell? Kind of like people answering things here from a year or two ago.

I can see some poor minion at Maxell now getting the speech ... "THIS! This is why I told your predecessor before you and you to remove that web page 3 weeks ago. You really need to do so after you personally reply to the 23,672 new requests we've gotten! #*@^# audio forums!"

The only info on the website has the launch from Dec. 2005, making the poster available.

"The image of the hip, young guy being completely blown away by his
entertainment experience is timeless," said Don Patrican, executive
vice president of Maxell. "We had allowed this icon to become
marginalized over the years. But now, when brand is so important in our
business, we've decided to leverage this image that tens of millions of
people associate with Maxell by putting more energy and investment
behind it."

The key creative decision in the "blow-away"
relaunch was to avoid the impulse to update the image, said Patrican,
who was a sales and marketing executive at Maxell when the original ad
was conceived. Instead, the strategy was to modernize the placement of
the image.

"Attempts had been made over the years to
contemporize the 'blow-away guy', but we decided that the genius of the
ad was the purity of the black-and-white image and how it thoroughly
and elegantly communicates the joy of a great recorded entertainment
experience. We just needed to find new ways to expose that powerful
image," explained Patrican.

"The "blow-away guy is a priceless
brand asset that reinforces consumers' association of Maxell with
quality," added Daniel Lee, vice president of marketing for Maxell.

Print
advertisements are scheduled in Rolling Stone, Spin, Giant, Wired, FHM,
MacWorld and Stuff, while an online effort will be launched in January
including an interactive execution available on maxell.com.

The
"blow-away guy" began life in 1979 as an idea for an advertisement
aimed at retailers in trade magazines. But client and agency management
immediately realized the potential power of the image and developed
consumer-directed print and television executions. Millions of
television viewers of the 1970s and 1980s still associate Richard
Wagner's "Ride of the Walkyries," the soundtrack of the original
television ad, with the enjoyment of recorded entertainment. Additional
millions spent their college years waking up to posters of Maxell's
blow-away guy on the walls of their dorm rooms.

Additional
millions spent their college years waking up to posters of Maxell's
blow-away guy on the walls of their dorm rooms.

I read all kinds of audio and other magazines back in those days such as Stereo Review, Audio, Rolling Stone, Speaker Builder, Down Beat .... I think that was around the time my brother got Guitar Player (never could figure out why he doesn't play guitar) which I read more than him and Musician which I also read more than him.

Wonder how I missed getting one? I've always thought it was a cool image.

Me too, and I was even going to be good guy and send mine to Timmikid overseas.

Sorry Tim, Maxell gave you a rock too. I imagine the number of requests must have been over the top.

M

Too bad Michael, but thanks for trying! Really appreciated! I feel sorry for Maxell (no, I don't [6]). They had a great promotion and it backfired, because they were asleep. Now many audio enthusiasts are angry at them.

Let's see.... my DAT uses tape. There are a lot of studios that use tape still. Som eof the mastering houses like a tape master to compare against the CD that people submit for mastering. It's like vinyl, it isn't dying off. Although, you don't want to know what a 14 inch reel of 2 inch tape might cost.

Of course, a lot of guys, like Ray Charles, switched to digital one the bit depth got higher (24 bit). His last three albums were mostly done on the computer, except for his vocals, which owuld start on tape. Due to his vocal style, he had high dynamics and it was easier to record on tape and bounce to digital for editing.(all this in spite of Travis' sig quote [;)] )

Bruce

His last three albums were mostly done on the computer, except for his vocals, which owuld start on tape. Due to his vocal style, he had high dynamics and it was easier to record on tape and bounce to digital for editing.

That would be due to analog on tape overloading gracefully where digital hits the ceiling and the bits just bounce all over the place? Or at least that's what it sounds like to me. Sounds fine and then total garbage for a while then sounds fine again. Analog tape if I recall could be overloaded quite a bit, the old meters up to +3 and even +6 db and still sound acceptable?

Our daughters' school recently put in functional PAs on their soccer fields and the National Anthem sounded like crap in the loud section where they had recorded to CD. Reasonable volume. Community PA speakers (no bass, 125hz cut off is mandatory - hope they hired a competent sound contractor who installed the proper cutoff) capable of ear splitting levels as close as the bleachers were - on the press box just behind the back of the bleachers at the top. A Tascam combination CD/Cassette player and Peavy mixer amp - main and monitor lines I think 300 watts into 4 ohms or something.

The worst thing is our youngest daughter says the band director says they made the current CD several years ago. The old PA was so bad you couldn't really tell. I think I'll send the band director a note as it does sound terrible - but maybe most people don't care.

I'd hope I could do better with my standalone Audio CD recorder if I had a simple mic mixer and a couple of decent mics and probably several takes to get the level set correctly. Maybe the school doesn't have the equipment?

That would be due to analog on tape overloading gracefully where digital hits the ceiling and the bits just bounce all over the place? Or at least that's what it sounds like to me. Sounds fine and then total garbage for a while then sounds fine again. Analog tape if I recall could be overloaded quite a bit, the old meters up to +3 and even +6 db and still sound acceptable?

That's correct, I just wasn't going to get into it. He had trouble when it was only 16 bit depth, so they almost always used tape on his vocals, and bounced them over to the computer. If you really want to eat up HD space, you can record 32bit. Awesome headroom that way.

I used to do some work at a studio in central Illinois, the owner of which had a business selling studio gear. Had some guys bring down a two inch reel from Detroit. The metters on his MCI were pegged on the playback, but the sound was to die for. Had to have been a good 6db over, but it was so good. Not sure if he sold them any gear or not. [8-)]

• Moderators

Me too, and I was even going to be good guy and send mine to Timmikid overseas.

Sorry Tim, Maxell gave you a rock too. I imagine the number of requests must have been over the top.

M

TIm,

I don't have the Anniv Ed, whatever that was, but I have a brand new one in the tube from a couple years back when they were sending out free posters.

Let me know if you want it.

Did you find my boot yet?

Travis