SSCTROJAN... Jub production pics

That's not really a bad price, I live up here in the sticks of GA, and about the same price. Same stuff I built my Cornscalas of, took 6 sheets 60" x 60"

I want to see more pictures of the Jubs that SSCTROJAN is building. Maybe I'll try to build a pair, I understand that the crossovers are very expensive for these.

CB

I am sure you are looking at close to 10 sheets (5'x5') for the bass bins alone - thats approximately $600 just for the wood. Mights as well go with MDF which is $27 (4' x 8') - and it would be no more than 6 (for a pair). 6x27= $162 vs 10x62= $620 (i.e. a difference of about $458 excluding tax differences). I know Baltic birch is lighter, but not by much.

Although it is probably best material to build with, its is quite expensive.

OK... a quick lesson on hardwoods and softwoods. All plywood whether its oak, pine, maple... all are equally as strong. Lumbercore, is as little stronger than the plywood. As far as the woods themselves pine is the weakest! Maple and birch are stronger than pine. Oak is stronger than all of these and Walnut is stronger than oak. When you get into using 3/4 in plywoods. Whether is paint grade maple or stain grade oak they are all equally strong. Go to your local cabinet maker and ask.

love it...

"All plywood whether its oak, pine, maple... all are equally as strong"...."pine is the weakest!" "Maple and birch are stronger than pine." "Oak is stronger than all of these and Walnut is stronger than oak"

huh....equally strong, except, but, unless,

Here's a nice white paper about plywood and various specifcations applied to it.

Y510.pdf

Just out of curiosity, does it really matter how strong of a ply is used when build a horn system? I understand the stronger - the better - but unlike a sealed enclouse, I could not imagine the ply flexing in a horn system as it is pretty much open. Am I wrong in assuming that, as long as the ply is rigid, it should not take away from the overall sound (as compared to a super storng ply). I am not suggesting that one can simple go for the cheapest material, but I just don't know how a super storn ply vs a decent strong ply would be THAT different in overall sound when building a horn bass system.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

• Moderators

Thats what I was thinking Dkalsi, I used the Oak in the picture and it's much better quality than standard or even BC plywood. After using 11 sheets for something I just finished, there were very few voids and the ones I did come across were very very small, overall it appears very solid. It was $47 for 4x8 sheets 3/4'', the only other Oak I could find was from a specialty wood dealer and it was over $70 a sheet and did not look any different ?

Just out of curiosity, does it really matter how strong of a ply is used when build a horn system? I understand the stronger - the better - but unlike a sealed enclouse, I could not imagine the ply flexing in a horn system as it is pretty much open. Am I wrong in assuming that, as long as the ply is rigid, it should not take away from the overall sound (as compared to a super storng ply). I am not suggesting that one can simple go for the cheapest material, but I just don't know how a super storn ply vs a decent strong ply would be THAT different in overall sound when building a horn bass system.

I had a link at one point, that showed a horn made out of paper mache. Not very strong in some respects, but it apparently worked.

Thanks

I used to think the same way until I started building some of my own horns....it's amazing how much vibration you can create and how much bracing you need to keep it under control...

Thanks

I used to think the same way until I started building some of my own horns....it's amazing how much vibration you can create and how much bracing you need to keep it under control...

Nah single ply pine should do nicely.

OK... I GOT THEM BUILT AND BROUGHT THEM INSIDE TO COMPARE NEXT TO MY KHORNS...... IT BLOWS MY KHORNS AWAY. IT WENT EVER BIT AS LOW AS THE KHORN AND WAS MUCH CLEARER. I KNOW UNDERSTAND WHAT PEOPLE MEAN WHEN THEY SAY THE KHORN BASE IS MUDDY. I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEAN UNTIL I HEARD THE KLONES. THEY ARE SO MUCH CLEARER. IN FACT A FELLOW KLIPSCH FORUM GUY CAME OVER AND LISTENED AND SOME OF YOU MIGHT BE FAMILIAR WITH (LINK ALLEY). LINK ALLEY SAYS AND I QUOTE" I HAVE SEEN IT, I HAVE HEARD IT, MY LONG TERM LOVE AFFAIR WITH MY HOPPED UP KHORNS IS NOW OVER. THE KHORN SOUNDS CONGESTED. I NOW HEAR THE DIRTY SOUNDING BASE. DR. JAMES CULLISON IS CORRECT. JUB IS CONSIDERABLY BETTER. MUCH CLEARER AND OPEN." AS SOON AS I GET THEM VENEERED. I WILL BE POSTING FINAL PICTURES.

I'd speculate one of the issues would simply be the sidewalls resonating, much like the La Scala is known for.

Might stronger plywood help minimize the sidewalls resonating?

No, Coytee. Strength and stiffness are different properties and are not quite directly linked. Strength is more a property of the material and stiffness is more a property of the geometry (thicker is stiffer). A 1/8" x 2" x 36" steel bar is stronger in tension than a 3/4" x 2"x 36" plywood bar, but the plywood is stiffer in bending.

As Klipsch did with the La Scala II, making the bass horn thicker make it stiff enough that the resonance is too high to be excited by the woofer, or high enough that the natural damping of the wood prevents its occurance. Think of what happens when you tighten a guitar string. Tighter is more resistant to movement emulating stiffer. The resonant frequency rises.

In the case of any speaker, and wood structures in general (your house), strength is irrelevant. The structure that meets stiffness requirements is very thick for its loads and lightly stressed, therefore overly strong. The bass horn that is stiff enough not to color the sound is much stronger than it must be.