On to new things?

Cornwalled:

My God! An honest audiofile with humility. Who here on this forum would confess to the ears being most of the problem and not the horns. It would be interesting if there was some kind of electronic measurement to determine "Honk". It is also a wonderment how PWK came up with the final product to please most of the people most of the time even with humanistic variable anomolies.

JJK

• Moderators

That's very funny Cornwalled, a tough thing to admit also but I am really glad you found the problem, it was closer than you thought...........sorry I couldn't help it. [:D]

It does not take much, I have always thought about trying to find a product that would really clean out the ears.

My hearing is not so good, partly from along time ago working in a shipyard and having a few really bad ear infections over the years ( the concerts didn't help either ). I heard the ear infections can cause damage, I think it is true, but I would like to make sure it's not something simple.

• Moderators

A careful wipe of each ear with the end of a Q Tip

and some peroxide occasionally.

I was not going to say anything to prove i am nuts but I have tried peroxide also, sounds cool while bubbling ! [:S]

Using peroxide isn't nuts. In fact, if you look on the "ear cleaning stuff" label, you'll see the active ingredient is peroxide. Don't remember concentrations, though.Yes, I clean my ears after a shower as well, but I just use my pinky and a bit of toilet paper.

Using peroxide isn't nuts. In fact, if you look on the "ear cleaning stuff" label, you'll see the active ingredient is peroxide. Don't remember concentrations, though.Yes, I clean my ears after a shower as well, but I just use my pinky and a bit of toilet paper.

Hmmm... I haven't tried peroxide, though, along with baking soda, it's one of my favorite multi-purpose household chemicals. I don't think the stuff I am using is predominately peroxide, as it doesn't bubble but appears to dissolve the stuff more like dish soap on grease.

In my case, I've had a couple of instances where I developed plugs of a quarter inch thick and an inch long. Doctor extracted the first one in a rather painful procedure. The latest one, about a year ago, I very slowly and carefully extracted myself after loosening with ear wax dissolver. Took longer than the doc, but much less painful and a lot cheaper.

So now I just keep it in a drawer at my listening station...that's where I most often am reminded to use it! Just like cleaning records, tape heads, or any other listening prep to ensure a good experience.

Dave

Excellent Jon - way to step up and re-evaluate your situation and system. The 'Scalas will certainly add a different perspective to your gear (changing one piece at a time would offer more insight). I've experienced that while the CW's have a deeper bottom-end, the LS's are faster and more detailed. You'll have the opportunity to decide which fits your room and suits your taste.

BTW, my doc suggested 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with 1 part hot water to clear out excessive earwax. Squirt the solution into the canal with a large syringe followed by a warm water rinse. Have fun

Get yourself some Bose. Rumor has it that the Doctor loves violins and made the 901 to accurately reproduce their sound. Which probably explains why I don't like Bose. I don't like violins either. Screechy shrillist contraptions expect in the hands of only a handful of gifted musicians. But I'm just a lowly bass player, with 30+ live in concert (acoustic and choral) recordings to my credit and a state of the art listening room, so what do I know?

Get yourself some Bose. Rumor has it that the Doctor loves violins and made the 901 to accurately reproduce their sound. Which probably explains why I don't like Bose. I don't like violins either. Screechy shrillist contraptions expect in the hands of only a handful of gifted musicians. But I'm just a lowly bass player, with 30+ live in concert (acoustic and choral) recordings to my credit and a state of the art listening room, so what do I know?

Ah, artto, you make me giggle. I feel the same way about ballet. There are about 2 decent ballet dancers at any given moment. When I lived in Singapore a frend to me to see the Royal Winnipeg Ballet. "Whump, thump, thump" they banged around on the floor and staggered hither and yon. I was continually surpressing giggles and nearly choked to death at times! What a riot! I thanked my friend for taking me to see the Royal Pegleg Ballet and was never invited to anything like that again (my clever and cunning plan worked).

Dave

Too bad. He changed his mind. I was going to offer the services of my new company, AzCDS. That's Arizona Cornwall Disposal Service to the uninitated. It's a subsidiary of my larger company AzKDS. We offer attractive pricing and convenient service. Your unwanted Cornwalls will disappear and never insult your ears again.

Just don't let Michael find out about this service. :)