SSCTROJAN... Jub production pics

I sort of doubt that plywood with very many plys is more strong than that with fewer. Mabye a bit, but I doubt it comes into play in this application.

I agree with John A. IIRC, the stiffness of a beam (or in this application, a plate) goes up as the fourth power of thickness. That stiffness will be the resistance to bending. There are typically little Z shaped diagrams showing how the stress (compression or tension) in the beam is greatest at the outer layer, and if you can move that outer layer more distant from the center, there is more resistance. This is why an I beam has flanges and the "deeper" the beam, the more resistance to bending.

Thinking about it, I suspect that the same principles apply to damping. If you have a thick panel, whatever damping is available is increased.

This is kinda like having a long lever. If you apply a torque at the fulcrum, there is less force at the end with a longer level arm. Similarly, you need apply less force at the end of the lever to achieve torque at the fulcrum.

Going to the damping thing. The damping is like applying a force at the end of a long lever, or thicker panel. So I'm guessing that damping goes up as the fourth power of thickness too.

Wm McD

Plywood stiffness proportional to layers has more to do with the re-oreintation of the grain across the layers than just the added thickness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

wow. Stunning. Please more pics...

BTW...

My opinion of a great woofer to use in a Jub clone is the Kappalite 3012 LF. This woofer wasn't out at the time of me trying different woofs in my jube clones. The T/S parameters look different than the Klipsch K31's, but in calculation for the bass bin...they are the best "fit" and are of good quality...

Xmax of 9.1 !!!!

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-590&vReviewShow=1&vReviewRand=8807506#reviews

jc