New Star Trek Review...

Schu

Thanks for posting.

It is difficult to believe by today's standards, but much of the Sci Fi of the '60s was a step up from what was presented before. Even, "too intellectual."

Wm McD

saw the new Star Trek yesterday...I liked it and I was around for the original series and was a young fan back then...some twists to the formula but worth the price of admission I think...feast for the eyes too...

Bill

Hmmm...wellll..I liked it and I didn't...."rebooting the franchise" has been the mantra. But that's not what this is...it is a "re-imagining" that is confounding and upsetting. I wish I had not seen it. If you are happy with the Roddenberry-verse, don't see this movie. If you want to get in on the overhyped buzz of a fresh set of young actors with very good acting chops, (kind of like before the inaugural) and you are prepared to accept two different verses (the J.J. Abrams and the Roddenberry-verses) then see it because it is a cracking good movie in its own right.

They never did explain how they generated gravity on board the Enterprise. Without gravity on board space travel is a dead issue. (Bone loss is huge after 6 months.)

JJK

Didn't you hear it is the do hicky thinga that produces the gravity. [:P]

I just got back from seeing this (a late night 11 o'clock showing in the DLP theater). I thought it was actually pretty cool certainly worth seeing for any star trek fans (unless you are the real anal type that thinks the "only" Star Trek are the original series). Anyway, will be looking forward to this one coming out on DVD as there were many time when I was thinking "Oh maan, cannot WAIT to hear and see what that is going to be like on my system!".

I thought it was a very good show as well. I think they could of tried a little harder to find a slot for Bill but other than that a great show.

Well one other comment, it was too loud. I didn't realize I needed to take ear plugs to watch the movie. Some of the scenes were piercing to my ears.

Come on, I like to listen to music turned up sometimes but man its got to be smooth and fairly warm I cant take that screaming crap.

Well one other comment, it was too loud. I didn't realize I needed to take ear plugs to watch the movie. Some of the scenes were piercing to my ears.

It was the other way around here when I saw it last night. I wished they could've turned it up a notch or two. Apparently somebody at the theater where you saw it seemed to like to really crank things up there.

I saw it lastnight in a klipsch theater (UA 14 in Indy) fyi the northside of Indy is blessed with a few Klipsch theaters. In any case I liked it for a few reasons, and I will put a disclaimer in that I have seen the orig series, but am more of a TNG fan. It had a good edge of serious acting and kept my fiance interested who has never seen any Star Trek before(i know i know). Also, the plot allows for the creators to go in a different direction that anything we have seen in the series or other movies due to the rupture in the space time continuium (pushes my taped together glasses back up to my eyes)...pretty genious. Other prequils and comic book on the screen movies have to flow and fit in exactly to what we know...ie Bond, Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers, Spiderman, etc. This one can depart and has a nerdy answer as to why so.

Nimoy was on SNL last night.

He said 'not liking the new Star Trek would make you..'

'Completely Illogical' ventured the newscaster?

'no, a d!ckhead' says Nimoy- LOL

The audience cracked up at that one.

Here in Canada, the new movie was to be released first in Vulcan, Alberta. It's a small town west of Calgary that has no Vulcans, but lots of Star Trek stuff, including an Enterprise statue. When the studio said that for some reason it would not premier in Vulcan, but in Calgary, Leonard Nimoy stepped in and said the people of Vulcan would see it first, even if the studio had to pay for buses to transport any interested Trekkers from Vulcan to the theatre in Calgary.

Very cool, Mister Spock!

Technology conflicts - I found my self wondering what the producers were thinking....how on earth can the technology portrayed in this film be more advanced the the technology portrayed in the orginal series. The original series used walkie-talkie communicators, computers said "working" during wait times for basic commands, etc

Curtural conflicts - the most out of wack aspect.....during the original series there were no aliens on the enterprise, much less the acadamy...

Technology conflicts - I found my self wondering what the producers were thinking....how on earth can the technology portrayed in this film be more advanced the the technology portrayed in the orginal series. The original series used walkie-talkie communicators, computers said "working" during wait times for basic commands, etc

Curtural conflicts - the most out of wack aspect.....during the original series there were no aliens on the enterprise, much less the acadamy...

Also in the orginal series for all the exterier shots of the ship you could see the fishing lines holding the 6 inch model of the Enterprise in front of a picture of outerspace. The movie uses all these real neat special effects, computer graphics, and much more expensive models.

That was pretty silly. Check out this Turkish Star Trek parody from the '70s with new English subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axbYfK0HS1Y&feature=related

Also, Janeway and Seven of Nine speaking French with new English subtitles (the translator was a bit creative):

Part 2:

Apparently, this is pretty mild stuff in England...