I'm BLOWN AWAY! K-Horn / Dynaco discovery!!!

GWSmith

Final photo in this group shows all FOUR originals from the1965 MK III's alongside the new set.

There will be more photos of the new VINTAGE setup in the music room, stay tuned for more!

Enjoy [:D]

post-23544-13819465522494_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If you decide to sell the orginal Gold Lions, (like paully pointed out) you could do well for yourself. I checked e-bay, and saw an unmatched pair that went for ~250, strong matched pairs ~500.

I love my Paramounts, don't get me wrong, but I also love my Dynaco ST-70. And the thought of finding a mess of MK III, which I have been lusting after just for the sheer joy of rebuilding something new and different, is awesome. And Genelex to boot!

I am sure you know all about the dangers of leaving those can caps in and what the old tube sockets can do amongst other things that need to be updated. It looks like you probably have some soldering in your future! Don't forget the Dynaco Doctor forum and the Tubes Asylum for vintage gear where you can discuss these things if you need to.

Paul

Hello again Paully. Glad you like your Bottlehead amps, I will check them out as I am not familiar with them all that much. Please take a look at the photos a couple of pages back in this forum/thread and you will see all that has been changed out and the people and vendors responsible for directing me to making these amps safe to run long term [:)]

All best and a great weekend for you!

Regards,

Gary

• Like 1

Update on the rebuilt Dynaco MKIII's............... Tonight, we listened to 'A Prairie Home Companion' over FM through the PAS II preamp with said amps and K'Horn's - our local FM PBS station and an Akai AT-K03 tuner. The amps performed for their first time OVER two hours continuously with all their new components AND the brand new Gold Lion KT-88's without a hitch!

Loving this 'old' system. I will add photos of this completed setup now. I think you'll love seeing the amps on their own stands 18" off the floor, NO covers, and letting it all hang out with Monster THX interconnects and speaker cables - shining nickle chassis.

More to come [:D]

..............G

• Like 1

Here is the listening room complete. It is simplistic and functional. The seating area is right under the camera's view. Listened to some factory produced (by Ampex and Columbia) reel to reels that I found, hardly ever played. They sound GREAT! Later watched some DVD concert stuff. Probably about 5 additional hours of use, all sounds GREAT !

Hope you have enjoyed the photos, as this thread follows the story from the beginning [:)]

All best,

Gary

PS. Looking into possible upgrading of parts in the PAS 2, as that is UNTOUCHED and all original, most likely, the selenium rectifier will go, all else seems fine, NO scratchy pots or switches on this one - runs like new.

post-23544-13819465822216_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

It's great to see that there are lots of us that place our priorities on sound rather than video!

(As this is very obvious from the picture of your listening room!)

Not intended to be a slam in any sense, I'm deadly serious about this. I have a friend who has his own home audio install business and he was recently telling me that "the future" (for him anyway) with these high dollar home installs consists of "hidden speakers, amps and pre's controlled by iPhones and iPods as the primary source material"

Arrrrrrgggghhhhh!

oh well, maybe that improves all of our chances of picking up more vintage gear at reasonable prices!

Great looking set-up by the way! Just go ahead and ditch the TV and get a large screen monitor to stream your iPhone videos! (ha!)

Mark

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's great to see that there are lots of us that place our priorities on sound rather than video!

(As this is very obvious from the picture of your listening room!)

Not intended to be a slam in any sense, I'm deadly serious about this. I have a friend who has his own home audio install business and he was recently telling me that "the future" (for him anyway) with these high dollar home installs consists of "hidden speakers, amps and pre's controlled by iPhones and iPods as the primary source material"

Arrrrrrgggghhhhh!

oh well, maybe that improves all of our chances of picking up more vintage gear at reasonable prices!

Great looking set-up by the way! Just go ahead and ditch the TV and get a large screen monitor to stream your iPhone videos! (ha!)

Mark

That thread was well over a year old, NOT that that makes any difference.

I agree and disagree. [:P]

I think you can have both, most of the time I have a 2 CH music room, but in the same room I have a nice 5.1 + video.

Both sound good, best I have ever had by far, two completely different speaker setups and different amps. The 2 CH gets used more than anything.

I think what your friend is doing is more of a mass market give them what they want kind of thing. He probably does better as far as money goes installing setups like that. I would like to ask him if he tries to lead them into a more musical setup and the video side as well, or is " flash and convenience " all that sells ?

It doesn't really matter how old it is. It's a great story on some great
gear. I don't totally dis HT gear as I own some myself (Outlaw btw). I was just
bemoaning the fact that even these high rollers place their musical priorities
on aesthetics over performance. BTW, my friend in the business wasn't
pushing this stuff......it's what the public (i.e. wives) are asking
for.

Who else but us old fart purists and emo kids use
this gear anyway? Sure as hell ain't your run of the mill soccer Mom!
Every time I try and hook up the neighborhood kids with systems to turn
them onto it the biggest objection their Mother's throw out is the size
of the speakers!
  • Like 1

• Moderators

BTW, my friend in the business wasn't pushing this stuff......it's what the public (i.e. wives) are asking for.

That's what I was thinking they want convenience, I was wondering if he was trying to somewhat push a little better quality but not at the expense of loosing a customer, can't do that.