Sucker for a pretty face!

Coytee

Or maybe I just have a conscience....

Today I started the process of cleaning out the pond. It's sat idle all winter and the wife never cares for me to put a screen over it consequently, it gets tons of leaves in it from the fall.

post-15072-13819466195938_thumb.jpg

Looking around, I saw a bunch of tadpoles flipping around. Facing a sure death here, I decided I could not just walk away knowing their chances of survival were 0.00% if I did so... but what do I do to save them?

Well... I got one of my dogs watering bowls... Couldn't find my putty knife and I don't have a childrens shovel (little plastic type you might see them use at the beach...or perhaps the little plastic type Fini might use in his back yard [^o)])

I ended up grabbing this cutting wheel that goes to my pneumatic cut saw

post-15072-13819466197778_thumb.jpg

I know there are more in the pond that have not been sucked out and I probably missed some in the mud. I spent probably an hour scouring this area trying to find every one of them. I just figured what would the poor little guy at the bottom of the hill think if he saw me save the one just up the hill from him?

Yeah... a conscience can sometimes be a bad thing!!

These are all the tadpoles I collected. I carried them down to the lake and set them free. On the way down, it dawned on me that a fish will probably eat them but then... at least, they now have a fighting chance rather than a guaranteed death.

post-15072-13819466198148_thumb.jpg

Not sure if they are in your area, but that looks like a pole from a marine toad, AKA BUFO TOAD

The highly toxic bufo toxins in the animals parotid glands causes almost certain death for any creature attempting to eat it. Australia, as well as South Florida are attempting to eradicate this unwelcome guest.

Anyway if there are bufo's in your area, you might want to kill the little monsters before they kill your or your neighbors pets.

Again, I don't know if they are in your area, just looks very large which make me think BUFO

Death to ALL BUFO's

Oh, GREAT... and I just got done infesting the lake...

Well... the lake next to me (Tellico Lake) dumps into the Tennessee River which I speculate works its way to other lakes & rivers, ultimately dumping out in the Gulf of Mexico.

think they can trace them back to me?

post-15072-13819466198518_thumb.gif

• Moderators

BTW, your pond has got some great stonework on it. Looks very nice.

That's what I was thinking DD, good job on the stone.

And all this time I thought this thread was about your wife .

• Moderators

Do you ever haul your Jubes outside and let em rip?

I think I have heard his LaScalas playing Marie Osmond... al the way down here in North Geogia...Confused

You know Marvel....I think I heard Marie Osmond the other night also! Coytee must be up to old ways again.....Now he's a jub-lovin', dog face paintin', ear lobe lickin', leg shavin', Marie Osmond lovin', poisoinous tad pole savin' TROUBLEMAKER![;)]

Coytee, you know I'm just kidding....well I'm kidding about everything except the "Troublemaker" part![;)]

Thank you regarding the rocks. Every last one of them came off the farm and the wifey & I collected them. Dumped into a big pile and then during the crunch time to get the back patio done in time for our wedding, we built the pond & waterfall. (wedding was on back patio)

The spillway rock is in the top right corner of the first picture. It came off a MUCH MUCH larger rock that I was trying to move home. Then, this top section simply cleaved off and it had a flat bottom. What to do? It looked interesting so I brought it home anyway. When it came time to do the pond, I knew immediately what rock just had to be the spillway. It was perfect.

We laid it down after building the rest and filled the pond up & everything worked the first time we tried it! It was our first (and last) pond. The only thing I think I would have done differently is to have laid a double layer of liner instead of just a single layer.

There's a retaining wall that you don't really see in this picture and other than about 5 larger rocks, the wife built the entire thing herself. All the while, keeping her fingernails clean and intact!!

post-15072-13819466240874_thumb.jpg