OT - Stolen iPod - on a personal note

Amy

I will suggest you report it to the police.

This comes out of a very bad situation in my high school days. An expensive piece of radio gear went missing. All of us in the radio club were under suspicion. Eventually the bad boy tried to sell it. The cops picked up on it and the bad boy was identified as the thief.

The good part of this was that the rest of us could say that we are cleared.

Yes, it was a guy who was on the fringe of the club but still one who you'd never think would do anything illegal.

Wm McD

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I say we take up a collection to get Gilbert's buddies to "convince" the little scumbag to locate Amy's I-Pod and return it.

put me down for a hundred

Maybe a few of Colter's reptile friends would help him have a "moment" and recall what he did with it.

I really hate thieves.

I am recalling the scene in "Undercover Blues" with Morte in the tree at the zoo...

iPods aren't cheap. plus you said other stuff. There is enough to make it worthwhile to the police. Mom will get the idea.

Theft of iPods happens frequently enough that it's sometimes called "iCrime". It often results in injuries because the victim will resist giving up the iPod because of all the time and money spent loading music into it. It's not like a wallet that just contains money.

I'd agree that the police should be contacted. It's not a cheap item, and if the thief thinks you condone his crime, he feels no guilt and starts to feel entitled to take the "five-finger discount" whenever the mood strikes him.

Tell the kid's mom that you have friends who know where there's swamps with gators. This pic taken in Hope just last week and I hear the gators are hungry.

Colter,

Is that the itty bitty gator that Trey said you were afraid of? Trey probably told you "He won't bite".

Does 'first one out of the truck' count as being afraid?

I did get a bit worried about him turning at the very tippy end of the completely washed out road in the middle of BFE though. He is certifiably CRAZY you know!

Life goes on, and I realize it's just an iPod, but the issue of broken trust is the most upsetting.

What a healthy take on a bummer occurrence, Amy. Best to you, I hope it's returned.

I'd agree that the police should be contacted. It's not a cheap item, and if the thief thinks you condone his crime, he feels no guilt and starts to feel entitled to take the "five-finger discount" whenever the mood strikes him.

I don't know what the capacity of the iPod Touch in question is, but I know all to well that 32-gig version that I have cost nearly $400 brand-new, plus figure another $50 or so I spent on games and what-not I've put on it as well, plus the $20 or so for the case I've gotten for it.

In some states, that puts it up there in the Grand Larceny territory - a felony (usually if more than $250 or so, in Virginia, it is only $5 if taken from a person - $200 if not taken from a person (i.e., shoplifting), thus this would definitly be a Grand Larceny if this had occured in Virginia. I don't know what it is in Indiana or Arkansas - don't recall where Amy is based out of). Either way, I think I would definitly report this to the police. Sounds like that kid needs a lesson the hard way.

When I worked at the apple store in 2005, unfortunately the serial number means really nothing. The information on there can be reformatted and wiped clean. I do know that there is software on the apple laptop thats take pictures of the person who is using the laptops if you contact apple and claim it is stolen but since the iphone camera is in the back I doubt that option is available.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/10/nyregion/10laptop.html

Life goes on, and I realize it's just an iPod, but the issue of broken trust is the most upsetting.

What a healthy take on a bummer occurrence, Amy. Best to you, I hope it's returned.

Is it really a healthy take on it? Or a sad and unfortunate commentary that our society has regressed so far that this type of abhorrent behavior is tolerated. Amy this is not a derision of your position, it is your call to make, but more of an indictment of the fact we as a society seem have moved too far in this direction. JMO. No offense intended.

I think having the attitude that "it's just stuff" is healthier than
getting freaked out and consumed by rage and revenge. That is not to
say Amy shouldn't report it stolen, which I think she should.

• Moderators

Thank you all so much for the support, and I am happy to report that the kid had a flash of conscious and brought all stolen items back with apologies, including the ipod. Faith is once again restored, at least in my small part of the world.

[:)]

Glad for the return of your property...this rarely ever happens...Glad Faith has returned...rare to happen as well...nicest thing about getting your property back instead of replacement is the sentimental value...I have seen such items sold for pennies but the cost due to loss of sentimental value is enormous...glad it seems to have turned out...did his Mom ever acknowledge anything???

Bill

• Moderators

..did his Mom ever acknowledge anything???

I don't know, I didn't talk to her. Not sure I will - I don't even know her.

I got him on the phone just a few minutes ago and thanked him for doing the right thing. Seemed to have felt really bad. Perhaps there's hope for him yet.