What size screen?

Coytee

OK... so I didn't write down any legit numers last night so I might be foggy on them.

If you have a 16' wide room and will be sitting roughly 12 to 14 feet from the screen.... what size screen would be the right proportion?

Also... how do you decide where the screen goes vertically? How many inches from the floor (up), or how many inches from the ceiling (down) should the center of the screen be?

Wife & I were in the downstairs room last night trying to figure out some of these issues so we (she) can decide how she wants to place some things.

• Moderators

Wife & I were in the downstairs room last night trying to figure out some of these issues so we (she) can decide how she wants to place some things.

That's easy tell her that's your room and the only thing she needs to place is her butt when she wants to watch or listen. Will that fly ? [:$] Tell her you were hoping for a stripper pole over in the corner for weekends with your new friends you met in town? [:P]

• Moderators

My room is 13' wide and my front row is 12' back. I chose to go with a 103" 2.35:1 scope screen. If my room was 3' wider, I would go with a 110" or maybe a 120" screen if it would fit.

Have you decided whether you were going to use a 16:9 or a scope screen (2.35:1 or wider)?

As far as how high to make it, the general rule is to have your eyes within the bottom third of your screen.

In your room size I would go with a 120" screen assuming you will have a 1080P projector. If you have a standard height (8' to 9') room I would proabaly drop the top of the screen down about a foot to help reduce the reflections off of the ceiling if you plan on a 16:9 screen (more for a scope screen).

Old room I sat 13' from 62" TV looked about right size.

New room I sat 12' from same 62" and it seemed too big and too high due to bottom speakers. Now watching a 55" and it looks too small and a little low. New mount going in soon. The new Vizio VF551XVT LED LCD sure puts the old Mits DLP 1080i WD62725 to shame on PQ and has much less screen glare.

I'm sitting in a room, 18' from a 56" HD and it looks fine. Go to a store and stand at your distance from various sizes and pick the one that suits you. In regards to what distance off the floor, I like to look at the screen where the bottom is at eye level, so it's going to come down to what you like and the furniture and if you're sitting down or laying down and from where, when you're watching T.V. and when you decide all of that, tell your wife to place her objects accordingly, without messing with the view or the sound. IMO. You are OCD, just like the rest of us, just accept it.[:S]

1) Where do you Like sit at the Movies? Front or the Back? Center? Answer this question and figure out the ratio of distance to screen and screen width at the movies and you have your answer. Too wide and it is hard to take it all in, too narrow and looks like a 19" TV. Some people have more peripheral vision than others -- what width looks best is personal choice.

2) The screen center should be as close to eye level as possible, WAF and fitting everthing become an issue. . .

I set 12 feet from a 6 foot by 4 foot screen. I have a 720p projector. So I guess my calculator is double the width of the screen and set there. I just put in the biggest that I could fit there. I think bigger is better as any woman would tell you.

I set 12 feet from a 6 foot by 4 foot screen. I have a 720p projector. So I guess my calculator is double the width of the screen and set there. I just put in the biggest that I could fit there. I think bigger is better as any woman would tell you.

You sit...........................not set...........................................ROTFLMAO. it's all good!

I thought it was more like "screen size diagonal (inches) * 1.5 = viewing distance (inches)" which is basically that chart. For me, I have a 52" screen, and sit about 7' from it, and it ist just near perfrect for TV and BlueRay....actually been told could be larger. But yeah, so thats 52 * 1.5 = 78, and I site 84", so that is just about right.

You don't want the screen to high up, otherwise your going to 'strain' your neck. Someone put it, your eye level should be around 1/3 up from bottom at least.