Modding Older LaScalas

OK, so preparing braces for the inside of the bass bins is a better idea to sheathing the outside of old LaScalas?

Indifferent

Probably.

I've done this and it's not too difficult. You have to cut each one and shape it fit individually.

Sorry I don't have any really good pictures of them.

Those braces extend to the back and are glued and screwed in place. Since you're going to veneer the cabinets, you can use fasteners through the sides of the cabinets.

Greg

post-11090-13819466104098_thumb.jpg

Greg, a speaker that looks that good doesn't have to make sound.

General question: If I wanted to add bracing to my LaScalas w/o messing up the finish, what would be the best approach to fasten them into place?

General question: If I wanted to add bracing to my LaScalas w/o messing up the finish, what would be the best approach to fasten them into place?

Would the braces be exposed? Painted?

I think what you're asking is how to attach the braces without using fasteners through the finished sides.

Here's one way. After you make and adjust each brace so it fits tightly, mark the inside where the brace will go and then use Liquid Nails to hold it in place. Install by putting the speaker on its side. This is going to be tricky and messy though, you're going to have to slide the piece back into place which will leave a mess of glue behind. You'll have to use your finger to push the glue into the seams top and bottom to fill any voids, and then a solvent to clean up the glue residue. But this would work.

Pocket screws would be another way, but there's not much room to work. You could screw from inside the woofer chamber to one side.

Greg

Is the upper version essentially your modification with a slot replacing the two tubular ports?

Yes.

If so, is that done primarily for cosmetic reasons?

Yes.

Does it affect (either good or bad) the performance compared to the round ports?

I doubt there is any real difference.

More information regarding the PPSL unit would also be appreciated. Is there more than one driver?

There must be an even multiple, in this case two 12s.

From the photo, it's difficult (for me, at least) to envision the final configuration and its operation.

Posted Image

Last, how does one load more than a single photo into a post?

There are many ways to do this. I had the two images on two different pages, and then I just right-clicked on 'copy', went back to my Klipsch post, then clicked on 'paste'.

LS27.jpg

Greg, yes, that's exactly what I was asking. I want to locate the bracing as other have, half-way down the doghouse. My plan is to match my stained finish, so will have to do a bit of testing with scraps to see if I can come up with a satifactory match. The liquid nail route sounds the easiest, albeit the messiest. Would I need to prep the glue surface of the speaker where finish exists?

Greg, yes, that's exactly what I was asking. I want to locate the bracing as other have, half-way down the doghouse. My plan is to match my stained finish, so will have to do a bit of testing with scraps to see if I can come up with a satifactory match. The liquid nail route sounds the easiest, albeit the messiest. Would I need to prep the glue surface of the speaker where finish exists?

I don't know, that stuff sticks pretty good to just about anything.

Greg

DizRotus, if you right-click on the pics in the post with multiple pics and check the properties you'll see that they're actually hosted on a different site. what you're seeing is a link to them. there can be any number of these in a post. use the link button in the toolbar.

GRKhorns9.jpg

LS27.jpg

"if you right-click on the pics in the post with multiple pics and check the properties you'll see that they're actually hosted on a different site."

If you right-click on these you will find that these are both at Klipsch.

I just right-clicked on each photo, then copy, and then pasted them into this post.

Those braces extend to the back and are glued and screwed in place. Since you're going to veneer the cabinets, you can use fasteners through the sides of the cabinets.

Greg,

Would you veneer the inside surfaces before fitting the brace to save fitting the veneer around the brace?

Pete

Greg,

Would you veneer the inside surfaces before fitting the brace to save fitting the veneer around the brace?

Pete

It's too hard for me to get veneer inside the doghouse, so what I did was stop the veneer where the grills are. It's just painted black in behind.

Greg

post-11090-13819474661896_thumb.jpg