OT What (if anything) is a MUST DO in Chicago?

Cal Blacksmith

The son graduates basic training on Fri 13 Feb and the wife, my mother and myself will be flying in to see it. We will be in town Thurs night until Monday morning when we fly home. We will have the son with us as he will be granted day time leave for Friday Saturday and Sunday but must be back in his "ship" by 2200. I drove through Chicago once about 30 years ago so I am at a bit of a loss as to where to go and what to do when it is below 32 F, a little cold for this So Cal dude and family.

I had thought of going to Buddy Guy's Legends if the son would be into a little blues but even if we do go there, where else and what else is a "must do"?

I've always enjoyed the muesum of science/industry http://www.msichicago.org/

They've got a captured WWII U-boat there that you can go through. I sure don't know what Germans were doing sneaking around Chicago during WWII though....probably sneaking in to get one of those hot dogs and/or pizza...

There's also a planetarium near same spot, but I forget its name/location http://www.adlerplanetarium.org/ seems to be it

Museum of Science and Industry. The ONLY building left from the Columbian exhibition.(Devil in the White City) The Field Museum of Natural History. Pizzaria Uno's or Due's, the birthplace of Chicago style pizza. Buddy Guy's is always good or check out some of the myriad blues clubs downtown. Greek town, China town, the Auto show. (opens that weekend) So much to do, so little time!

Chicago, that town is great! Any of the museums are Top Notch or especially Shedd Aquarium, we missed the Planetarium. Shopping/experiencing some fine department stores a few minutes north on Michigan Avenue. The wife and I stayed several times out in the suburbs, jump on the interstate, Roosevelt Avenue or Ogden Avenue and drive west to the small towns. Check out the very crowded old McDonalds restaurant downtown on Ohio steet, it is something you won't forget. Downers Grove and many other towns have a semi-fast food joint called Portillo's and it is remarkable. A trip to the top of the Sears tower is pretty neat especially on a clear day. More shopping on Navy Pier.

Nice people, nice place for sure. Oh, if you drive the interstate be prepared to drive at least 85 and be ready to make snap decisions to make an exit.

Stay warm this time of year I don't know how my wifes cousins manage up north in Libertyville....Brrrrrrr.

Downers Grove and many other towns have a semi-fast food joint called Portillo's and it is remarkable

No need to go out of town as they now have one across from the McDonald's on Ohio.

especially Shedd Aquarium

The Shedd is undergoing renovations and they don't have some of the water animals on exhibit at the moment.

James

Downers Grove and many other towns have a semi-fast food joint called Portillo's and it is remarkable

No need to go out of town as they now have one across from the McDonald's on Ohio.

We hit the Portillo's quite a bit when we lived in Bolingbrook. Good food for a sort of fast food restaurant. Portillo's or McDonald's? Sorry Ronnie, no contest. I recall a fondness for Italian beef and cheddar on a croissant.

I know which one I'd got to..... but isn't Pizzeria Uno on Ohio?

The son graduates basic training on Fri 13 Feb and the wife, my mother and myself will be flying in to see it. We will be in town Thurs night until Monday morning when we fly home. We will have the son with us as he will be granted day time leave for Friday Saturday and Sunday but must be back in his "ship" by 2200. I drove through Chicago once about 30 years ago so I am at a bit of a loss as to where to go and what to do when it is below 32 F, a little cold for this So Cal dude and family.

I had thought of going to Buddy Guy's Legends if the son would be into a little blues but even if we do go there, where else and what else is a "must do"?

Many great suggestions so far. Reiterating a few: Museum of Science, Shedds Aquarium, Uno's Pizeria, Miracle Mile for shopping, and I like Webers as all their meats are cooked on Weber Charcoal grills - tasty.

Thanks guys for all the great ideas!

I was at a loss as to what to do, I knew you guys would have some great ideas and I was not disapointed!

The Sub at the museum of science is a must see for sure! If there is time, I don't know what our schedule will be before we get there, he might have guard duty or somthing to deal with, a trip to Buddy Guys would be very nice for the early "show" as he needs to be back to base just after the "regular" show starts.

I will try to gather as much info as possible on the ideas here and on the other thread that was linked and I will present several choices to our new Sailor son and let him pick out what he wants to do. I am sure the sub will be on the top of the list!

If anyone else has ideas, go ahead and post them please, we don't leave until next Thursday and it is better to have too many choices than stand around with our thumb...... well you get the idea [:$]

Easy, for downtown eating places drive slowly down Ohio St and you will find a lot of different places.

Specific palces...

Ricobene's

Fogo De Chao

Shaw's Crab House

Morton's Steakhouse

Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House w/ steaks from Gibson's

The list can go on for food.

Navy Pier

Millennium Park - depended on weather

The John Hancock Center - also on he bottom level is the Cheesecake Factory

James

I cannot speak for the night life as it has been almost 30 years since I lived in the Chicago area but absolutely take the time to see the museums. They are comparable to museums in New York City and Washington DC.

Also please pass my heartfelt gratitude to your son and a hearty congrats to him. Let him know we are very proud of our young men and women who standup to serve this great nation. What rate is he going to be?