Unusual and very large horn speakers

greg928gts

My friend Sergei has gone off the deep end I think! Sergei is the guy who bought my restored "MKhorns" a few years ago. The Khorns have been replaced, and for the last year or so, he's been listening to some very unusual and large horn loaded bass bins in his listening room. They were very crudely built prototypes, he called them. He had his Ukrainian building crew build them for him.

Now he's having the same crew build another pair with better materials and a little more time spent on the quality of the build. I thought I'd post a couple of pictures.

Greg

post-11090-13819485998496_thumb.jpg

They were designed by two students from a Russian University. I guess they are studying audio related engineering and design. I got to meet them when I visited Sergei in Russia last year.

Each cabinet was designed for a single 15" woofer, although I think Sergei has been putting an 18" in them without changing the size of the throat or horn.

Greg

post-11090-13819485999076_thumb.jpg

why doesn't Sergei just convert the basement of his house to a bass horn?

Because that's currently where the swiming pool and home theater are.

He's having his crew build some very strange looking bass horns for the home theater room too. He calls them the dragon's mouth.

The entire swimming pool turns into a whirlpool!

Greg

His Khorns are going down in the living room I think.

I have not heard these big horns, he had them built after my visit.

I can't imagine they sound very good the way he's got them set up though. He's using the bass horns all the way up to 2Khz with the Beyma 18P1200Nd - woofer. He's got a Focal Crossblock crossover unit that he uses for the lows, then he uses another crossover for the Beyma PL150 tweeter. That's it. No midrange.

You know when you go listen to someone's system, and they are obviously so proud of it, and as the song is playing, the whole time you're listening intently, but thinking what you're going to say when the song is over because it just doesn't sound that good to you? You're trying to balance being diplomatic with an honest description that you can live with. Now imagine being invited half way across the world to go listen to a system and have that happen! I'm dreading this possibility.

When I listened to the "MKhorns" during my first visit it was fine, but I don't know about these things. With the proper midrange, tweeter, and crossover, I'm sure they'd sound terrific.

Greg

post-11090-13819486065458_thumb.jpg

I have been told now by a couple horn builders that about 750hz is the max but 600hz or lower is prefered for bass horns because vocals especially female vocals don't sound quite right coming from a bass horn. Of course IBSlammin told me this years ago only to have that backed up by two other horn builders. This also might explain why PWK used 600hz on the Jubilee even though it performed well out to 1khz. The voicing is what lowered the xover point.

Applications:

• Stadiums
  • Athletic fields
  • Arenas
  • Music pavilions
  • Large public gatherings

Or JC's living room[:o] Like Den from Heavy Metal, Umm Den big[:|] LOL