1911 Purchase and Value

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indy had the 1500 Gun Show again at the fairgrounds this weekend. I went with Kerry Friday after work. There were lots of toys for sale. Ammo prices are high but there is more availibility.

I bought 357 brass (last two bags) and 2400 powder along with a CCW holster for the XD9sc. I also lusted over many 1911 Kimbers and Springfields. There was a used XD45 that could have been bought with $450. All I needed was a push and I would have bought one of them. My wife would have been less than pleased if I did. But as the news unfolds she will come around.

Win,

I can see why you like the Kimbers. There is an attention to detail that just can't be ignored. There are also many models which make it confusing. So I can see why this may be a life long pursuit. I am also trying to understand the ergonomics of carrying a 1911. IWB backside is my target goal for CCW. Can it carry well with the regular length barrel or do I need a shorter variety VS the reliability of this shorter spring? That is the big question. Sorry for the code but it keeps the looky lews at bay. :)

How bout those Yankees? or the comi czars? Of course I am referring to baseball and Russia...

BTW... I just got a Lee 4 die press and loaded my first box of 357's Yahoo...Cheap Ammo! I still need a Crimp die for the 357 cal because I bought a 3 hole die earlier thinking that was what I was going to buy. Unique powder seems to measure low with the recommendation of using the .66 charge cylinder for 6 grains but I am told the 2400 is easier to measure. I stepped the cylinder up to a .71 which got me to 5.8 grns charge on Unique. I hope that is okay. They are going to go through my Dan Wesson which is well built so I am not concerned.

Everyone still with me?

Yup, everything but "But as the news unfolds she will come around.".

I'm guessing you can't or don't care/dare to elaborate on that here, but feel bad that the outlook apears so grim from where you are standing.

However, I'm a Canadian, so I can't possibly understand and may even be part of the great conspiracy, to destroy your way of life!LOL

Professor Thump was just seeing if anyone was paying attention out there in forum land. There are many things that need discussed but will not be a part of this forum. This place is for toys and not for serious issues that get people heated. And you Canadians can stick it in your ear!...[bs] Headphones that is... Can you feel the luv Dollar? [H]

Note to self...make headphone smiley to replace the [bs]

Just somethin' I put together many years ago...

Millett Series 100 Sights

Richard Hiene Barrel and dual port compensator

Milled bottom of compensator

Action job with 2 3/4 lb. trigger pull

Denny's Shooters Supply (now defunkt) shim kit for Series '70 conversion

King's Rod guide (2 piece)

King's Extended slide stop

Wilson's Extended thumb safety

Videki Adjustable trigger

Wilson's Extended grip safety

Extended magazine release with spring

Hogue Pau Ferro Wood grips formed to S&A main spring housing

Inletting of wood grips to clear slide stop

Smith & Alexander flat mainspring housing with magazine well

King's narrow slot grip screws

Wilson's 47DE Magazines with bumper pads (x2)

Wolff internal spring kit

Wilson's case extractor

Wilson's extended ejector

Dura-Chrome full gun plating

King's Four finger trigger spring

Safariland 008 holster

Not 1911's but they are my two current daily carry pieces.

92d_02.jpg

cougar1.jpg

A Beretta 92D and a Cougar 8000, both 9mm.

And when I can find .380 ammo I carry a PPK in a tuckable IWB kydex I made a little while ago.

ppk_kydex03.jpg

The holster is actually slightly different from the picture, there is a leather strut between the holster body and the belt loop now for a little more comfort.

So, How about those cubs?

LOL- good luck finding 380 ammo!!!!! Nice custom job and thumbs up on the berettas.. the wondernine that startted it all.

Went to the Greensboro NC show last weekend. 800 tables of good stuff. The surprise of the day.. 40 S&W ammo- American eagle for 14.00 a box of 50. 9MM for 12.00 for 50 45 s hardball- good stuff- federal for 20 for 50. No 380s.. no 357s

Black rifles..CHEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! New Colts for under a grand-- Smiths as well. DPMS for 800. High standards for 700. Lots of them for sale.

Lots of kimbers but no deals. 1911 parts guins in average condition going for north of 1100.00

I'm new to all of this but my wife and I looked at a Sig Sauer P238 for concelaed. I believe that it is a 1911 variant. It is a great size but the whole "cocked and locked" thing scares both of us.

We picked up two Glock C26's today for both of use to carry concealed. We had shot one in our gun class and each of us loved it (even though we were told not to get Glockas by a friend - bad advice). I bought one and my wife had said last week that she wanted an airweight snub-nosed S&W 38. She already has a Taurus 85 snub nose. She read up on the Glock online and warmed up to an automatic, and she really liked shooting our instructors gun. When she saw mine today she wanted to order one right there. Another customer next to us was picking up his C26 and realized that he meant to order a C27 40mm. So we were able to walk out with his and hers C26 9mm's.

One interesting thing about the 26 sub-compact, I though that I was going to need an extended magazine or a Pierce finger extension for it to feel right. We bough two C19 15 round magazines to go with them and it does feel like a good sized handle, but honestly, the short handle and curling my pinky under the handle actually feels pretty good. It does not feel unatural at all. I am going to get used to shooting it both ways and then carry the standard 10 round magazine for concealed because it is a nice compact size.

A guy on Youtube with a bunch of Glocks said that he liked the standard magazine and after handling the gun more I'd say that I agree. I'll need to shoot it to see if that holds up.

