How to make my second good corner?

Sky Hits

So, I have roughly four cubic feet of very old dry wall in the way of having two great corners available in my listening room. Please see the following three pictures. I just spoke with my landlady about this strange box that my turntable is currently sitting on. She thinks it was probably for the old heating system in the building. She has given me the go-ahead to remove it.

So...what is it and how best to remove? That archway wall leads to the living room on the other side. Behind the other wall is a bedroom....no vent system right there. Below it is the small lobby for the apartment building (a 6 unit, three floor graystone.)

Should I smash the thing with an axe? Poke a hole and peak into another world? Burn it with a penetrating gaze?

post-26714-13819475392502_thumb.jpg

I would drill a small hole on the side down low, maybe half inch as an inspection point. Then you can get a better ideal of what you have to deal with Carefull when drilling not to plunge in to far. Hope this advise from a professional bld. maintenance man helps [8-)]

Good luck & let us know if you find Jimmy Hoffa's body or other great treasures.

Cornman

somehow I doubt that is a useless peice of shelving, better go easy, try making a hole that can be easiely covered with a blank electrical outlet plate and peer up inside to see what is actually under there

bet it is plumbing, what is on other side?

Hi both of you. Nothing on the other side of the archway. Behind the wall is a bedroom and there is no evidence of anything there. If my landlady is right, and it is for an old heating system, I suppose it may lead to pipes under the floor.

The concensus is to proceed with caution, so I will. I'll attempt to make two small holes, one for my eye and one for a flashlight.

I'll try tonight and report back.

Thanks, Seth

If I'm understanding you right, you want to remove that "box" that is in your corner but are unsure if there is something in it?

I'd certainly not deal with it using a sledge nor a sawzall or anything like that yet. Evidently you have permission to remove it (in writing?)

I'd pull out my trusty utility knife and essentially, disassemble it. If you cut a panel of drywall off and find there is indeed, something in there (dead bodies excluded) you can easily fix it back up. If nothing is in there then you can bring out the sawzall or hand saw or what ever tools you might have at your fingertips to deal with it.

I'd go easy at first. Heck... since this is arguably an improvement in the place, I'd ask the landlord if you can deduct the materials from your next check. They'll probably say no but never hurts to ask.

Good luck with it!

Like the others have said, proceed with caution. You might also want to worry about the floor in that area. If it was indeed for pipes it might not have anything covering the pipes. Will you or the building maintenance cover that up? I would worry about that if the cost is coming out of your pocket with out a discount on the rent, like Coytee mentioned.

Good luck.. [Y]

James

My guess is that was built to cover something, I'd leave it alone, unless you want an major remodel. I don't think anybody would build an empty box just for laughs. Take a peak but I'll bet you a buck you don't like what you see.

Thanx, Russ

P.S. Maybe it's the corner of the girls locker room, drill quietly.................

I say the complete opposite take a sledge to it and deal with any problems later, especially if you plan on staying there long. If your doing it to benefit you just fork out a few bucks to fix up the corner, flooring, drywall, pipe caps, etc. then you have more space for your system, plus it might be the reason for that drain that keeps clogging and you could fix that while your at it. Actually dont listen to me I've had a couple of drinks all ready to day.

duder

sounds like you rent !!!!!, and one thing to remember is that even if it is a discontinued heat system etc... and all plumbing has been capped , the floor needs to match your existing floor if you do indeed rent and you are able to remove said box, and the floor doesnt match its a good bet when you move your security deposit will pay for the new floor to match !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

Chainsaw, sledgehammer, bulldozer.......Git 'er done by any means necessary in the name of home audio!!!

Just go slow.....and take your time....there might be pipes in there. [;)]

Ha! Leave a thread alone for a couple hours and look what happens? Don't worry everybod, I've got the Catepillar and the pneumatic drill ready to go.

My current plan is to just take a teensy peek. If there's nothing there I'll forge ahead myself. If it looks complicated, I'll ask my landlady to send over one of her men. Stay tuned, there could be some votes from previous elections hidden in there...

Ha! Leave a thread alone for a couple hours and look what happens? Don't worry everybod, I've got the Catepillar and the pneumatic drill ready to go.

My current plan is to just take a teensy peek. If there's nothing there I'll forge ahead myself. If it looks complicated, I'll ask my landlady to send over one of her men. Stay tuned, there could be some votes from previous elections hidden in there...

or you might find jimmy hoffa!

I'd follow coyote's advice and use a utility knife and cut a nice little hole in the dry wall that can be reeplaced and patched easily. No drill !!!!! Drills go through pipes and electrical wiring. Which both could create a major problem. There could be a dead end water pipe or electrical wiring there.