Horn Dampening

sootshe

Decided to try some dampening material on the K400's. A friend had some sound deadening material primarily for automotive applications. It's a combination of thermal reflective & butyl rubber with self adhesive. Impressions are positive with a slight softening of the mids which are now slightly more recessed in the sound stage. This has subjectively improved the bottom end making it easier to follow the bass line.
Very easy to apply....just cut to size with scissors...remove backing paper....and apply. Even easier when you have your friend do it for you....thanks Sandro.
A worthwhile & low cost improvement! I love that.

post-32839-13819464251098_thumb.jpg

Sounds okay to me:

damp·en
v. damp·ened, damp·en·ing, damp·ens

v. tr.

1. To make damp.
2. To deaden, restrain, or depress: "trade moves . . . aimed at dampening protectionist pressures in Congress" (Christian Science Monitor).
3. To soundproof.

I'll admit this topic always confused me...

I would have thought that, just like setting a bell on the ground, if you terminated the horn (mounted to baffle), you would immediately reduce most of the ringing.

If the horn is detached from the motorboard, then it can resonate. Just like a bell that is hanging from...well...what ever a bell hangs from. A tower I suppose.

I thought the larger problem with the K400 was more along the lines of reflections within the horn and I would have thought wrapping it would not affect those too much.

I guess I'm showing more of my ignorance, yet again!!! [:$]

What is PWK talking about when he says a flange of three times the mouth area? Is that the plywood baffle that the horn is attached to?

I too have a hard time believing these horns ring when they are attached to the plywood. When you take them off the plywood and talk through them, they ring like crazy.

Greg

Sounds okay to me:

1. To make damp.
2. To deaden, restrain, or depress: "trade moves . . . aimed at dampening protectionist pressures in Congress" (Christian Science Monitor).
3. To soundproof.

Well then which is it? To deaden or to get it wet?

"Damping" has no such ambiguity.

OK, my horns and drivers are soaking in the bath-tub. Sounds like hell.