We picked up two Glock C26's today for both of use to carry concealed. We had shot one in our gun class and each of us loved it (even though we were told not to get Glockas by a friend - bad advice). I bought one and my wife had said last week that she wanted an airweight snub-nosed S&W 38. She already has a Taurus 85 snub nose. She read up on the Glock online and warmed up to an automatic, and she really liked shooting our instructors gun. When she saw mine today she wanted to order one right there. Another customer next to us was picking up his C26 and realized that he meant to order a C27 40mm. So we were able to walk out with his and hers C26 9mm's.

One interesting thing about the 26 sub-compact, I though that I was going to need an extended magazine or a Pierce finger extension for it to feel right. We bough two C19 15 round magazines to go with them and it does feel like a good sized handle, but honestly, the short handle and curling my pinky under the handle actually feels pretty good. It does not feel unatural at all. I am going to get used to shooting it both ways and then carry the standard 10 round magazine for concealed because it is a nice compact size.

A guy on Youtube with a bunch of Glocks said that he liked the standard magazine and after handling the gun more I'd say that I agree. I'll need to shoot it to see if that holds up.

There were lots of Glock for sale for $325 each + Colts tax. They were Marion county Sheriff sales.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/ingo_at_the_indy_1500/50710-cool_and_or_unusual_finds_or_deals.html

Professor Thump...I thought I'd share this since it is partially your fault...some of you others are to blame as well...

My Mil-Spec from Project Street Gun Class #1 is back in my possession again...I assembled this pistol while taking a Project Street Gun class put on by world renown pistol smith Teddy Jacobson and Stephen A. Camp (Handguns and Hi Powers) in 2005...it was to showcase a quality, built and affordable platform to which was added impeccably finished internal parts, all hand fitted but installed by the student...

I took the class so I could learn more about the 1911A1 type pistols and it was well worth my time and effort and I must say the huge efforts put forth by Teddy and Stephen...

I have two other 1911s done over by Teddy Jacobson ( www.actionsbyt.com ) and even though I worked on it, the G.I. grip safety meant this one saw the least hip time...a friend intended to send his TRP in to Teddy so he had the Mil-Spec for a time...

...http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...highlight=teddy ...but some time later, another buddy needed a back up to his duty 1911A1 and I grudgingly obliged PSG (Project Street Gun)...

Last week, my buddy told me he was planning on doing some stuff and was asking me about our credit union and loans and all...I spent several days looking at 1911 pistols in my area when the lightbulb went off (ok, perhaps it was just a candle)...if I'm going to buy another 1911 pistol...why not buy the one I know best???...talked to my buddy who said he was just thinking of asking me if I would be interested in buying it back but was afraid I would be insulted...he had carried it a few times but had never shot it...

Well...today I got her back and I think the third time is the charm...if any more of my buddies needs a 1911...they will have to hit up another guy...

Bill

post-16919-1381949953272_thumb.jpg

Getting ready to retire, and having fooled around with HK's, Beretta's, SW's, Glocks, etc., etc. I finally decided that I wanted to go out with what I started with... Traded my old HK-USP, even across, for this (NIB, Auto Ordnance 1911A1). I only paid about $550 for the USP several years ago, so it was a good trade.

I am now happy. Bone stock, no frills. I am happy with the standard "course" trigger with the heavy pull' never really bothered me. Only thing "extra" use is the "drop in" comp style barrel nut that I used on my 45's back long time ago. Since it's not on the barrel, it does not affect accuracy one way or another. I discovered it years ago, used it and it cuts down on the rise.

I need to buy some more mags and "lap" them on a blanchard ground steel plate to remove burrs, etc. so they eject quickly and without any binding.

May do some polishing on the ramp, and some other "moving parts", but as likely as not just break it in old style with a couple hundred rounds of "ole fashioned" 230 grain mil FMJ ball and see how it comes out.

Does your Auto Ordinance take standard 1911 magazines?

There were some at a local gun dealer before I moved that had the mag catch slightly higher than a standard 1911 so regular mags wouldn't work.

We thought at first it was a fluke but two of the guns did the same thing and wouldn't take mags from a Colt or a RIA but the Colt and the RIA would interchange.

I can't remember if the AO was labeled as a standard 1911A1 or not but it looked like one

A funny story(sort of),

The last time I shot a 1911 it was my buddies AMT hardballer.

The previous range trip the front site had unstaked itself and dissappeared.

We were trying to work through some feeding issues with it so we were plinking with it sans front site.

Afte about two mags I noticed that I was not hitting anything at all when trying to align the rear site with the front of the barrel.

Much to our chagrin we discovered that the screw holding the rear "adjustable" site down had gone AWOL and was now lost amongst the discarded brass and grass at our feet.

The other funny thing that range trip was when my buddy slammed a fresh mag in his Steyr M9A1 and the mag seated with such force that the top round ejected unfired before the slide closed by itself.

I also used to have an AMT (Arcadia Machine and Tool) but mine was the Longslide. Same one from the first of the Terminator movies.

Bought some aftermarket goody parts for a 1911A1 and they needed more massaging that I deemed to be worth all the effort to get them all to work together.

Four months later I sold it and ordered a Cold Gold Cup National Match in stainless steel as seen earlier in this thread. That's the one I started playing with.