new delima RF-82's or RF-63's

camaromoe

Ok I'm sure by know everyone is getting annoyed with all of the questions but I've got a big one. I was in talking to my local klipsch dealer and he was saying that he was going to have to sell off his floor models on the rf-82's because I was hoping to have them in a week or so. So i asked if he had the 83's in stock and he said no that he could also sell those off of his floor. He said he could part with them for 1600.00 Now my question is do I go with the 82's that I had planned or get the 63's. I already have the money set aside so I was wondering if the upgrade was going to be worth it and if it would work ok with the rc62 or would it be awful. If i do go with the 63's it would be a little while until i could upgrade the center to the rc64. So once again all advise is being asked for and anyone that has somthing to offer to help me make a choice feel free to chime in. Thanks again, camaromoe

• Moderators

You are asking the wrong group. We'll help you spend all your money. :)

The RF-82's are great speakers. I have not heard the RF-63's but own the RF-83's. The RF-83's are beasts. No matter how much I drive them, they pound loud and clear. I have heard that the RF-63's are very similar to the RF-83's with less bass.

Audiogon has a pair of used RF-63's with minor blemishes for $1399 obo and a pair of used RF-82's for $959.

$1600 new isn't a bad price but not a fantastic price for used demo speakers.

FYI, ask all the questions you want. That's what the forums are for.

From your post, I am not sure if you are talking about buying the RF-83's or RF-63's. If he will sell his floor model 83's for $1600.00, then you better jump on it before someone else gets them. Now if you are talking about the 63's for $1600.00, that is not a "great" price. Better than retail but not great. As far as running an RC-62 with the RF-63's, not a perfect match but not bad either. I had that configuration for over a year before I bought my RC-64. Now I have a perfectly seamless front soundstage. You did not mention how much the RF-82's are for sale. FWIW, the RF-82 is without a doubt the best bang for the buck in the reference line. Stellar performance at a good price point.

For a little more $$$, take a look at this option.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1250810335&/Klipsch-rf-63--rc-64--rs-62-ch

Bill

• Moderators

This was just posted in another thread by csaxon.

Try www.wwstereo.com. They have b stock cherry rf-83's for about $700 each after the 20% discount. code is bstock20

If you are leaning towards the RF-63, you could pick up the RF-83's for less than what he was quoting you for the RF-63's.

If you were already leaning towards the RF-63's, you have two options:

Option 1: Get the RF-83's from wwstereo for less than you would have paid for the RF-63's.

Option 2: Call your local dealer and let him know what you can get the RF-83's for and see if he is willing to drop the price below what you can get the 83's for.If the price reduction is significant enough for you, you'll get an even better bargain on the 63's.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

OK new question and im sure yall will think it is stupid but a retailer in the metroplex is going out of business. He has the rf82's for 600.00 and the rf63's for 1100.00. Now my question is do I do the big upgrade now and get the 63's or go with the 82's and get the rs 52's which he has for400.00. I I can only do one or the other. I didn't really get to crank the 63's so I might not know what their fullest potential is, but with my virgin audio thought process ( Is the 63's worth twice the price of the 82's). Should I just get the 63's now and hope that another deal comes later to pick up the rs52's. Thanks for any help

I own the RF-83's and use the RF-82's as rear speakers. The tweeters on the RF-83's are better than the 82's in terms of clarity. You can hear the difference if they are both side by side. However, the RF-82's are great speakers for the price. I got them half off for $299 each at ultimate electronics during their thanksgiving sale.

The 82's build quality compared to the 83's is not as good and the 82's are made in China versus Arkansas for the 83's, but the 82 is a very solid speaker for $299/each that beats anything best buy normally carries.

The 83's I have were also demos and I bought them for half off MSRP at the time (I'm thinking this was $700/each and they were from a local Chicago area dealer). There was a ding on one of the corners, but it was on the back and isn't very noticeable at all. I definitely love the RF-83's over anything I've heard in the price category and they easily compare with much more expensive speakers I've heard.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with Wiland, I just picked up a pair of rf-82's from Ultimate Electronics on sale for $700/pr new sealed and full Klipsch warranty (authorized dealer). I feel like I got the deal of the decade. They are replacing a pair of KG-5.5's but these can now go in the living room. The 82's are flanking a Mitsubishi diamond series 73835 73" DLP. I am using an rc'62 for center and a pair of KSF-S5's for surround. I have an HSU VTF2-MKIII sub and am really enjoying myself these days. The 82's are truly remarkable----clear, clean, dynamic, LOUD! when you want them to be. All hail Klipsch!!

Hey etc6849----

Guess you got an even better deal then I did at Ultimate--you're right about the 83's but for the money.........unfortunately Ultimate did'nt have the 83's on a comparative sale nor do they ever.....wahhhh! But I am very happy with the 82's. Wish I had the room for the rc-64 but it is just too huge to put on a shelf above my screen and below is not an option.

• Moderators

He's right. The general rule is, if you can easily afford the speakers, they're not big enough.

I like the way you think, I agree !

He's right. The general rule is, if you can easily afford the speakers, they're not big enough.

I like the way you think, I agree ! Idea

totally agree... totally

thats my one post for today.. job done.. i can go back to sleep now.

I like the way you think, I agree ! Idea

totally agree... totally

thats my one post for today.. job done.. i can go back to sleep now.

i agree too