I got laid off :(

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary

Sorry to hear about you impending freedom. I always thought you where a medical doctor. I have been working for a bank, although not in traditional banking part, but for a traditional bank for the past 8 plus years. I hope you land one soon and don't start until September. Good luck. You didn't work for National City did you?

No. Chevy Chase Bank.

And no, I didn't despise my job for 23 years, just the last 8 or so. I had to get my kids through college and they had me by the short hairs with my deferred comp (which I recieved shortly after the change in control :). Assuming I'm not unemployed for the next 2 years, this might end up being the best thing that's happened to me in a very long time. Now if I could only convince my wife of that.......

Fini - no offense meant in my prior post. I should have used a wink instead of the raised eyebrow ;)

So who held a gun to your head and forced you to become a carpenter?

My high school shop teacher. He made me do other stuff, too.[:'(]

[;)] Gotcha! I never even took shop! It was my gym coach...

Heh...actually, really, it was my college art professor (none other than our own Clipped & Shorn, ca. 1978). He owns an old ranch, and the house needed a new foundation. Since I knew how to edit a film, he figured I could hammer on my knees. Thirty+ years later, it's my knees that are hammered. Funny, I think most of the art graduates at that time went into carpentry! I actually love doing it. It's a young man's sport, though. I think I'd go crazy pushing papers all day (making good money at it might make it more palatable [;)]). Ultimately, I think I'd make a good sidekick. Sort of a cross between Ed McMahon and Gabby Hayes.

Josh and Gary, I wish you both the best. Try to enjoy the time off, I think you both might find it refreshing and restorative. When you and the economy are back in alignment, consider a good sidekick. Resume available.

Josh and Gary, I wish you both the best. Try to enjoy the time off, I think you both might find it refreshing and restorative. When you and the economy are back in alignment, consider a good sidekick. Resume available.

Do you have your own mask?

"Hey, Stephen. Could you come down to my office and oh yeah, bring your jacket." That was a pretty cold phone call I got from my boss the first time I got laid off. It's never pretty, but from my experience I think you will find that some good will come out of it in the long run. I think of the good friends that I have made as a result of that lay off and the fact that I never would have met my wife if that had not happened. Best of luck to you, gentleman.

And a feather!

And a feather!

Sometimes, I wear the stretchy pants in my room.

It's for fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've got it.

A new job that is.

Unoficially I've got it, we are just waiting for the background check and some other paperwork to go through before they make me an official offer.

Keep us in your prayers as this means packing up and moving out of state in less than two weeks.

-Josh

I think I've got it.

A new job that is.

Unoficially I've got it, we are just waiting for the background check and some other paperwork to go through before they make me an official offer.

Keep us in your prayers as this means packing up and moving out of state in less than two weeks.

-Josh

Not to jinx it or anything, but what state might you be headed to?

Carl