Do the significant others have a regular meeting called ATAFAOAI

Pete H

My wife was out of tow for 10 days at the begining of Nov. When she got home we hade two belle's and a lascala center. She just laughed and said she didn't have to worry about how much yarn and material she had bought. Luckly we don't have to worry about the finacial side, besides i got good deals on used equipment. By the way she is out of town right now, I better go down stairs and listen loud for awhile.

My wife was a saint! She was always putting up with me having friends over with instruments... drums in the basement or living room, amps and audio gear spread all over, while we recorded this or that song. SHe never complained about it, and fixed snacks and brought us drinks.

The size of the speakers wasn't the problem, only the cost. I only recently got something larger than the JBL 4311s and Heresies (which she liked a lot).

Bruce

My wife was out of tow for 10 days at the begining of Nov. When she got home we hade two belle's and a lascala center. She just laughed and said she didn't have to worry about how much yarn and material she had bought. Luckly we don't have to worry about the finacial side, besides i got good deals on used equipment. By the way she is out of town right now, I better go down stairs and listen loud for awhile.

No, go out and buy more stuff.

My wife just says as long as she has money to shop along with my purchases she has no problem. However she does think I do spend to much time on the comp listening to music. Crap here she comes got to go fellas.

As far as the mowers go, I have a cheap 6hp 21" cut yardman walmart special the in-laws gave me when we moved into our first house. Keeping the blade sharp and motor tuned up its given me 7 years of nice strait lines. I to love mowing my yard, gives me that hour or two alone. If I took up the challenge to get my wife to mow the yard I would figure 8 looking shapes of missed cut lawn.

duder

For years, the "stereo" was, well..... just some "man stuff"...... When I was deployed to Bosnia for almost 2 years, I distinctly remembered a phone call about mid way through my tour.... "Honey, the TV speakers don't work anymore and I want to use the stereo system in the living room so I can listen to "All my Children...", what do I do?"

When I returned, it seems she turned it on and left it on for almost a year. Sansui AU-11000 and two pairs of Heresy's..... All she did was turn the TV on or off and turned the amp volume knob up to where she wanted it......

But all that changed when I finally got a pair of LaScala's. She "likes" the K'horns and the other "speakers", but those LaScala's.... lemme' tell you, those are hers, and if the bedroom system is not up and running, there's hell to pay!!!

She also likes the Cornwalls in the living room, but I can move those around all day and she really does not care that much....

It's funny.... Now she knows what quality sound is, and admits that for a hobby, I at least have something that looks nice in the home.

Lawn mowers.... Now that's another story..... I have an old, old 1988 10HP Craftsman riding mower that still works just fine. The deck does not adjust anymore, so it's set at the highest level and functions as a "pasture" topper..... Two old, old vintage early 90's Craftsman push mowers.... (Unless a mower blows the crankshaft out, I never throw them away...) Just sharpen the blades and clean the carbs every year, change the oil, etc. Probably outlast us all. About 6 years ago I broke down and got a new riding Crafsman mower so now anyone in the family can cut the yard area without a heatstroke.... I always found that if you keep the things cleaned and keep them dry, and in the garage, they can last forever.... I did have to put tubes in the riding mower tires though....

Groomlake,

Your wife is much like mine. She didn't really "get" why I dropped a pair of Cornwalls in the living room 8 years ago, they were just a nice pair of speakers in the living room to her. She was OK with it, and my various attempts to match those with other speakers for an HT. But it was mostly "man toys" at that point.

Then I brought in the Belle Klipsch. Those grabbed her attention. She liked the look - a LOT. Played around with those on various solid state gear. But the real fun began when we started running tubes on the Belles - and that got her hooked. ESPECIALLY once I started getting serious with the MC30 rebuilds. She was as taken in by tubes as I was, and it seemed that was the point where she really began to appreciate the finer points of these systems. She notices many tube rolls I have done without prompting, and while she doesn't know a pentode from a triode, she definitely has a good ear and she can hear and appreciate results.

The fact that my wife likes antiques in most any fashion helps when you are building systems from vintage Klipsch and tubes. The next step wasn't much of a leap at that point - just one degree of separation, if you will, to her enjoying the results.

Now she's in the "inner information circle" on our systems, knowing fully what the future plans/finishing touches are, and a better idea of why. She's always been into music, and now she has a much greater appreciation for the gear that makes the music here too. That in turn makes the hobby even that much more enjoyable, because it is shared to a much greater extent than seems typical on audio forums. It's a bonus I didn't anticipate - at least to that degree of success.

The "extra refer" is a big silver box that gets cold. Hey guys, not EVERYONE in Ca gets into that funny stuff!Surprise

As far as the wife goes, she lets me have my speakers and audio but when I ask her what she thinks about how it sounds, about the best she can come up with is "well it's louder"Surprise

That's just a really funny stereotype, and go Arnold for governor, married to a bleeding herat liberal that controls the TERMINATOR! You gotta love that shi&