solid state amps are there differences ?????

joessportster

what i mean is if i have a stasis class a amp designed by N Pass, is another solid state class a amp going to make any discerniable difference (i am not talking nuances i mean a notable difference) the pass design is probably 15 years old and i am looking at a pair of mono amps a couple years old supposed to be class a ( also my stasis amp has only had very limited use so cap etc... failure is not an issue i feel the amp is at original spec) i guess the question boils down to has there been any real advance in design tech over the past 15 years that will make a system sound notably better

system consists of:

pass stasis amp

mccormack passive pre

talon peregrine x speakers

teac x 1000R reel to reel

Joe

totally agree with your assesment that individual ears will be the test of time, just looking for some input from some of the solid state crew here as i have very limited experience in that department, every piece of solid state i have heard has been at last 15 years old except 1 and it was low wattage and heavily modded as i recall so i couldnt even begin to compare it to this

Joe

Joe,

I'm rotating in and out of my system three different SS amps and they sound very different from one another.

What suprised me was the QSC 1400 (an old one) wakes my woofers up a whole lot more than the newer QSC PLX 1202. The Sonographe by Conrad Johnson is so full of detail but the down side is no matter how loud I crank the volume it still sounds "delicate" . I'd really like to know what a powerful CJ sounds like some day.

speedball

thats interesting, are the 3 amps about equal in power ratings. i am contimplating going from 150 wpc to 220 wpc, (not because i need the power just because the amps happen to be rated at that in mono

i am so impressed with the cd player i have from electrocompaniet (very analog sounding) i am very tempted to try there amps but i will have to sell some gear first for sure

Joe

no matter how loud I crank the volume it still sounds "delicate" .

Interesting. I've noticed the same thing with my Harmon Kardon 430.

I have Crown amps doing the bass on my RF-7's and the H/K 430 on the highs and when I crank it up........it gets loud but really keeps it's composure. "Delicate" might not be the exact word I'm looking for....but close.

I'm really enjoying this sound. I even cut back on using my subs for two-channel listening. I'm only using them when needed.

Joe,

You already know the answer. You need to hear for yourself. There are definatelty differences, but newer is not necessairily better. Its all hit and miss.

If you cannot listen ahead of time, what qualities are you looking for and what qualities are the amps known for? Take all with a grain of salt. I have Classe monoblocks that replaced Brystons. The Brystons are supposed to be bright and the Classe smooth. This was true but to such a small degree that it would be difficult to tell them apart if not compared side by side. I also heard the same Classe amps in a different system and it was bright, but that system is a bright system.

If you need lots of power, the very best solid state amps that I ever heard were from Audio by Van Alstine. I used to use these until I got into SET amps. Actually I used his Hybrid Tube Amps that had a tube output stage and produced 250 watts per channel. I used power hungry speakers and these amps would routinely crush other SS and Tube amps costing more than 7 Grand. The AVA amps were in the $2500 price range.I never found anything better until I moved to SET.

The AVA SS amps are great! - The AVA hybrid tube amps are even better!

speedball

thats interesting, are the 3 amps about equal in power ratings. i am contimplating going from 150 wpc to 220 wpc, (not because i need the power just because the amps happen to be rated at that in mono

Joe

I'd like to hear Electrocompaniet, they have nice looking stuff and very high $$

In answer to your question, yes they are 120w, and 200w for the qsc's.

One qsc versus the other has more slam........weird? must be the old school technology.

Sort of like Tigerwoods said.......... "it's going to take some real listening time to figure out what sounds the best"

i am actually pretty happy with what i am listening to its just that not knowing thing that grates on me (yes i am one of those, never satisfied people) i always beleive something out there is better,

russ to answer your ? i want the best of both worlds but i will settle where i have to

joe

You may find that the pre-amp match may not be compatible to a particular amp or vice versa. In my view the pre-amp or lack of makes the biggest difference. What may sound better to your ears initially may not be in the long run. Always good to have a mixture of amps you can play with, that way the ears/brain never gets bored...nor do you!

Cheers

I have been using a Electrocompaniet pre and power combo for about 20 yrs and really like them. I remember reading very often on this forum that SS amps are not good with horns. Since I got my LS II's the Electros have been fine. You might do well to find some used.

Only caveat is that service is not available in the US.

Some SS amps sound like a 100.00, some sound like 40k. The only way you can tell the difference is to know the price, the only way you can hear a profound difference is to have paid the price. [:P]

Seriously, for those who really need nuclear power, those Van Alstine hybrids sound like a good bet. I've a Frankenrebuilt St-70 and his Super PAS4i preamp and have enjoyed them a lot. Good value, great sound.

Dave

I've heard some very expensive ss and some not very expensive. It comes down to the ears and the speakers more often than not. I have 5 identical ss amps; all have been serviced, re-capped, etc. by the same technicians. In theory they should sound identical on the same pair of speakers. They do not. Not much difference, but noticeable if but subtle. One sounds better with the K'horns than the others; one sounds better with the Belles, but not the others, etc. etc. It's subtle and can drive you crazy....

wow alot of opinions here on solid state (thats good it is exactly what i was hoping to get) my system right now consists of

nakamichi pa5 mk2 (nelson pass stasis design licensed to nak)

mccormack line 1 passive pre

electrocompaniet emc 1 up cdp

teac x1000R reel to reel

talon peregrine x mk2 speakers

sounds very good has loads of detail and bass to spare and the soundstage is excellent so i am not hurting by any means just always wandering if i am missing something i like the idea of keeping a couple amps around for swapping in and out but i dont think the wife will like it much

Joe