Anniversary KHorns in the basement?

Bofkont

Dear all, I'm new to this group and only since yesterday fully aware of Klipschorns. I could listen and compare the big Palladiums against the 60th Anniversary Klipschorn. Don't want to offend anyone but the horns blew away everything. I've been interested in audio since +25 yrs and played with Cabasse Sloop and KEF 107 (the big bandpass system). All modified with decent cable and crossovers. Sometimes I was really involved, but most of the time just listening to loudspeakers I now realise. With the horns I was really involved with the music. Tuck & Patti, Cecilia Bartoli, Keith Jarrett, Rickie Lee Jones, they all were with me in the room. I'm seriously tempted to buy the horns, for a reasonable price, but it is still a lot of money. I would drive them with Marantz MA-24 class A monoblocks. The setup would be a 2 channel seperate in the basement/cellar of 13x30 with a low ceiling of about 7 ft.

My Q to the community would be if this low ceiling will work out well since accoustics seem to be very important and the recommendation of having +8 ft. ceilings from PWK. It is a concrete house, no echo, carpets etc.

Cheers

Dirk

"Dear all, I'm new to this group and only since yesterday fully aware of Klipschorns. I could listen and compare the big Palladiums against the 60th Anniversary Klipschorn."

Not to pry, but with your obvious audiophile-awareness, how is it that you only now "discovered" Klipschorns? Also, can you describe more specifically your impressions on Khorns versus the new big Palladiums?

Not to pry, but with your obvious audiophile-awareness, how is it that you only now "discovered" Klipschorns? Also, can you describe more specifically your impressions on Khorns versus the new big Palladiums?

I simply never had the chance to listen to any of them; they are rare and were very expensive. American speakers to me were electrostat, magnetostats and hybrids with accompanying local heating sources like krell and accoustic research amps. It all reminded me of "nothing replaces cubic inches". Krell's philosophy is quite the opposite as you guys have been aware of much longer. Anyway it was a bit of a revelation.

As I said in my first post the Palladium 39 speakers very much sounded like high end speakers I have listened to more often. Great workmanship but you're still auditing speakers and not always listening to music. The way the Khorns handled the musical material swept me of my feet. The involvement you get is staggering and is lacking in other setups I have listened to. It will take some while to get used to because there is little or no coloration of the box itself, they're not sweet at all and yes slightly hornlike if you're not used to it. IMHO incomparable to the 39F's but than again I don't want to put people off who are totally happy with them. I have been for years with my KEF 107's. They used to be more expensive than Khorns BTW.....

So to sum it up: it is not the analytical mind that is triggered by deeper bass or clearer mids; it's more the musical mind that has a different sense of time and seems directly connected to the emotional brain.

It so happens I just got a mail from my dealer with a very tempting offer. He has two pairs of 60th's: one with a flamboyant and the other with a more quiet veneer. I think I'll go for the loud one!

Cheers,

Dirk

It so happens I just got a mail from my dealer with a very tempting offer. He has two pairs of 60th's: one with a flamboyant and the other with a more quiet veneer. I think I'll go for the loud one!

Cheers,

Dirk

Dirk,

There is only one 60th Anniversary K Horn (as far as I know). If there is no price difference, make sure you get the rare 60th special edition model.

Here is what it looks like:

http://www.buy.com/prod/klipsch-60th-anniversary-klipschorn-pr-3-way-heritage-series-floorst/q/loc/111/204587913.html

It had a $3500 premium here in the states ($11,000 vs $7500). Make sure you know what you are getting and good luck to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your advice and friendly words; just want to give an update of a significant moment. A moment of truth when finally the giants arrived this morning. These are the original 60th anniversary edition Klipschorns pair no.170 with beautiful veneer, very rich. What can I say? Familiar CD's sound different, especially voices have a different timbre. Some revelations like de Diana Schuur from GRP, sounds excellent now or the ZENPH reperformances of Glenn Gould. Brilliant!

I have to tweak the room accoustics and find myself a nice SET amp. Many of the makes discussed in this forum don't sell in Europe. One could buy Unison Research, Dynavox, Yarland, Destiny or Cayin that seem rather affordable. MacIntosh and other premiums are outragiously expensive here. Any suggestions are welcome!

cheers!

dirk

I know there are folks on the forum who have Cayin. They are well thought of, it seems.

Congratulations, Dirk. Post some snaps when you have opportunity.

Once you get accustomed to these, other speakers will sound flat and dull by comparison.

• 4 months later...

dear friends

it has been a while. It took me a few months to finish the basement, redecorate and set up the system alright.

I'm fine now as you would probably have guessed. I (and invitees) am very pleased with what I hear. Spoiled for ever.....[;)]

Just to show off, I'll try post some pictures.

I'm, particularly proud of the ceiling with frames fitted with BASOTECT and finished with white speaker cloth:

original.aspx

and the other side, with a lot of good sounding books:

original.aspx

If it would interest anyone I can also explain how I tweaked the audio gear.

best regards!

dirk

No offense to those who have mentioned the 7 foot ceiling not affecting the sonics, but it will affect it.

Richard Heyser did a very thorough technical review of the Klipschorn for Audio Magazine. It is included in the Audio Papers I provided for Forum members and is now available in PDF which I've reposted here. see page 83

How audible or to what extent this bothers you may be somewhat dependent on the room's acoustics and the kind of music you listen to. The tweeter will reflect off the ceiling (its the 3rd sound component to reach us) which may result in "a problem with the upper-midrange clarity". To void this potential "problem" it is recommended that the Khorns will sound best in a very large room, with a high ceiling and a heavily carpeted floor.

Welcome to the forum Dirk.

No need to worry about hurting anyone's feelings here. The ratio of Khorns to Palladium owners here is about 1,000 to 1. Anyway, we welcome all opinions.

The 60th's are REALLY special, even for Khorns. I agree, go with the loud ones! I have my Khorns in a less than perfect room and they sound terrific.

Congrats and keep us posted.

hi Artto

Thanks for the comments. I was aware of the topic and it helped me decide to get rid of ceiling reflections. Curtains help, carpet does, a big sofa does but treating the ceiling made a difference especially for women voices. Basotect is an interesting material and is used in some german cars, some Lexus and aeroplanes as sound absorber. Tons of books in the back help absorb basses and act as Helmholtz absorbers ( I like to think that).

Next and probably last will be a large carpet in front of the speakers, and maybe some canvasses/oilpainting on the side walls....

I love my Khorns!

cheers

Dirk